• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Wow, there's a lot of useful info there...and I'm sure it will all be necessary. I've experienced the scene going black thing, and wondered okay, I added a light, and it went black...haha.

With Studio, as soon as you add your first light, the entire scene will react to it. So when you add a spotlight or pointlight with default settings, the light is sitting on the floor... therefore anything else is dark. That's why it happens. :) But if you start by adding a distant light first, then the whole scene lights right up.

I start with the spotlights first because having the rest of the scene dark actually helps me figure out where the light is actually going when I switch back and forth between spotlight views and render angles to check things.

[Edited to fix my typos and clarify]

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
And, while I was napping, look what has been completed and uploaded to ShareCG...it's beautiful!

LAST SUPPER ROOM

The Last Supper Room.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Didn't he? I'm awe struck :)

I just put up the announcement pages in the DAZ and Poser sections, so folks will know about this.

Responding to his email now . . .

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Bet it feels nice to have it completed, no?

I'm about to go offline for a short while. Have to add up receipts... tomorrow we file taxes. Ugh. I wish our forms were still simple. I really resent having to pay anyone to do something that we've got no choice in doing. Blech!

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, that's always a bit of a pain...annual paperwork...I never was a paperwork type person...I tolerate, but can't say that I like it.

Well, all the announcements are posted....so I can settle down.

Maybe I can catch you later, if you're on...after a couple more hours sleep, I might have eyes to try this room model out. I would like to be able to see what I'm doing...haha. But, wanted to wake myself up around 3:00 a.m. since that's when Mark's been emailing usually...which is evening for him in New Zealand. I had a feeling he'd finish up this morning...and sure enough. I had all my notes to links ready for the release so I wouldn't be fumbling around making mistakes.

So...I guess I'll see you later Seliah...since you'll be enjoying your paperwork o_O

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Oh, that's always a bit of a pain...annual paperwork...I never was a paperwork type person...I tolerate, but can't say that I like it.

Well, all the announcements are posted....so I can settle down.

Maybe I can catch you later, if you're on...after a couple more hours sleep, I might have eyes to try this room model out. I would like to be able to see what I'm doing...haha. But, wanted to wake myself up around 3:00 a.m. since that's when Mark's been emailing usually...which is evening for him in New Zealand. I had a feeling he'd finish up this morning...and sure enough. I had all my notes to links ready for the release so I wouldn't be fumbling around making mistakes.

So...I guess I'll see you later Seliah...since you'll be enjoying your paperwork o_O

I used to just fill out all the forms myself. But ever since we bought this house, that hasn't been possible. The house has two rental units in it, and taxes for a rental property are way over my head. LOL I just resent having to shell out $400 to file the dang things. That kind of fee ought to be illegal, especially on forms that you *must* file! Sheesh.

Have a good night, Sky. Good luck with the lighting there. :)

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Ah... it looks like I actually already have that one. H'mm. Maybe I picked up and just don't remember getting it. Might also have been one of those things I grabbed just to boost the discount on the stacking sales at some point... very odd that I even own it! I never buy lights! LMAO

skylab

Esteemed
Importing the room into Poser now. Poser 11 wasn't recognizing the OBJ, which happens most often now, so I'm use Poser Pro 2014 to get the ball rolling. So far so good. Turns out the grid design in the ceiling is see through, so will making lighting easier.

Thought I'd start with the Poser version, before trying the DS scene :)

skylab

Esteemed
And here's first test DS render, with only two overhead lights....so the scene will be very easy to light, which is necessary for the figure placement, then can be toned down in intensity for final rendering.

DS4 LS SCENE TEXT RENDER 1.jpg