Tatanka/American Bison/Plains Bison

Discussion in 'Show Me The Honey' started by Chris, Jul 9, 2018.

1. carmen indorato

carmen indorato Extraordinary

Yeah! That is a busy uv map. I can't figure out how one would put a texture to a UV map that complex. SO how do you do it?
    Also Chris, any plans of putting hair on its hump as a follow back from the head hair?

2. Sunfire

Sunfire One Busy Little Bee QAV-BEE Contributing Artist

Focus on the material zones, and do each layer as a separate image when you're putting the textures together.

Chris and Dakorillon (IMArts) like this.
  3. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

Yeah, I just had all the layers visible together. The red colored portion is what I'm establishing for the added hair.

Going to work on the front leg hair next, the figure out how to handle the hair for shoulders and upper back. I think I'll add in wider strips that are shorter for that area.

4. carmen indorato

sounds cool chris.
    Would be esaier to do tha log straight hair because tht hair on the animal is I think thicker and nappier/curlier isn't it?

And on that note i still do not understand why the same sort of layered transmapped section can't be done for the loner hair breeds for the dog lets say?
    I saw "white fang" animation on Netflix (and recommend its viewing highly, very good film), but the longer hair on the wolf dog was nicely set up. i know the artwork was flat painted like posterized or cell and intentionally created in a lower-resolution to get that effect (from what i read about the film), art but the portions of the animal that were covered with longer hair were an interesting technique wise but for the dogs here setting up transmapped layers to transition from regular to shaggy look could be an option....couldn't?

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  5. Chris

Very interesting. We'll have to see. Placing the hair sheets is a time consuming process.

6. Chris

More Bison work today. Showing leg hair. Onto neck, shoulders and back next.

BisonWork30.JPG BisonWork31.JPG BisonWork32.JPG

7. carmen indorato

looking good.

8. Chris

Starting to lay out the back edge of the hair for the back and shoulders.

BisonWork33.JPG

BisonWork34.JPG

9. Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dakorillon (IMArts) Extraordinary Contributing Artist

He just gets better and better! I'm out here on the reservation, and I approve! lol

Chris likes this.
  10. carmen indorato

interesting seeing this in progress Chris. I imagine all the hair will pump up size of file. Curious to see if it will out-weigh the beautiful lion when done.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Chris like this.
  11. Chris

Got some early feedback from Laurie Prindle today on the back hair sheets. She suggested that I lengthen them. So I have done just that. Moving on to add in more next.

BisonWork35.JPG

12. Satira Capriccio

Satira Capriccio Distinguished CV-BEE Contributing Artist

I agree, the back hair sheets look better longer.

Every time you post a WIP, Tatanka looks even better! Much as I love all the other animals, this one is going to be absolutely the best.

Dakorillon (IMArts), LisaB and Chris like this.
  13. Chris

Wow, very cool Satira. Thanks. Sure a lot of work placing the sheets around. But, having seen what Laurie did with the lion mane, I'm confident she can make this animal look amazing.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and LisaB like this.
  14. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Looks good Chris! LOL like I told Chris, I can always make the trans map shorter but I can't make it longer if the mesh is too short:)

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Chris like this.
  15. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

This is really turning out great. Can't wait to see Laurie's texturing for this.

CWRW likes this.
  16. CWRW

LOL me too:) Gonna be a challenge!

LisaB likes this.
  17. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Oh, I'm sure. :)

18. Chris

Ha, what do you mean?

This is going to be a cake walk for you.

Right?

Dakorillon (IMArts), CWRW and Miss B like this.
  19. CWRW

LOL Chris. I love your faith in me:) Yes it will be a challenge, but I am up for it. Def am going to have to visit and shoot some shots of our local herd.
    https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...n-conservation-herd-new-calves-ivf/458718002/

And I do actually own a buffalo hide - we got it from a company many years ago that raised bison organically for food and they use and sell all usable parts of the buffalo/no waste.

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  20. Chris

Nice video there. Impressive animals. I used to live in Bluffdale Utah and a neighbor of ours raised Bison, and beefalo, and even the great White Buffalo. All were very cool animals. But my neighbor passed away a few years back, and his wife was left to get rid of all his amazing animals that she couldn't care for.

It's great that you have a buffalo hide. Super valuable for such a project as this one too.

I've never even asked you if you'd map this animal. I know to some degree of the projects that are on your plate. But, I was sure hoping you'd have an interest. I figured I'd go ahead and get to modeling it and see how things develope. It's great to see your interest in this project. I just have to keep it going, and wrap it up.

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Rae134 like this.