• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Sparky's items for HiveWire Dog

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
Great to see these :) Already grabbed the wolf and husky, hopefully will get more soon :) I hope this helps with your cash-flow problem .

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Thanks, guys ^.^

Re: Jack Russell Terrier, good note about the neck length, it does look too long. He still needs work on his face, too. There's a lot of variation in Jack Rusell Terriers. There are tall lithe ones, and stocky short ones, some of them have Queen Anne legs, some don't, and there's the various coats they come in, as Rae explained. There also seems to be a lot of variation in face shape. I tried to go for something average, so that one could customize it more easily using the regular shaping morphs and scaling and whatnot to look like the particular type they want.

That's also why I went with an average-build wolf. It is a lot easier to add some weight using the morphs included with the dog figure than it would be to try and get a thinner wolf out of a morph that started off too bulky. Since wild wolves rarely look like fat zoo or sanctuary wolves, I thought it was important to have thinner wolves as an option. I once had a wolf hybrid dog, he never put on weight, no matter how much we fed him (or how many whole hams and roasts he stole from the kitchen LOL). He always looked like one of those "lean winter" wolves.

There are several morphs in the base dog figure for bulking up its shape. Body Bulk, Legs Thin (applied in negative values, and which also affects the volume of the chest and haunches), Neck Thin (applied in negative values) for the neck, and for the belly area, there are the Belly Full and Belly Size morphs.

Here's a fat wolf using some of these morphs:
FatWolf.jpg

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Oh, also, yes, the newborn puppies can be combined with other breeds. The texture overlays will work with any base texture. Most breeds don't really need to use the breed morph, just the newborn puppy morph, as most tiny puppies have the same sort of shape. When you do need to add the breed morph in, you just have to play with the values until you hit upon the right combination. Here is a baby chug puppy: 60% newborn puppy morph 56% chug. With the texture overlays and eye material that come with the newborn puppies.

babyChug.jpg

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Third pass on the Jack Russell. Shorter neck really makes it look better. Also a little tweaking to the face. I threw some bulk morphs at it to see that they combine well with the breed to make him properly stocky. I think it works. I thought the dog came with a legs length morph, but it looks like I was misremembering that. So, I might have to make one to go with this guy, given the wildly different leg lengths this breed can have. :-S And lastly, the prominent "heel bone" you remarked on, Carmen, is actually a "paw pressure" morph that is automatically applied with some poses including the one I'm using here. I turned it off in this render so you can see the difference.

JackRussellWIP03.jpg

And his face.
JackRussellWIP03b.jpg

I'm spending more time on this guy than I have on almost any of the others. I think it might be because of my childhood obsession with Wishbone the dog. Anybody else remember him? LOL

Last edited:

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Thanks, Chris!

That's looking good, Rae! Since you're using strand fur, it might work better if you dialed back the fur bulk morph and let the LAMH fur fill out the cheek, neck, and tail areas a bit more. ^.^

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
That face! <3

Because the Jacks are a working breed they were more lenient in body shapes but since 2003 the American Kennel Club recognises the short legged ones as Russell (or Jack Russell) Terriers and the longer legged ones as Parson Russell Terriers and are now 2 separated breeds (not sure the status in the rest of the world but in England the Jack Russell and the Parson Russell have always been two distinct breeds). Trivia - Rev. John Russell was the founder of the breed hence the addition of Parson to the other breeds name.

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
Third pass on the Jack Russell. Shorter neck really makes it look better. Also a little tweaking to the face. I threw some bulk morphs at it to see that they combine well with the breed to make him properly stocky. I think it works. I thought the dog came with a legs length morph, but it looks like I was misremembering that. So, I might have to make one to go with this guy, given the wildly different leg lengths this breed can have. :-S And lastly, the prominent "heel bone" you remarked on, Carmen, is actually a "paw pressure" morph that is automatically applied with some poses including the one I'm using here. I turned it off in this render so you can see the difference.

View attachment 60075

And his face.
View attachment 60077

I'm spending more time on this guy than I have on almost any of the others. I think it might be because of my childhood obsession with Wishbone the dog. Anybody else remember him? LOL
cute er. i kind of prefer the heel w/o the pressure morph. to me and what little i kow of dog, what i have seen, i have nver noticed that bone or heel or whatever t is. thanks for removal.......before my computer gave up the ghost i tried using the dog for a few renders but didn't notice that heel. is the turn off morph included with the original dog or included in your breeds?

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have the full version and if I use it like the free version its fine but as soon as I try to create nope, lock up.

