• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
While I'm now referring to it as "Songbird ReMix Woodpeckers v1: Woodpeckers of North America", and that will be reflected in the art, readmes and store page, the actual internal product name won't change so there shouldn't be an issue.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I just finished up work on the last of my updates (Songbird ReMix Africa, C&U birds v1, European Edition v2 and Woodpeckers) and uploaded the beta to my testers, so there will be at least 4 updates coming next month. Today's image was inspired by the one of the centerpieces from my updated (from 2004) Songbird Remix Africa, the flashy Lilac-breasted Roller. It will be the new cover art for the updated set. I'm sometimes asked if I have a favorite birds in a set, and yup... This is one of them.

Attachments

• lilac-brested roller.jpg
    lilac-brested roller.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 142

CWRW

Extraordinary
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I was so totally wowed by the rollers when I was in Africa- they are are so stunning and the way they fly is just gorgeous too.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
One thing I love about creating new bird sets is all the information I pick up along the way. Not just bird ID but behavioral traits like with woodpeckers... Once the eggs are laid by the female, its the male that does most of the work. He shares incubation duties during the day and does the nighttime shift all by himself.

In working on my second woodpecker set (all European woodpeckers), I decided to spell out the differences in the 3 species of Spotted Woodpecker; the Lesser, the Middle and the Greater. Usually the differences in Greater and Lessers is simply size but actually there's quite a bit else in the spotted woodpecker family.

Spotted Males.jpg

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
It appears that affiliate codes that I added to the urls no longer work-- they were working when I put them in originally
ugh! I guess I'll remove them all...

most of them should be fixed now

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
I haven't shown anything here in a while, partially because I've been burning the midnight oil to get all the stuff ready for Audubon's Birthday.
I managed surpass my goals; there will be five updates (Africa, Cool & Unusual 1, European Edition2, Woodpeckers and Pose Pack 2) and two new sets, Paridae of the World (featuring 15 species of Tits, 26 in all) and Woodpecker v2 (Woodpeckers of Eurasia, 13 species, 33 in all).

Here's a couple renders of the new sets... The male Sultan Tit and the male and female Eurasian Three-toed woodpecker

Attachments

• 3toeds woodpeckers.jpg
    3toeds woodpeckers.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Paridae.jpg
    Paridae.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 123

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Oh, really liking the coloring of the Three-Toed Woodpeckers. :)
Yes, it's unusual to have a yellow crest on a woodpecker (instead of the traditional red). I tried to research why this woodpecker only has only three toes but there was no good explanation. More interesting is that the 3 toes aren't arranged as in the fashion of a songbird (with the rear toe directly centered)-- they are arranged just the same as the rest of its 4-toed Zygodactyl cousins. It's as if the inside rear toe was simply lobbed off.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
There's a Hivewire Artists Welcome Sale going on. Please support my fellow HW PAs that have moved to Renderosity. Why am I not participating in the sale? Well, it's a little too close Audubon's birthday for me to participate.

I'm steadily working my way through the Australia v2 update... here's a promo page showing the redone Australasian Robins. As with the comparison with the 2010 versions, the changes while subtle are significant, making the birds look more like their real-life counterparts and less like 3D models.

Attachments

• Australasian Pipit.jpg
    Australasian Pipit.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 122
  • sbrm_Australia2_Promo1.jpg
    sbrm_Australia2_Promo1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 117

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
There's a Hivewire Artists Welcome Sale going on. Please support my fellow HW PAs that have moved to Renderosity. Why am I not participating in the sale? Well, it's a little too close Audubon's birthday for me to participate.
Ohhh, does that mean all of our CA's stores are fully set up at Renderosity? That would be great, as then they can start setting up our HW3D purchases in our accounts there. :D

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
All of products (2 new, 5 updates) are now set to go for Audubon's Birthday next week, so I've fully into updating Australia v2 and Art Treasures from the Bower Collection. I'm guessing those will be ready early-to-mid May.

Here's the new main art for Australia v2 (Rendered in Poser). It featured the satin bowerbirds. What makes this bird "cool" is the male activities during breeding season. Male satin bowerbirds are artists. They first build an art gallery; two stout columns of grass, creating an entry way through the middle. They then start collecting things they find appealing and arrange them in their gallery. These items can include berries, flowers, leaves, feathers, and even ballpoint pens, drinking straws and other discarded plastic items. Satin bowerbirds have a preference for blue items.

Once their art collages are done and placed, it's time for opening night. The male stands at the gallery opening and calls for the ladies. They come and browse his gallery. As part of the opening, the male performs a dance for the female crowd. If a female likes the show, she'll mate with the artist/gallery owner for the season. Researchers have determined that younger female bowerbirds are drawn to the best art in making their decision while older females almost always choose the best dancer.

Bowerbirds.jpg

Last edited:

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Happy Earth Day! Do something good for the planet today... it could be something as simply as trying to recycle more, trying lower your carbon footprint or planting a plant favored by birds-- saying that, I hear "our" California Thrasher singing happily outside my office door in our Ribes (currant) thicket. The male has been proudly showing his mate the forming berries "yup, this is my territory and all those berries will be yours and mine"

I taken some time to rework how products are seen on my website store. Both the Songbird ReMix and Nature's Wonders sections have been reorganized to actually make some sense. Rather than chronological release order, they are now grouped by type.