• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

The Anchorage, Part 3

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I remember my nephew's high school graduation, which was held at night because of the heat in Tucson that time of year. I had to hand my camera to my sister-in-law, and then sit down on one of the stadium steps. I sat there with my head between my knees, because I felt like I was about to pass out from the heat. It took a while until I felt it passed.

The next day we took the kids, and one of my sister-in-law's friends with her daughter, up to a picnic area up one of the mountains. I sat slumped in the corner of the back seat of the car until we gained some nice altitude, and the air had gotten a lot cooler.

Those were probably the worst problems I ever had all the years I went to visit, and am not sure why the heat hit me more that year than any other, but it was a bit scary.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Not necessarily, as I don't recall anyone else having problems either of those times, so it just may have been me.

I do remember once going to Tucson for a week, and then flying up to Las Vegas for a long weekend, and when I got into the taxi to go to my hotel from the airport, I asked the driver what the temp was, and when he told me it was something like 105º, I jokingly said "oh, you folks are having a cool wave", at which he almost slammed his foot on the brake. I then told him not to worry, as I had just come from Tucson where it was 112º. Then he chuckled. As the saying goes, it's all relative. They both felt pretty much the same to me.

Once the temps get up that high, the only difference is the humidity, and out in that area of the country, the humidity is nothing compared to what we get during the summer. We may have temps in the low-mid 90s, but when the humidity is up in the 80-85% range, it's unbearable. ~Sheesh~

Terre

Renowned
I've never heard of anything being delayed because of heat. Only rain. That may change as they are expecting a hotter than usual summer so we'll see.
105-110 is common here in summer. 112+ usually only happens a few times a year. They do feel the same to me. To hot to be outside.
90s with the humidity you guys have would be unbearable to me too. 90s with our dry heat is time to stay indoors whenever possible for me.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, the humidity is a killer for me. I don't like going out on days with high temps, even if the humidity is down in the 40%-50% range, but will if necessary. When the humidity get's above that, I'll stay inside no matter what. Geeze, I cringe just thinking about it.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I'd rather pay for tech support than be bitten by a mosquito! A long, long time ago, I thought it was cool to be able to build my own computer or troubleshoot them. Now ... I get in a seriously foul mood if I have to do any thing "techie" with a computer. Which is why, I paid for someone else to get work on my computer when I ended up with malware I couldn't get rid of.

Hornet3d

Wise
I'd rather pay for tech support than be bitten by a mosquito! A long, long time ago, I thought it was cool to be able to build my own computer or troubleshoot them. Now ... I get in a seriously foul mood if I have to do any thing "techie" with a computer. Which is why, I paid for someone else to get work on my computer when I ended up with malware I couldn't get rid of.

A strange transition but one I have also passed through. These days I just want my computer to work and get very frustrated if I have to spend time just getting it back into working order. So far I have not had to pay for tech support but I have already decided that I will pay to have my next computer built (when I have the money) for me even though I have the skills to do it myself.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
One of my coworkers always tells me I'm such a techie. I immediately correct her, as I absolutely do NOT consider myself to be a techie, nor do I like technology very much, other than how it can save me time or make something easier to do. But I have no desire to spend hours learning new technology or keeping current on existing technology ... it's freaking boring. Unless it's art related, and even then, I find most tutorials, especially video, frustratingly annoying.

Oh ... I did first level support for years, even though I was a Word Processor. But that involved other employees coming to me with a problem, me verifying there was a problem that wasn't fixed by rebooting, calling the real tech support people, explaining the problem, and scheduling their visit. That eventually expanded to being responsible for budgeting and purchasing software, as well as installing and maintaining the legality of company software. Which then led to being trained and becoming the network administrator for our office when the company installed Banyan Vines in all offices. That led to planning, budgeting, and installing the network when we moved to a new building, as well as for the Boise office when it was opened.