I don't have any problems with dForce (except if I don't pose properly and get explosions lol which in most cases are easily fixed). Can't remember how old my comp is but I reckon it has to be well over 10 (with the odd part upgraded when I've cooked it lol)

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
That face! <3

Because the Jacks are a working breed they were more lenient in body shapes but since 2003 the American Kennel Club recognises the short legged ones as Russell (or Jack Russell) Terriers and the longer legged ones as Parson Russell Terriers and are now 2 separated breeds (not sure the status in the rest of the world but in England the Jack Russell and the Parson Russell have always been two distinct breeds). Trivia - Rev. John Russell was the founder of the breed hence the addition of Parson to the other breeds name.

Hrmm...I might have been reading older literature concerning the Jack Russell Terrier. According to what I read, the only difference recognized by the AKC were that Parson Russells had a square body profile (the body from the withers to the base of the tail to the ground is as long as it is tall), and Jack Russells were rectangular (the body from the withers to the base of the tail is longer than the withers to the ground). But the Jack Russells still had weird ranges of height, weight, etc. I guess it's all the same.

really cute dear. thanks.
I know it is not allowed but are there nipples on the dog and why do the pup's faces look different or yellower than mom?

I haven't included nipples on the dogs for the simple reason that when I've tried, they always get really weirdly deformed when the dog is posed. The weightmapping on the underside of the dog is very soft for smooth deformations across the torso, and the model is relatively low poly, especially in that area. As a result, it's really difficult to control how texels in that region will stretch with the bends. Texture-only nipples would also not work very well for nursing mother dogs because it would have little to no depth to it, and there isn't enough geometry in the area to make a morph. At least, not without HD morphs, which non-DAZ store creators can't do in DS. I think the only way to achieve realistic nipples/teats on the HWDog would be to create some conforming/geografted geometry.

The pups are lighter in colour because I just plugged the wolf diffuse texture into another material that has a white diffuse color. The wolf material has a grey diffuse color on it to accentuate the depth in the normal map, so it looks a little brighter on the pups in that quick render. If I did it again, I would probably not use the the puppy overlays, just the puppy eye material, and make the pups a little darker than the default wolf, because wolf pups actually have darker colouration than adult wolves, LOL.

cute er. i kind of prefer the heel w/o the pressure morph. to me and what little i kow of dog, what i have seen, i have nver noticed that bone or heel or whatever t is. thanks for removal.......before my computer gave up the ghost i tried using the dog for a few renders but didn't notice that heel. is the turn off morph included with the original dog or included in your breeds?

The paw pressure morphs are in the base HWDog, several of the default poses use it. If you notice your pose has applied them, just set them all to 0. They're under Actor>2_Body>5_Paws

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
huh not had that, though its as slow as a wet week lol. Computer is probably a good 6/7 years old too so surprised I dont have problems

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hrmm...I might have been reading older literature concerning the Jack Russell Terrier. According to what I read, the only difference recognized by the AKC were that Parson Russells had a square body profile (the body from the withers to the base of the tail to the ground is as long as it is tall), and Jack Russells were rectangular (the body from the withers to the base of the tail is longer than the withers to the ground). But the Jack Russells still had weird ranges of height, weight, etc. I guess it's all the same.
Its the longer legs that make the Parsons profile square :)

carmen indorato

Extraordinary

I haven't included nipples on the dogs for the simple reason that when I've tried, they always get really weirdly deformed when the dog is posed. The weightmapping on the underside of the dog is very soft for smooth deformations across the torso, and the model is relatively low poly, especially in that area. As a result, it's really difficult to control how texels in that region will stretch with the bends. Texture-only nipples would also not work very well for nursing mother dogs because it would have little to no depth to it, and there isn't enough geometry in the area to make a morph. At least, not without HD morphs, which non-DAZ store creators can't do in DS. I think the only way to achieve realistic nipples/teats on the HWDog would be to create some conforming/geografted geometry.

The pups are lighter in colour because I just plugged the wolf diffuse texture into another material that has a white diffuse color. The wolf material has a grey diffuse color on it to accentuate the depth in the normal map, so it looks a little brighter on the pups in that quick render. If I did it again, I would probably not use the the puppy overlays, just the puppy eye material, and make the pups a little darker than the default wolf, because wolf pups actually have darker colouration than adult wolves, LOL.

The paw pressure morphs are in the base HWDog, several of the default poses use it. If you notice your pose has applied them, just set them all to 0. They're under Actor>2_Body>5_Paws
Sparky thanks for the replies. Appreciate your patience and your clarity in "learning" me! :)
And I remember I have mesh nipples I can use. Puppies might appreciate them more than a texture set or distorted mesh. Thanks! LOL