• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Just to show how useful mistakes can be sometimes....I made an attempt to create a rose, years ago....that was very well received....as a magnolia blossom....haha. If it hadn't been for the Argile modeling program, it would have been a big mess....at least the front petal folded down...but I just couldn't get the others to bend like a rose. Anyway, that mistake has been downloaded over 1,200 times....haha. So it just goes to show, today's mistake might be just what somebody else is looking for tomorrow :)

FLOWER

flower-2011.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Another one of my modeling projects that was not much of a hit...an attempt at flower vases. Well, my intentions were good anyway....haha :)
I've been curious lately about how these would look with decent mats in superfly...so we'll see.

FLOWER VASES

flower-vases.jpg

The CORKED JAR was another one that was no big deal at the time, but came to life with superfly mats :)

corked--jar.jpg
corked----jar.jpg

Good morning! Thank you, for the download links. The tea sets are so pretty! I keep opening Poser but nothing seems to be inspiring a new render. Ah!

Loving the animations and all the cute toon critters. It's going to be another hot one here in Maryland. Stay cool!:cool:

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Dani....good morning :) I thought of you when I saw the tea set, especially the floral design.

I may piddle today with some of my old vases, to see if I can get a decent superfly render....and then see what I can do adding a flower. Wish I could find a very realistic, higher poly rose bud model.

And yes, the temps are climbing higher and higher as we approach the weekend....and we're definitely staying cool here.

:shineon:

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, there's my white rabbit...haha :) I call it "mine" because the biker bunny was one of the first animations that I ever tried. Your render colors and lighting are beautiful...and I love the way his ears flop to the side. And I think I have Gosha and the rabbit character for him too. Our runtimes must be very similar :)

:drawing:

DanaTA

Distinguished
I may piddle today with some of my old vases, to see if I can get a decent superfly render....and then see what I can do adding a flower. Wish I could find a very realistic, higher poly rose bud model.

:shineon:

Well, there's this: Poser Rose and Rose 2

Couldn't find much else that is still available. Several sites are gone. One that came up was a Japanese site, and I can't find my way around and couldn't see the rose. But things at Robinwood seemed to be fairly good quality. Haven't been there in a long time. Seems he's keeping it up. Poser Rose link is in the left column on this page, near the bottom.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Janet, that White Rabbit from Rendo in Dani's render might be a useful character for animation....you like things that hop :) And he just has a comical appearance, even more so with the ears off to the side, squished under a hat....haha...I just never realized until this morning that he could render out so beautifully. I wish Dani would share her secret sauce on that....really, it's gorgeous. If only that render quality could be achieved with an animation....oh yes, that would be fine, and truly storybook quality :)

skylab

Esteemed
And DanaTA, that Poser rose looked good on the site that you suggested. There were several models there that were nice freebies, and more importantly, they explained how they were created. I liked their realistic modeling style.

I struggled with being like that when trying to model....I wanted it to be identifiable even without maps. When I modeled these bottles of ordinary things used every day, I had that in mind....familiar stuff I used every day, getting ready for work....medication, vitamins, shampoo, tylenol, and alcohol (used for keeping hands cleaner in medical environment).

BOTTLE COLLECTION

bottles.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
All of my modeling attempts were in .obj format, without textures. I was using anim8or much of the time, with occasional help from Carrara, Hexagon, and N-Sided Argile, and even Poser. I always assigned diffuse colors in the final assembly in Poser. Some models I intentionally did in parts, like this lighthouse, so that the light could rotate during animation if assembled manually. It was created to be a simplified version of one of the sketches I'd done of a lighthouse.

light2.jpg
light1.jpg

LIGHTHOUSE--400x886.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
I've only recently been mentioning the little prop models that I used to do....they've been buried under a heap of poses in my ShareCG account. If you're interested in seeing those models, they roughly start around page 24 in my ShareCG downloads (see what I mean by being buried...haha). They were all beginner attempts 8-10 years ago, and though they aren't perfect, I really enjoyed doing them....to me, it was like "3D drawing". It just became discouraging when the technicalities of modeling were beyond my interest....in the same way when I was sketching, I just wanted to create a picture, not explore how and where the paper and pencil were created....haha....in other words, focusing more on the tools than the creativity can kill it for me every time :)

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Can you tell I drank a lot of Mountain Dew back in the day....yikes...can't touch the stuff now....haha. When I was younger, I was soaring on sodas and coffee...loved both....but it definitely will result in some hard mileage on the body.

SODA BOTTLE

SODA-BOTTLE.jpg

DanaTA

Distinguished
And DanaTA, that Poser rose looked good on the site that you suggested. There were several models there that were nice freebies, and more importantly, they explained how they were created. I liked their realistic modeling style.

I struggled with being like that when trying to model....I wanted it to be identifiable even without maps. When I modeled these bottles of ordinary things used every day, I had that in mind....familiar stuff I used every day, getting ready for work....medication, vitamins, shampoo, tylenol, and alcohol (used for keeping hands cleaner in medical environment).

BOTTLE COLLECTION

View attachment 48754

I'm glad you liked my suggestion!

As for modeling, I'm just a very beginner...and need to get back to it. I ran into problems and gave up, but I need to get back to it and move forward. Using Silo, and Fugazi1968's tutorials. I was on the one entitled The Chest. I think I was doing well, but when it came to the UV part, I hit a wall that I couldn't break through, even though I followed along exactly. I even made some minor modifications to the mesh for my intended use. But that UV stuff just killed my enthusiasm. I must get back to it. If I say that enough times, to enough people, maybe I will convince myself. :rolleyes:

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
Dana...same here. As long as I was ignorant to all that could go wrong, I was having a ball modeling. Then I kept getting questions from folks who wanted textures for the models. I could do very simple UV's, but dealing with distortions and stretching...it was my wall, as you call it. And then there was problem polys...quads, tris, reversed normals....and over time it just killed it for me. I guess I'm waiting for a modeling program like Argile...N-Sided Argile was intended to modify, bend, and shape already created models. If I could do the whole process in one modeling program with a graphical interface like that, there might be hope. In Argile I could paint the models that I altered....the fruit was modeled in anim8or, and then imported into Argile to tweak the shapes and then paint the fruit, then exported back out with the painted textures in order to use them in Poser. The UI of the program was so similar to Poser, it was perfect for me. I can still use it, I just can't do the modeling part of the project in it. Argile disappeared several years ago when N-Sided folded.