• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
It worked, and pretty quickly too....yay :)

studio.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Last night I upended my workstation to see what in the world was going on with it....I noticed that every few days I was getting a suggestion from Microsoft to view their new features and set up devices, and I made up my mind I was going to find out where the heck it was coming from and disconnect it. Turns out when there are updates applied, Microsoft diddles with the settings in Windows 10 Notifications & Actions....so I shut down everything, and will try to remember to check it regularly to make sure it's all still shut down. Now it looks like I'm getting online faster, and staying up longer without freezing...so perhaps the freezing was all that stuff calling back to the mothership at the same time. One thing I've noticed that's new...during one of the recent Windows 10 updates, Skype was slipped in, and I haven't found a way to uninstall it, so I have to manually quit the thing in the task bar...that helps to free up memory as well.

Here's a screen capture of the Notifications in Windows 10. It's showing I have it in the off position now...when it's on, all the junk listed has check marks in the boxes, indicating it's all simultaneously active.

notifications.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda :) I'm using Win10 Pro. I found an article...actually several...awhile back describing the same issues with numerous Windows 10 drives...some were being rendered totally unbootable. Mine boots okay, but very slowly, and after it's been on for about 10 or 15 minutes, the desktop freezes and won't do anything, and I have to power down by shutting off the power bar, or unplugging it. Then I boot it and start over, get a few more minutes out of it, then rinse and repeat. The article described the same exact scenario happening to others. During the move I didn't have time to address it....and I'm finally slowing down back to a normal routine, so this is the first I've had time to even look at it. Both Dell workstations have been crippled from it, and only the oldest Win10 that has updates completely shut off is functional. So that's two Dells and the HP drive I had in my kitchen, all taken out by Windows updates. I still haven't "fixed" the problem yet....just shutting off all the notifications reduced the pull on the system resources and helped it to boot faster, but it still ends up freezing after around 15 minutes. I'd love to send Bill Gates a "new features" update for his computer....that blows it right off his desktop when activated...haha.

:coding:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Huh. We only have the home edition on all laptops and tablets. Maybe that's why we didn't get the issues. One laptop had an update fail, but easily corrected. PC wasn't pro either, but that's dead from other issues.

Terre

Renowned
Interesting. YOu'd think that pro would have fewer problems. I hope you can get your machines functioning better Sky.

skylab

Esteemed
Well hallelujah...I finally was able to catch Windows 10 updates after one of their tweaks, and my computer was actually working correctly. I put a stop to the updates so fast, it made their head spin....choked the stuff right out of it....haha. Now my workstation is staying up. Before, if I turned my back for any reason...just to do something at the sink or fridge, and then turned back around, it would freeze up and I'd have to power it off in order to reboot...and keeping on doing that is hard on the system. Now it's not freezing up, and I can actually run a long render without it freezing. I will never turn Windows updates on again....security is one thing, but Microsoft is far more careless and reckless than any hacker out there.

Anyway, I finally am getting to see a quick render of Moshi the kitten :) This is exciting...tomorrow my new office chair is being delivered, just in time for my being able to use my workstation again....yay!! I guess we call this render a "leap of faith" :)

MOSHI THE KITTEN.jpg

Terre

Renowned
Good evening.
The preacher who has lived across the street from thsi house for much longer than we have lived here is going to be living with his son in Florida. This is good as he will be with family for his last years. Last December he had a bad fall at the airport in Albuquerque when on his way to visit Fl for Christmas. He spent 5 months in the hospital both in Albuquerque and then in Fl. I'm thankful for having been able to see him today while they were cleaning out the house.

skylab

Esteemed

...and though this is not a carol, it shows that they've done other excellent virtual projects :)

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed

...and this song is especially appropriate for this entire 2020 year. I have a print on my wall
given to me many years ago of a small boat in a storm, with the GK Chesterton quote
"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty".

skylab

Esteemed
I learned this week that members of my family were in the hospital, recovering from Covid-19. They are recovering rapidly, and a decision is being made about their being released early, in order to remain quarantined more comfortably at home. Once again, I am deeply grateful for God's mercy, His watchful care, His healing power, and His committed Friendship! Even when I can't be there, He is there!

:angel: