• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
So far my workstation is still messed up from Microsoft updates. It corrected itself for almost a week, and I thought I was back in business....then about four days ago, maybe five days, it started doing the same thing....once it boots, it will function for a short time then it totally freezes and I have to reboot. I checked for viruses of course, thinking their might be a problem, but then I ran across the article stating that what was happening was symptomatic of the latest updates which were locking up workstations. Because of that, I've not been able to do anything but really quick rnnders....it wouldn't last through a cloth simulation without freezing. But from what I see you did a grand job on the set, and I just had to have that face morph :)

:drawing:

Terre

Renowned
Good evening. My sympathies, Sky. The more I hear of MS updates the more I'm convinced we will eventually end up on some form of Linux or whatever that support Win programs.

skylab

Esteemed
I can see why you would. I can't believe I've put up with it this long....I actually started out on Mac back in the early '90's, and the only reason I switched to Microsoft and IBM-clones was because of my work at the time. Now nothing is holding me to MS except so many programs that are MS-based. The whole situation has gotten wearisome for me....one week it's working right, two weeks later it isn't....not dependable at all. Too much emphasis on trying to create an operating system that looks like a tablet....but computer folks don't even like tablets, so what's with that? So I'm thinking more and more of returning to what I used to enjoy....sketching, acrylics, color pencil, and even woodcarving and sculpting....and I've set up a Windows 7 drive with all my old paint programs and for using with email and other communication, plus video editing.....and will just let Windows 10 sit... and hopefully one day the Microsoft team will grow up and learn how to not destroy a drive, or their customer base. With all the flawed "security updates", they are not realizing that they themselves present the biggest danger of data loss, and challenge and expense to the average user. I'm just tired of it all just being about Microsoft, and keeping up with their latest costly demands. I don't get this grief from a pencil and sketchbook, or a paint brush, or even a carving knife.

My apartment looks pretty much like a studio anyway, so no big surprise that I'd swing this turn at this time, and I have the advantage of a big upper level window the width of the room, with lots of light. Here are a few still life props in the early planning stages :)

fruit---basket.jpg

spanish-----jug.jpg

teardrop---jug.jpg

I had the floor installed special just before I moved in, so that I'd have an easy to clean space...and it would also allow for hobbies like painting and wood carving :) It was amazing that my tear drop jug survived the move....whew! The studio is small, but that was the whole point, easy for me to maintain and still have time for doing fun stuff. I "created" a closet for my art supplies with two drapes, so it doubles as storage space as well as a still life platform prop, or easel stand. So, with surroundings like this, there's plenty of creative opportunities. And, I brought my scanners during the move, so that I can scan art work into the computer to share with others :)

easel-----shelves.jpg

easel----double-drape.jpg

clouds17.jpg

RAINBOW1.jpg

A couple of views outside my window :)

:drawing:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Sorry to hear about your Windows fails again, sky. That's a nice little easel you've got.

Hubby has finally progressed to walking with a cane. Still moving slow as he's still not steady on his feet yet. Doesn't have to followup with ortho doc any further. Released to drive, although he hasn't yet. We did go see my mom the other day so he could get out of the house a bit. So I finally get some "me time".

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda :) Glad things are progressing along with the healing process, and that things are showing signs of returning to normal for you.

Yeah, the Windows 10 thing is a big disappointment...it gets better, then it locks up again. Frustrating. Right now I just boot the workstation to check how it's doing, send an email, or do surfing for a few minutes. Anything beyond that and it locks up so that the mouse doesn't respond, and I just power it off. If I were doing 3D, there would be no opportunity to save changes, and it would be pretty frustrating to deal with it. I'm really thankful that Windows 7 is working fine with older art programs....and I need my video editing and scanning capabilities. I'll just focus on other things for awhile, and maybe it will self-correct again. Wish I had halted the updates altogether once it corrected itself last time.

Another interesting addition to my studio will be a miniature work bench (only 13 inches deep x 23 inches wide) in order to mount my clamp on vise as a "third hand" when I'm doing carving work, and for use with a very small jigsaw and rotary carving tools. When not in use the bench can be folded up and stored. I'd only be doing soft wood projects so it should handle the tasks.

Example of rotary carving. If one doesn't mind the dust, folks are getting amazing,
intricate results with this method:

...and the good 'ole wood carving method, a lot similar to sculpting in clay:

Terre

Renowned
Ooooo You have some very interesting things you can do. :) Looking forward to seeing the results when there are some.

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a link to the Rendo Poser 12 forum where info can be found about installation, and first impressions:

Rendo Poser 12 forum

So far I've seen where manual installation from zips is still possible, that one does not have to use the download manager. Also, though it states that Poser 12 is for Windows 10, a few have posted that they are running it successfully on Windows 7.

Also, the question was asked would it automatically install over Poser 11, and the response was that you can choose a directory that you want it to be in, that it won't interfere with Poser 11.

:coding:

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
I am running P11 and P12 side by side at the same time. I wouldn't try rendering with both programs at the same time. That would probably melt down my machine into a pile of slag. This beats the Python change. I use the scripts I need in P11 and render the PZ3 in P12.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for the info parkdalegardener....it will help folks who may be undecided about getting Poser 12. I've always liked running several Poser versions for the type of reasons you've described...loss of scripts would especially be concerning for older Poser users. So any insight or advice about the latest Poser release we surely appreciate hearing. Thanks for your input :)

:coding: