• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yay! I finally got my computer back last night and the full Avast scan found nothing wrong. Better not have been! The hard drive was completely wiped and it now has Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, which has stronger protection. In addition, it also has Office 2016. Fortunately, I lost no data. Although, my development stuff is backed up with google sync and backup, and since it hadn't synced since I started having problems, I should have been able to recover the products I'm working on. I DO need to figure out what to do about my runtimes. I so would not want to have to reinstall everything ... especially since the DAZ install backups were hit (being the old installs were executables).

Now that I'm not so frustrated with computer issues, I started feeling less and less happy with the computer I'd ordered. First ... it was over the budget I'd set ... and I'm normally not easily persuaded to go over a budget I establish. I'm also not entirely sure I got the discounts I should have. Every time I asked him if he needed my employer's ID (we get the same discount as an employee that our company gets as a not for profit), he'd say ... don't worry (be happy?), I'll get you the best discount. He said the same thing when I told him my budget.

Every time I suggested I didn't need exactly what he was configuring, he'd say ... don't worry. I'll get you the best discount. Blah, blah, blah. Of course, once he totaled everything up, he commented he hadn't been able to bring the price down to my budget after all. No kidding? I already KNEW that since the configuration I'd put together was just hitting my budget. That's when I should have said. So sorry. No sale. And I would have if I hadn't been so frustrated over having no computer for over a week. One should never shop when one is frustrated. But of course, Memorial Day weekend has those sales ... and prices were discounted 35% until June 1. Which was one of the discounts I'm not sure he included.

I was also rather annoyed he'd insisted on a 4TB hard drive rather than the 2TB I wanted (he claimed the smaller would be more expensive), and that he also insisted the Quadro P2000 would be more expensive than the P4000. The processor is more important than the graphics card for 3D from what I understand ... and I can't imagine the Quadro P2000 wouldn't have been sufficient. Not like I play all that many games anymore on the computer. Who has time?!?

I also wasn't all that sure I needed to go up to a 4.5 GHz processor when the 3.6 I have seems to be plenty powerful for rendering and what not. I'm not normally so "accommodating" to aggressive salesmen. So ... in the wee hours of the morning, I cancelled the order, and I included an explanation as to why.

Men who treat me like a pushover simply can't be allowed to win :wink:

I am woman ... hear me roar!

I am Scorpio ... feel my sting.

Best of all ... I feel good about my decision to cancel the order. While I didn't quite feel as good about my decision to place the order. Actually ... I never did decide to place it. While we were still reviewing the configuration, he placed the order. I was a bit shocked when he did that. That's never happened to me before.

When I DO decide to order a new computer, I'm going to check with my boss to see if I can use the rep who he works with.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Gah it's 4.25am and I have been awake since 3ish, the alarm is going to go off at 7 and I have a very full and busy day ahead. Sleep where are you?!?!?!

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Probably keeping my sleep company.

I was awake until well after 3:30 am and my alarm was set for 6:25 am. I debated sleeping another half hour or hour since it's my choice to start at 6:30 am on my telecommuting days. My schedule is 9 am to 5 pm, but we have more flexibility on our telecommuting days. We just have to put in 7.5 hours. Times when I can't sleep, it would be nice to be able to start BEFORE 6:30 am. But I think that would be pushing it.

Mornings have always been difficult for me, but it seems when I don't have to get up and dressed and go out in the world, it's much easier to start my day early. And, I really like being done for the day by 2:30 pm. The only days I don't start working until 9 on my telecommute days is when we will be "dismissed" at 3 pm because of holidays.

So, rather than reset the alarm this morning, I got up and sent the email to my manager that my day started at 6:30 am.

Charles West

Adventurous

I was raised by a 4'11 3/4" red headed Scorpio. She realized that by the age of 12 any of her sons would be looking down to say yes mam so she instilled the fear of the commandant's voice. We were so used to doing what we were told to do instantly. After I had moved out and went by to visit one Saturday I heard the Commandant's voice say. "I said .... EVERYONE! sit down and BE QUIET!" Without another thought my butt found the nearest chair and after a moment I chuckled at the reaction. I waited until one of the other siblings wandered to the front room and he went running to mom saying that she wouldn't believe who was in the front room. She walked in and laughed knowing that at least one of her children knew how to listen.

