• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Tatanka/American Bison/Plains Bison

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Yeah! That is a busy uv map. I can't figure out how one would put a texture to a UV map that complex. SO how do you do it?
Also Chris, any plans of putting hair on its hump as a follow back from the head hair?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yeah, I just had all the layers visible together. The red colored portion is what I'm establishing for the added hair.

Going to work on the front leg hair next, the figure out how to handle the hair for shoulders and upper back. I think I'll add in wider strips that are shorter for that area.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
sounds cool chris.
Would be esaier to do tha log straight hair because tht hair on the animal is I think thicker and nappier/curlier isn't it?

And on that note i still do not understand why the same sort of layered transmapped section can't be done for the loner hair breeds for the dog lets say?
I saw "white fang" animation on Netflix (and recommend its viewing highly, very good film), but the longer hair on the wolf dog was nicely set up. i know the artwork was flat painted like posterized or cell and intentionally created in a lower-resolution to get that effect (from what i read about the film), art but the portions of the animal that were covered with longer hair were an interesting technique wise but for the dogs here setting up transmapped layers to transition from regular to shaggy look could be an option....couldn't?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
sounds cool chris.
Would be esaier to do tha log straight hair because tht hair on the animal is I think thicker and nappier/curlier isn't it?

And on that note i still do not understand why the same sort of layered transmapped section can't be done for the loner hair breeds for the dog lets say?
I saw "white fang" animation on Netflix (and recommend its viewing highly, very good film), but the longer hair on the wolf dog was nicely set up. i know the artwork was flat painted like posterized or cell and intentionally created in a lower-resolution to get that effect (from what i read about the film), art but the portions of the animal that were covered with longer hair were an interesting technique wise but for the dogs here setting up transmapped layers to transition from regular to shaggy look could be an option....couldn't?

Very interesting. We'll have to see. Placing the hair sheets is a time consuming process.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
More Bison work today. Showing leg hair. Onto neck, shoulders and back next.

BisonWork30.JPG
BisonWork31.JPG
BisonWork32.JPG

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Wow, very cool Satira. Thanks. Sure a lot of work placing the sheets around. But, having seen what Laurie did with the lion mane, I'm confident she can make this animal look amazing.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
This is really turning out great. Can't wait to see Laurie's texturing for this.

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Ha, what do you mean?

This is going to be a cake walk for you.

Right?

LOL Chris. I love your faith in me:) Yes it will be a challenge, but I am up for it. Def am going to have to visit and shoot some shots of our local herd.
https://www.coloradoan.com/story/ne...n-conservation-herd-new-calves-ivf/458718002/

And I do actually own a buffalo hide - we got it from a company many years ago that raised bison organically for food and they use and sell all usable parts of the buffalo/no waste.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
LOL Chris. I love your faith in me:) Yes it will be a challenge, but I am up for it. Def am going to have to visit and shoot some shots of our local herd.
Northern Colorado genetically pure bison herd has quadrupled in size

And I do actually own a buffalo hide - we got it from a company many years ago that raised bison organically for food and they use and sell all usable parts of the buffalo/no waste.

Nice video there. Impressive animals. I used to live in Bluffdale Utah and a neighbor of ours raised Bison, and beefalo, and even the great White Buffalo. All were very cool animals. But my neighbor passed away a few years back, and his wife was left to get rid of all his amazing animals that she couldn't care for.

It's great that you have a buffalo hide. Super valuable for such a project as this one too.

I've never even asked you if you'd map this animal. I know to some degree of the projects that are on your plate. But, I was sure hoping you'd have an interest. I figured I'd go ahead and get to modeling it and see how things develope. It's great to see your interest in this project. I just have to keep it going, and wrap it up.