• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Linda B

Extraordinary
I watched one of those how to videos, one on depth of field. That guy is a genius at teaching. He's bit hard for me to understand at times, I think because of the sound quality (and I'm half deaf). I now can render DoF, split view screens, render on the fly check the scene. For years I've had people try to explain DoF but it never stuck. Mattymanx, a daz vendor, explained I don't know how many times. He's the one that got me started in 3D. We met on a gaming forum oh back around 2001-2005, don't quite remember. He bought me a bunch of mil dog/puppy stuff to get me started. Really nice guy and I can say "I knew him when". ;)

skylab

Esteemed
Oh cool....thanks for that link....now I've got another prop in my BUGS folder :) I was kinda seeing the roaches that way too...or maybe like a gang...motorcyles or tough guys of the neighbood....and bullies, like taking all the food. I like to give myself plenty of time to think about the characters...what their appearances say about themselves.

I've been pondering the sink also....some of it may have to be done in Poser.....I'll need to look around for parts to pools, and maybe a water slide....and floats...haha. And how would they deal with food at a party....and bug sized furniture....haha....a spool of thread to sit on....stuff like that....have to let my imagination have room to stretch a little :)

:bee:

Linda B

Extraordinary
Oh somebody made props for the house mouse. Maybe Terre's Jim (Xaa). I'll check share cg because they'd be perfect.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh good, so the tutorials do help. I never know for sure....but I figure it helps if the person knows that they can go on YouTube and just start typing stuff in the search until something pops up.

It was like that for me when the guy was teaching about choosing colors in Sculptris...he loved what he was doing so much that it made him a good communicator. Sometimes people try to tutorials but they really don't love what they are teaching, and it squeezes out and around what they are saying, and pours cold water all over the thing....haha. I agree, the guy doing the Studio tutorials is good at what he's doing....he truly enjoys it...and he was using it during his recovery from cancer, and I understand that...that one has to have something to focus on to take the focus off of health issues. He calls himself WP Guru and his beginner tutorial playlist starts here.

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Exactly....Jim made a sardine can bed....and some sort of shower rig....tiny stuff that would be perfect for a bug's world :)

skylab

Esteemed
That was the idea behind the two props mentioned on the previous page...these two:

FLOWER FURNITURE

FLOWER PHONE

Even though they are on the too cutesy side....if the materials were changed, it might have a different appearance....or they may just be useful for the ideas. The Flower Phone is actually a record player....haha. And the flower furniture is self explanatory. Remember back in the 70's when folks made book cases out of crates and cinderblocks? I was thinking along the lines of a bug-sized equivalent....whatever that would be....haha....something that they could haul around for a backyard party, and then haul back to their homes....put those ants to work :) Oh, did you ever see the ANTZ movie...and Bugs Life?

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, we found it at the same time...haha. I still think there was one in Mortem Vetus' stuff. I'll check on that....after all, they'll need different chairs :)

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, that's what I used to do the short video that's rendering now....in iray it could take a long time....so I'll have to piddle in Poser this evening, test some of the freebies, etc.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I have a character in mind to do for Poser so I'm trying to learn zbrush character creation to do a rough draft while a loooooong render finishes. If I get bored of that I might try and do some bug furniture.