• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tatanka/American Bison/Plains Bison

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Is a Musk Ox a relative of the bison ?
Only in so much as they are both cattle....
"
Buffalo and bison are not the same animal. Typically, the big fluffy animals that people call buffalo are actually bison, while true buffalo look more like large bulls. The two are related though. Bison and buffalo are bovines (a subfamily of bovids), but bison are in a different genus from buffalo. Other relatives include antelopes, cattle, goats and sheep.

There are two different species of bison: the American bison and the European bison. The American bison became the official national mammal of the United States when President Barack Obama signed the National Bison Legacy Act into law on May 9, 2016, according to the U.S. Department of the Interior.

Size
The American bison is the largest mammal in North America. It grows to 7 to 11.5 feet (2.1 meters to 3.5) long from head to rump, and its tail adds an extra 20 to 23.5 inches. They weigh 930 to 2,200 lbs. (422 to 998 kilograms).

Facts About Bison

Harimau

Eager
Is a Musk Ox a relative of the bison ?
Yes and no. Yes, they both belong to the Family Bovidae. No, the Bison belongs to the Sub-family Bovinae (cattle and their relatives) and the Musk Ox to the Sub-family Caprinae (Sheep and goats and their relatives)

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
This looks good so far chris.
love the wisent (european bison)....looks tough and is it bigger than american bison?
Also chris, shouldn't there also be thick hair on the hump and shoulders too? Looks too the beard is wider on chin and neck looking like the sides of head transition down too and not just from beneath the chin?

Yeah, it's still a WIP.

Harimau

Eager
Which one? Eurasian (Bos primigenius primigenius), Indian (Bos primigenius namadicus) or North African (Bos primigenius africanus)? The North African resembles the Eurasian in its morphology. The Eurasian auroch gave rise to the European or taurine cattle (Bos taurus taurus) while the Indian auroch gave rise to the zebu or indicine or humped cattle (Bos taurus indicus).

Reconstruction of Eurasian auroch, (Bos primigenius primigenius)

Aurochs_reconstruction.jpg

Reconstruction of Indian auroch (Bos primigenius namadicus)

Indian_Aurochs_B_p_namadicus_3_small.jpg

My own wish is for a zebu (Bos taurus indicus):

Bos_taurus_indicus_small.jpg

Or this Malaysian variety (Kedah Kelantan zebu) which is the bull that is most familiar to me:

Kedah Kelantan Zebu.jpg

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Which one? Eurasian (Bos primigenius primigenius), Indian (Bos primigenius namadicus) or North African (Bos primigenius africanus)? The North African resembles the Eurasian in its morphology. The Eurasian auroch gave rise to the European or taurine cattle (Bos taurus taurus) while the Indian auroch gave rise to the zebu or indicine or humped cattle (Bos taurus indicus).

Reconstruction of Eurasian auroch, (Bos primigenius primigenius)

View attachment 39901

Reconstruction of Indian auroch (Bos primigenius namadicus)

View attachment 39902

My own wish is for a zebu (Bos taurus indicus):

View attachment 39903

Or this Malaysian variety (Kedah Kelantan zebu) which is the bull that is most familiar to me:

View attachment 39904
Spanish bull all the way for me. Been waiting for a long time for its release.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
something about his hair on his head makes me giggle every time I see it! Love it! (I know once it has maps it won't look like this)

We'll find our way through it though, we always do.

I'd like to do a bit more on the head, and get the added hair geometry on the front legs, then hand it over to Laurie to add some textures for a first test.