• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Songbird Remix's Product Preview Thread

sandman_max

That's wonderful, Ken! It will help a lot with the differences between packs. I was looking at one them over on Rendo and kept thinking "But I could have sworn I have a bluebird... and barn swallows". Then I discovered there are a LOT of different varieties e.g. Eastern Bluebird vs Western Bluebird, which just proves I need the Characters Vol 3 since all my favorite East Coast bird are in there. And where would I find the northern chickadees I loved as child in New England?

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yes, there's more than one type of bluebird. In the US, you have the Western, the Eastern and the Mountain Bluebirds.

I tend to lean towards picking west coast varieties for my sets since those are my birds (the Western Bluebirds are in Characters v1). For years, I have had people asking for the Eastern Bluebird so when I created the other "Characters" sets (which are the only things in my Renderosity store right now), I tried to balance the scales a little. The "Characters" sets within my SBRM family of products specifically feature popular US birds.

The Mountain Bluebird is in "Birds of Legend" set (being that "Bluebird of Happiness"). Hopefully I'll get to that update soon. Technically, there are even more US bluebirds if you want to split hairs and get into subspecies (which often gives you the exact bird you're seeing out your window); and again the ones that appear in Songbird ReMix sets tend to favor the Northeastern edge of Los Angeles where I live.

As for your chickadees, the chickadees of New England are the Black-capped Chickadee (which is found in the base "Songbird ReMix" set) along with the Mountain Chickadee which I get. The only other East coast chickadee is the Carolina chickadee which is found in the southern East coast. It looks really, really close to the black-capped. Apart from location, look for slightly browner wings, less white fringes on the secondary wing feathers and a slightly smaller tail on the Carolina chickadee.

BTW, did you know that the Black-capped chickadee is the most "advertised" bird in the US? That chickadee appears in more imagery than any other US bird... the Northern Cardinal is the runner-up.

Last edited:

Klaus Sauer

Admirable
Yes, there's more than one type of bluebird. In the US, you have the Western, the Eastern and the Mountain Bluebirds.

I tend to lean towards picking west coast varieties for my sets since those are my birds (the Western Bluebirds are in Characters v1). For years, I have had people asking for the Eastern Bluebird so when I created the other "Characters" sets (which are the only things in my Renderosity store right now), I tried to balance the scales a little. The "Characters" sets within my SBRM family of products specifically feature popular US birds.

The Mountain Bluebird is in "Birds of Legend" set (being that "Bluebird of Happiness"). Hopefully I'll get to that update soon. Technically, there are even more US bluebirds if you want to split hairs and get into subspecies (which often gives you the exact bird you're seeing out your window); and again the ones that appear in Songbird ReMix sets tend to favor the Northeastern edge of Los Angeles where I live.

As for your chickadees, the chickadees of New England are the Black-capped Chickadee (which is found in the base "Songbird ReMix" set) along with the Mountain Chickadee which I get. The only other East coast chickadee is the Carolina chickadee which is found in the southern East coast. It looks really, really close to the black-capped. Apart from location, look for slightly browner wings, less white fringes on the secondary wing feathers and a slightly smaller tail on the Carolina chickadee.

BTW, did you know that the Black-capped chickadee is the most "advertised" bird in the US? That chickadee appears in more imagery than any other US bird... the Northern Cardinal is the runner-up.

Following your comments, the lines between 3D modeler and ornithologist are blurring. On one side you explain where the birds from your sets have their habitats in real life, then you briefly explain something about the updates of the models. I think there is probably no other 3D artist who brings so much professional knowledge and passion to his projects. I find this really fascinating. You have my full respect.

I also need to get rid of something: Actually, I have nothing to do with birds in my real life. I eat one from time to time (mostly in the form of chicken breast or turkey chips). To be honest, I came across the SBRM series from a site where you could illegally download content for Poser.
I had been looking for a few details for my rendering pictures and the birds were perfect.

At some point I watched the show at the HiveWire Store and then started to buy the Songbirds. The details captured me. In the meantime I don’t have any black copies anymore, the Songbirds and Nature Wonders I bought completely (including the new Rendo Relays). And I’m looking forward to hopefully many more interesting birds and further wonders of the nature in the future.