My favorite story is when our branch manager was planning the move to the new building, he demanded Corporate do the network install. Not only did the Corporate IT Director inform my branch manager I was more then capable of the network install, he gave a glowing review of my abilities. He stated I was one of the top network administrators in the company, which was one of the top environmental engineering companies in the country. He put all that in writing, and called me to tell me about it. I was totally blown away by all of it. I had no idea I was thought of that highly by anyone, much less an IT Director I'd only met a few times, but was apparently quite aware of how I was doing. I was far more used to being underestimated by my managers. Since I worked in the office that managed the Washington, Oregon, and Idaho offices, we had a branch manager, office manager, and administrative office manager. Both the branch and office managers were engineers ... which probably explains why they underestimated me :laugh:

I worked a lot with two other network administrators while with that company. One was a corporate network guy (which explains how the Corporate IT Director knew so much about me) and the other was another branch's network administrator, both in California. They were great guys, brilliant, supportive, and we communicated often through email and over the phone. Amazingly, when we'd be on a conference call troubleshooting a problem, it was often my suggestion that led to the solution. But that was intuition, not any great techie skill. Although, intuition is a valuable techie skill.

That network administrator experience led to being hired by my current employer as a network administrator/tech, which turned out to be 99% computer tech and 1%, if that, network administration. Um ... right. The computer tech stuff was never mentioned in the interview, nor was I questioned about any of my experience troubleshooting and repairing computers. I might have still accepted the position since I was new to the area, needed the job, and it was the first non secretarial/word processing job I'd been able to interview on, but I doubt it would have been offered to me if they knew how little experience I had with computer repair. All they questioned me about was network administration.

A few years later, and with a new manager, I was given the responsibility of researching, implementing, and managing a Help Desk system. I love to include that managing piece in there. Even though I was the entire Help Desk. It got me off the floor and out of the guts of computers, so I loved that. After another few years, it was decided we needed to develop our own Help Desk system, so I became part time Help Desk and part time Domino Lotus Notes programmer. When we moved from programming in Domino Lotus Notes to Visual Studio, I moved into development full time.

So ... there we have it. A very odd trek into the world of IT. One which still has me scratching my head as to how I got there.

Damn it, Jim, I'm an Artist! Not a techie!

Hornet3d

Wise
One of my coworkers always tells me I'm such a techie. I immediately correct her, as I absolutely do NOT consider myself to be a techie, nor do I like technology very much, other than how it can save me time or make something easier to do. But I have no desire to spend hours learning new technology or keeping current on existing technology ... it's freaking boring. Unless it's art related, and even then, I find most tutorials, especially video, frustratingly annoying.

Oh ... I did first level support for years, even though I was a Word Processor. But that involved other employees coming to me with a problem, me verifying there was a problem that wasn't fixed by rebooting, calling the real tech support people, explaining the problem, and scheduling their visit. That eventually expanded to being responsible for budgeting and purchasing software, as well as installing and maintaining the legality of company software. Which then led to being trained and becoming the network administrator for our office when the company installed Banyan Vines in all offices. That led to planning, budgeting, and installing the network when we moved to a new building, as well as for the Boise office when it was opened.

My favorite story is when our branch manager was planning the move to the new building, he demanded Corporate do the network install. Not only did the Corporate IT Director inform my branch manager I was more then capable of the network install, he gave a glowing review of my abilities. He stated I was one of the top network administrators in the company, which was one of the top environmental engineering companies in the country. He put all that in writing, and called me to tell me about it. I was totally blown away by all of it. I had no idea I was thought of that highly by anyone, much less an IT Director I'd only met a few times, but was apparently quite aware of how I was doing. I was far more used to being underestimated by my managers. Since I worked in the office that managed the Washington, Oregon, and Idaho offices, we had a branch manager, office manager, and administrative office manager. Both the branch and office managers were engineers ... which probably explains why they underestimated me :laugh:

I worked a lot with two other network administrators while with that company. One was a corporate network guy (which explains how the Corporate IT Director knew so much about me) and the other was another branch's network administrator, both in California. They were great guys, brilliant, supportive, and we communicated often through email and over the phone. Amazingly, when we'd be on a conference call troubleshooting a problem, it was often my suggestion that led to the solution. But that was intuition, not any great techie skill. Although, intuition is a valuable techie skill.