I thought you might appreciate the story.

Hornet3d

Wise
Gah it's 4.25am and I have been awake since 3ish, the alarm is going to go off at 7 and I have a very full and busy day ahead. Sleep where are you?!?!?!

That is a situation I can relate to and I am often sat reading the forum in the early hours of the morning. I try for a while but some nights sleep just evades me completely and it seems to get worse the older I get.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
I think I have managed to doze a bit, the alarm has just gone off and I know I need to get up but it's bloody freezing! I can see my breath!

Hornet3d

Wise
Yay! I finally got my computer back last night and the full Avast scan found nothing wrong. Better not have been! The hard drive was completely wiped and it now has Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, which has stronger protection. In addition, it also has Office 2016. Fortunately, I lost no data. Although, my development stuff is backed up with google sync and backup, and since it hadn't synced since I started having problems, I should have been able to recover the products I'm working on. I DO need to figure out what to do about my runtimes. I so would not want to have to reinstall everything ... especially since the DAZ install backups were hit (being the old installs were executables).

Now that I'm not so frustrated with computer issues, I started feeling less and less happy with the computer I'd ordered. First ... it was over the budget I'd set ... and I'm normally not easily persuaded to go over a budget I establish. I'm also not entirely sure I got the discounts I should have. Every time I asked him if he needed my employer's ID (we get the same discount as an employee that our company gets as a not for profit), he'd say ... don't worry (be happy?), I'll get you the best discount. He said the same thing when I told him my budget.

Every time I suggested I didn't need exactly what he was configuring, he'd say ... don't worry. I'll get you the best discount. Blah, blah, blah. Of course, once he totaled everything up, he commented he hadn't been able to bring the price down to my budget after all. No kidding? I already KNEW that since the configuration I'd put together was just hitting my budget. That's when I should have said. So sorry. No sale. And I would have if I hadn't been so frustrated over having no computer for over a week. One should never shop when one is frustrated. But of course, Memorial Day weekend has those sales ... and prices were discounted 35% until June 1. Which was one of the discounts I'm not sure he included.

I was also rather annoyed he'd insisted on a 4TB hard drive rather than the 2TB I wanted (he claimed the smaller would be more expensive), and that he also insisted the Quadro P2000 would be more expensive than the P4000. The processor is more important than the graphics card for 3D from what I understand ... and I can't imagine the Quadro P2000 wouldn't have been sufficient. Not like I play all that many games anymore on the computer. Who has time?!?

I also wasn't all that sure I needed to go up to a 4.5 GHz processor when the 3.6 I have seems to be plenty powerful for rendering and what not. I'm not normally so "accommodating" to aggressive salesmen. So ... in the wee hours of the morning, I cancelled the order, and I included an explanation as to why.

Men who treat me like a pushover simply can't be allowed to win :wink:

I am woman ... hear me roar!

Best of all ... I feel good about my decision to cancel the order. While I didn't quite feel as good about my decision to place the order. Actually ... I never did decide to place it. While we were still reviewing the configuration, he placed the order. I was a bit shocked when he did that. That's never happened to me before.

When I DO decide to order a new computer, I'm going to check with my boss to see if I can use the rep who he works with.

If you are not happy with the computer when you order it then you are never going to be happy with it. Though I have not done so recently I spent about 12 years building computers both privately and professionally and most of the time working well with the customers in question but there were a few who seemed set on the road to destruction. I politely refused to build two computers privately because the spec the customer was after would not work well together and far more expensive than it needed to be for the performance. To have built them would only have caused me ongoing grief when the customer found the pitfalls, of course refusal is the advantage you have when it is a private build.

You seem to have a very clear idea of what you need so I would stick to your guns next time around unless the builder can justify the reason for a deviation.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yes indeed. I should have taken lessons from her!