And speaking of chicken: If I’ve seen this correctly so far, there are actually no ordinary chickens and cocks in the show, isn’t there? And of course the little chicks. Maybe an idea for next easter ....

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
... At some point I watched the show at the HiveWire Store and then started to buy the Songbirds. The details captured me. In the meantime I don’t have any black copies anymore, the Songbirds and Nature Wonders I bought completely (including the new Rendo Relays). And I’m looking forward to hopefully many more interesting birds and further wonders of the nature in the future.

And speaking of chicken: If I’ve seen this correctly so far, there are actually no ordinary chickens and cocks in the show, isn’t there? And of course the little chicks. Maybe an idea for next easter ....
Especially during my DAZ years, I was one of the most pirated vendors there. I believe it was partially because of my numbering of the sets. Knowing some who dwell into less legal areas, I know most of them are a little compulsive in their "collecting" so having a gap in the numbering of sets drove them crazy. I also know that most pirates are simply "collectors" who rarely use what they get. My attitude was that anybody who got my products through less legal means, if they learned something about birds, or learned to care a little more about them, or even created an image that made other people care about them, I was okay with that.

Thank-you for getting my products the right way.

Chickens my eventually get on my radar, but right now my focus is updating the remaining sets and creating a few more companion sets (to the updates) along the way.

I do eat bird (chicken and turkey, but can't bring myself to have quail or squab.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
In December, after finishing up Corvus corvus, I discovered a few small issues that affect all the "Perching Bird" updates that were released in December. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the updates (or Corvus) in during the sale, so the small update is now waiting until the move of my store at Renderosity gets sorted out. I've decided to go ahead and give the update to those who want it now...

Songbird ReMix Perching Bird Fixes

The patch fixes the Bk-Ht morph, an error in the Poser "! default" pose, and I've added the "Bird Finder" spreadheet (see posts above) to the Bird Library section of Poser and DAZ Studio

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Downloaded the fix, even though I'm a Studio user. It's the kind of thing it's good to have just in case. Thank you.

I would be happy to have some updated chickens. Noggins's have served reasonably well. But they are fairly old, and not weight mapped. We are a bit short on domestic fowl, but then, I suspect that farmyard scenes aren't a frequent need for most people doing renders.

Doc Acme

Motivated
Hey Ken,
Where might

SBRM Shorebirds Vol 1 - Wading Birds​

be available? Link on your page sends me back to here, but no store of course. Couldn't find it on Rendo.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey Ken,
Where might

SBRM Shorebirds Vol 1 - Wading Birds​

be available? Link on your page sends me back to here, but no store of course. Couldn't find it on Rendo.
I'd say it would eventually be at Rendo, not everything has copied over yet with lots of stuff in Pending so its just a waiting game of Patience :)
(The stuff Ken has so far he manually added to the Store)

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Yup... still waiting for Renderosity to move my files over... I expected this, but it's not making the wait any easier

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
A couple things; today is the last day of Characters v3's introductory sale at Renderosity... and yes, I'm still waiting on transfer of my HW catalog to get to Renderosity. In the meantime, I've spent my time helping convert my advertising and file format of my catalog to Renderosity format and to keep my sanity, working on the next batch of updates.

The updates will include Woodpeckers, European Edition v2, Cool & Unusual Birds v1, Africa and maybe Australia v2. I'm guessing, at the earliest, a mid-to-late February release on those (provided my HW catalog has finally transferred over).

In addition, I've planned out 3 three sets to compliment those releases; Paridae of the World (look it up
), Woodpeckers v2 (all Eurasian species) and Bee-eaters of the World. I'm guessing the releases of these will between late March or part of my Audubon's Birthday sale. For the sale, I probably do another Bee volume for my new bee-eaters, some more updates and other surprises, too.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Australia v1 and v2 should be coming relatively soon (by April)... since v3 has a ton of different models and many I haven't upgraded yet, there will be a wait for that, unfortunately.