That network administrator experience led to being hired by my current employer as a network administrator/tech, which turned out to be 99% computer tech and 1%, if that, network administration. Um ... right. The computer tech stuff was never mentioned in the interview, nor was I questioned about any of my experience troubleshooting and repairing computers. I might have still accepted the position since I was new to the area, needed the job, and it was the first non secretarial/word processing job I'd been able to interview on, but I doubt it would have been offered to me if they knew how little experience I had with computer repair. All they questioned me about was network administration.

A few years later, and with a new manager, I was given the responsibility of researching, implementing, and managing a Help Desk system. I love to include that managing piece in there. Even though I was the entire Help Desk. It got me off the floor and out of the guts of computers, so I loved that. After another few years, it was decided we needed to develop our own Help Desk system, so I became part time Help Desk and part time Domino Lotus Notes programmer. When we moved from programming in Domino Lotus Notes to Visual Studio, I moved into development full time.

So ... there we have it. A very odd trek into the world of IT. One which still has me scratching my head as to how I got there.

Damn it, Jim, I'm an Artist! Not a techie!

Strange how life unwinds but it was good that your work and skill were recognised something quite rare, then and now.

AlphinaNovaStar

Energetic
Can I eat a "raw" pop tart that is not a brand name pop tart? Or do I have to heat it up somehow first? I am not anywhere near a toaster and I am hungry.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Oh 1/2 hour isn't bad at all. Of course, I don't know how far away from the school you actually live. I know I would've loved a 30-minute drive to work back in the day. ;)

I'm OK. Keeping busy, and not looking forward to the heat of the summer. So far, not too bad. Next month? YUCK!

It can take anything up to and over an hour in peak hour. Half an hour was a really quick trip...which was good as I was nervous the whole way home. Still waiting on my car as they couldn't get the part until today. I'm hoping that they get it early enough that I can pick it up today.

Miss B

CV-BEE
FingersCrossed.png
Here's hoping all goes well.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks Miss B...

I've never heard of anything being delayed because of heat. Only rain. That may change as they are expecting a hotter than usual summer so we'll see.
105-110 is common here in summer. 112+ usually only happens a few times a year. They do feel the same to me. To hot to be outside.
90s with the humidity you guys have would be unbearable to me too. 90s with our dry heat is time to stay indoors whenever possible for me.
In summer when we get extreme temperatures we will often keep the kids indoors just like when it is wet. Also with high fire danger days sometimes events will get postponed/cancelled until the weather is cooler. Doesn't happen often but it has been know to occur. Mind you we have had a few days every now and then that get up to 45 c...not this year though...this was the most moderate summer in a while. For some reason all the extreme weather went up north to NSW's and Queensland and also to South Australia...

Terre

Renowned
I'm glad you had a moderate summer. We're expecting a hot one. If so there will be several days where temps get up to about 45C. I hope not.
We get grass fires around here but your forest that is designed to burn is worse. I can easily see high fire danger days. My mother experienced one in northern New Mexico just several days ago. The campground she was staying in was evacuated and that section of forest closed to the public because of how dry the area was.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Hey everyone, hope everyone's fine? Seems really weird not seeing Mytho or Lorraine posting here and must admit I miss their posts.

I have decided to take some long service leave so my holidays start on Tuesday and I will have almost 3 weeks off work. I'm really looking forward to it and having chance to finally set up my new system fully. I haven't installed my RDNA stuff or starting categorising DS yet...:bounce: yep...:bounce:I'm definitely looking forward to it!:bounce: