• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

Terre

Renowned
Terre, thanks for your help in getting us connected with help for Dani...I've forwarded contact info directly to Dani, so that she can get in touch :) She doesn't come online much on the weekends, so it may take awhile for her to respond. Thanks for your help!

:bee:
You're welcome. I've not had that problem myself but I'll bet she isn't the only one who has.

Linda B

Extraordinary
Beautiful day here. Mountains are starting to look pretty with their fall foliage. Took parents to lunch, went grocery shopping, mowed the grass, laundry started. Whew, I'm done! Now to play some more with Studio.

skylab

Esteemed
Isn't it wonderful, to finally get everything done, and sit down to play time :) I've been napping in front of M*A*S*H today, so that I'd have some steam to play this evening :)

:angel:

Terre

Renowned
Good to hear things are going well. :)
I made a trip to Clovis today to get some new shoes for work. Got two pairs that should do for quite a while.

skylab

Esteemed
I've been reclining, working on the mat changes for the Tumbleweed buggy....wow, there are a ga-zillion parts to the thing. I'm about at the halfway point now...so it's easily a two cups of coffee job...haha...here's a progress-so-far render :) Guess I'll turn the lamps into reflectors, if they can't be turned off in the parameters.

TUMBLEWEED DARK BROWN and AMISH BUGGY 2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Oh Stezza...that looks wonderful!!! I know you're in Australia...so you've never actually seen one, but you've nailed it, apparently using pictures of them :) As far as I know, and I've searched a lot for them, you've just created the only Amish buggy in Poserverse...it looks great Stezza :) Any chance that you'd be willing to export it as an .obj for Poser and Studio users? It would be great for still renders, even though it's not rigged. It's way better than my "black box" version...haha....I was giving it my best try...but it could only be so much with my limited modeling :)

:wow:

skylab

Esteemed
Description of "modern" Amish buggies with "new" features, the "gray box" style buggies, that have battery powered lights and turn signals, and improved suspension.

skylab

Esteemed
These are exactly like the one that Stezza has modeled :) Some have windows in the back, others have a "flap", like a hatchback car.

skylab

Esteemed
These communities can be seen in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, areas of Ohio, and there are even conservative Mennonites in northern Virginia, west of Harrisonburg, in a community called Dayton. In this video, the driver passes by a Mennonite church in Dayton, where the hitching posts can be seen lined up for the buggies that will arrive for service. I've seen these before, during services, and it's really something to see, all the buggies lined up in orderly rows. It's also interesting to pass by the schools during recess, when the children are out playing :)

How to hitch the horse to a buggy....interesting...too bad we can't have blinders like the horses, to filter out distractions :)

skylab

Esteemed
Some history of the Amish and Mennonite in the US

...and a buggy at a McDonald's drive-thru....haha....they should have horse happy meals :)

skylab

Esteemed
I've been thinking about what was said in the history of Mennonite and Amish video...the man stated that at the time of the American Revolution in 1776, about 62% of the population were of German (Amish and Mennonite) origin, and only 17% were English, and another 20% were a mix of other nationalities. Makes sense...it was the Dutch and Germans who made covenants dedicating the new land to God...and to this day, they haven't broken that commitment, even though everything around them seems to be going absolutely ape crazy.

Reminds me of a joke that a friend of mine used to tell...she was German, so she could tell it on herself....it went something like "a lady was fretting over whether her husband cared for her, he never spoke a word to indicate that he did....and finally one day her strict, German husband said 'I told you that I loved you the day we got married....and I'll let you know if I change my mind'. It seems to be the nature of that culture to stick with a thing, no matter what...haha :)

:angel:

skylab

Esteemed

Dani might like browsing through the Amish store in this video :)

Very interesting tour and explanation of old Amish customs in the video below :) His description of the one room schools reminded me of the country house school that I attended during elementary grades, created for similar reasons that he described...rural counties were concerned about the quality of education being maintained at a high standard, and felt that could only be done by small community schools, forerunners of the home schooling movement. The strict focus on reading and writing when I was young paid off in later years when I entered public high school...not only did I finish early, but graduated with honor at college level. The Amish have a similar goal...that is, to complete all education by the eighth grade, and then immediately becoming productive within their community, with no time for idleness. He mentions that every boy is given his own horse and buggy at the age of 16, after completion of schooling. I started working and bought my first car at the age of 17, so I was on my own even before I graduated from high school :) Things have sure changed these days.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
I studied the Amish in college for a couple of projects. A common misconception is that they shun all things modern. It's not that but they don't want to be dependent on anything. Electricity for example would mean being dependent on an electric company. When the government decided all milk had to be pasteurized the Amish debated what to do as not being able to sell their milk would have hurt them economically. What then ended up doing is getting batteries. I don't recall what brought this issue up in their community but something decided a phone would be a necessity like when a child was sick and someone needed to call the doctor. What they did was put one pay phone in the middle of the community.

It's their ability to adapt that has kept their community going.

skylab

Esteemed
Exactly. Apparently they are using battery powered stuff quite a bit now. I image that the availability of solar powered stuff has helped a lot. Unfortunately they've had to embrace cell phones to some degree because of not only convenience, but safety. After the attack on the school in 2006, some adjustments had to be made in order to deal with outside pressures. They've proven their ability to maintain themselves as a community for generations, but there was no other way to deal with outsiders who failed to control themselves, especially if it became worse as time went by. Columbine was in 1999, and the Amish school incident was in 2006. Now there's something happening nearly every week all over the country. It's like the frogs in a kettle principle...we get accustomed to certain behaviors and realities like the influence of slow boiling water, until we're overcome by it, like frogs in a kettle. Then folks are frantic, trying to deal with the symptoms instead of the cause. Hot boiling water by itself isn't the problem...it's how we deal with anger and rage. Modern society thinks of it as a right, an entitlement, not realizing they will destroy themselves and eventually others, if they reject the only way to effectively release it.