I was born on the cusp of Libra and Scorpio (Oct 23), so it wasn't until I was in my 40s that the Scorpio appeared and commanded the Libra to SIT DOWN and BE QUIET. Life is so much easier with the Scorpio in charge.

I was raised by a 4'11 3/4" red headed Scorpio. She realized that by the age of 12 any of her sons would be looking down to say yes mam so she instilled the fear of the commandant's voice. We were so used to doing what we were told to do instantly. After I had moved out and went by to visit one Saturday I heard the Commandant's voice say. "I said .... EVERYONE! sit down and BE QUIET!" Without another thought my butt found the nearest chair and after a moment I chuckled at the reaction. I waited until one of the other siblings wandered to the front room and he went running to mom saying that she wouldn't believe who was in the front room. She walked in and laughed knowing that at least one of her children knew how to listen.

I thought you might appreciate the story.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's the first time I've ever had such a poor experience with a Dell rep. Always before they were helpful and deferred to me in configuring my systems. While not everyone researchs what they need or need something a bit more powerful than an email/browsing computer, some of us do the homework because ... we have specific needs that an off the shelf computer isn't going to fill.

Most frustrating is that as the Precision is a graphics workstation, it's not considered a personal computer, but a business computer. So you have to deal with the business, rather than the personal group. One would think business reps would be more inclined to listen to the customer. I do wonder if the problem was that I am female, and he was in a country where men tend to make the decisions.

Absolutely, I'd have probably spent the rest of my life with a little voice in the back of my head complaining about the experience.

If you are not happy with the computer when you order it then you are never going to be happy with it. Though I have not done so recently I spent about 12 years building computers both privately and professionally and most of the time working well with the customers in question but there were a few who seemed set on the road to destruction. I politely refused to build two computers privately because the spec the customer was after would not work well together and far more expensive than it needed to be for the performance. To have built them would only have caused me ongoing grief when the customer found the pitfalls, of course refusal is the advantage you have when it is a private build.

You seem to have a very clear idea of what you need so I would stick to your guns next time around unless the builder can justify the reason for a deviation.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I was born on the cusp of Libra and Scorpio (Oct 23), so it wasn't until I was in my 40s that the Scorpio appeared and commanded the Libra to SIT DOWN and BE QUIET. Life is so much easier with the Scorpio in charge.
Well my birthday's the day after yours, and I'm convinced I've been a full on Scorpio since the day I was born. My mom was the Libra in the family, and even though she was only 5 feet, and never had a commandant's voice, my brother and I listened if we knew what was good for us.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
My mom wasn't all that scary ... not even considering she was tall. But, all she had to do was threaten us with dad, and we fell into place. No one wanted to be punished by dad! Though, I don't actually remember ever being spanked. But dad did have a rather hot Italian temper. One I inherited and spent a lot of years learning to control. The Libra probably helped with that :p

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Yeah, Scorpios with hot tempers can't be controlled. My old boss learned that the hard way.

Charles West

Adventurous
My mom wasn't all that scary ... not even considering she was tall. But, all she had to do was threaten us with dad, and we fell into place. No one wanted to be punished by dad! Though, I don't actually remember ever being spanked. But dad did have a rather hot Italian temper. One I inherited and spent a lot of years learning to control. The Libra probably helped with that :p

mom 4 11 and dad 6 6. but dad was a pushover and mom was the one in charge.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Glad to hear that things are looking up Dreamer...I hope the shift went well.

Hornet, I hope everything has improved for you also...

Hi to everyone else...I hope things are going well for everyone! Sorry I'm not around much at the moment...been busy writing reports.

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
@Pendraia mostly moved and unpacked get the last lot shifted Wednesday. Looking up? Yeah I guess or at lest not about to get any bleaker so that's good Right?
Sorry not one of my better days :cry:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
:grouphug:Not bleaker is good...being a single parent is always difficult...its been a while but still remember what its like. I hope your day improves.