• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Indeed it would, Linda :) Looking forward to being able to have some time for playing again soon. I've been doing serious downsizing this week, and have help coming tomorrow to take away stuff. The weather has been so beautiful, it would have been crazy not to work while it was so warm. Looks like we'll have one more week of mild temps, and then perhaps some colder weather toward the end of January. Then I'll slow down some. I'm planning to move around summer or fall if all works out smoothly. It's time for an easier and safe living situation for us, and we're considering a gated etirement community. I imagine that preparations for the move will take a lot of my time this year, but there will be times when I need a couple of days here and there to rest, so I'm hoping to do some 3D playing during those times. And, when the move is completed, I'll be able to enjoy my 3D work while in a new home. So, if I seem absent more than present, it's because real life stuff is requiring my attention.

:coding:

Terre

Renowned
Indeed it would, Linda :) Looking forward to being able to have some time for playing again soon. I've been doing serious downsizing this week, and have help coming tomorrow to take away stuff. The weather has been so beautiful, it would have been crazy not to work while it was so warm. Looks like we'll have one more week of mild temps, and then perhaps some colder weather toward the end of January. Then I'll slow down some. I'm planning to move around summer or fall if all works out smoothly. It's time for an easier and safe living situation for us, and we're considering a gated etirement community. I imagine that preparations for the move will take a lot of my time this year, but there will be times when I need a couple of days here and there to rest, so I'm hoping to do some 3D playing during those times. And, when the move is completed, I'll be able to enjoy my 3D work while in a new home. So, if I seem absent more than present, it's because real life stuff is requiring my attention.

That sounds like a good idea. I hop all goes smoothly for you guys.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Linda :) Taking a little break this morning to update the old Windows 7 workstations that I intend to keep. Today is the final day of Microsoft Win7 support. Fortunately the desktop models stack nicely for storing, and they've been workstation stability in the past whenever I had connection problems.

I stopped getting tower drives with Vista since towers require so much strength to move. All the old tower drives were carried away yesterday, after wiping the data...hallelujah. Had to put the drives one at a time on a rolling chair to move them out the door....where there's a will, there's a way...haha :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get a motorized cart after I get moved, so that I can freely (and safely) zoom around the retirement community campus, instead of being bound to the apartment. Just thinking about the new opportunities gives me an incentive to face the hard work of downsizing :)

:shineon:

Terre

Renowned
What we have at work is 2 Win 7 towers. What the next generation of server we get ends up being I'll find out at that time. With the current program my computer is just a full blown Win 7 Pro machine acting as a workstation that access the main server. Makes me wonder why they made it a true PC.

skylab

Esteemed
What I've been getting in recent years looks like this, small even in relation to the keyboard, but fully functional. The Dell Windows 10 drives were even better in that the case is not made of heavy metal....they have slightly smaller dimensions and are more light weight...perfect for my situation :) Another advantage is they stack beautifully, to maximize the "footprint" space.
hp-desktop.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
The prices have gone up a little now, probably because of Windows 7 support ending, but here's an example of the description of the drive. During the summer these drives were plentiful, as companies were unloading their Windows 7 workstations, and they were being refurbished and upgraded with Windows 10...the resale prices then were just under $200 when they were plentiful.

skylab

Esteemed
Yes. My Windows 7 drives that I intend to keep look exactly like this...and yes, all it needs is a monitor. My two Windows 10 drives are Dell, with the same small footprint, but lighter weight cases. I love them....no more big, heavy towers. The Dell drives actually came with nice graphics cards in them, so there was no need to upgrade them in order to meet OpenGL upgrade requirements for Blender and FlowScape :)

Linda B

Extraordinary
Oh my goodness, I need my ears checked. I thought my Dad said he needed his "uppers". He has upper and lower dentures so I didn't think anything of it until he said they were in the refrigerator. Haha! He said "peppers". We all got a chuckle out of it. He has a low scratchy voice in his elder age and I have trouble hearing him. I do have problems with certain voice ranges and he and my husband are both in it.

Terre

Renowned
Those are some good choices there.
The problem that smaller grocer companies have is the cost of the programs and whether they can actually run registers. The programs we need for our situation run in 7 fine. I figure they are working on Win 10 versions but don't know when those will be ready and with the store having upgraded just 2 years ago it's going to be a while before more money can be spent for a new computer system There is too much else that needs upgrading first.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I hope they don't get hacked when the holes are no longer plugged by MS. They'll find out that it's much more costly than upgrading the OS.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, I just use older, unsupported drives for primarily offline use...the Win7 drives make great gamers, video viewers and even video editors. I use those instead of DVD players. But I'd be careful about being connected online with work computers especially, as some are predicting problems with hacking.