• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
This reminds me of being in the backyard with my Dad when I was a kid...he would've taken on the challenge of stabilizing the Reliant...and we would've worked on it until nothing could take it down...and I would have been his light weight, nine year old test driver...haha.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
My son loves Top Gear! Clarkson got into some trouble for fighting with a producer and BBC cancelled the show. Amazon picked it up and they sent out an email offering a few free tickets to the filming of the first one - just reply back with your name and phone number. So I forwarded it to my son and he filled it out and sent it back. One of the producers of the show called him and they talked about cars for a bit. My son and about 400 other people got tickets. Turned out there was a five year waiting list to see the show live in Britain so this was a huge deal. Turns out a lot of people were counting on the Amazon tickets and had booked flights to SoCal to see it but didn't get in. Anyway I love the Top Gear crew. Clarkson is so non-PC, actually says what he wants to say.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, I didn't realize all that...this is the first time I've ever heard of the show...I was just enjoying their antics on YouTube, especially the soccer game :) That's a shame that the show was cancelled...I'd certainly watch it if it was available. I'm not much into straight racing since it's so dangerous, but I enjoy comical demo derby and car customizing shows...and I used to even watch Car Matchmaker. In this one they take a ride in a micro car at the end.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh, okay, thanks :) I think I'm fascinated with the small cars because of the comedy involved, and I'm always imagining Nursoda characters driving them :)

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
One of the TruForm cars on sale recently is half micro car and half space ship, called a Teravax. Here it is, with Schurby's car and chrome mats :) At 70% off, it made a nice future animation investment.

TETRAVAX CAR with SHURBY MATS EXTERIOR.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
You got me wondering what a Nursoda car would look like. Maybe I'll try and model one.

skylab

Esteemed
Wow, I just woke from my nap to that very good news :) Funny, I was thinking before I went to sleep that I needed to research how to do animations for vehicles...I imagine it could be done, same as a walk cycle for a human or cartoon character, but I don't think I've ever run across animations for vehicles. Some of the vehicles that I have even have suspension, so that they could even bounce a little. I only done a few animations involving vehicles so far...some space ship stuff with Slon, and the ones below. The Camaro was a test to do multiple actions...driving, adjusting the mirror, and tire rotation. The Shelby Cobra with Slon was kind of a sight gag for the Nursoda gang thread, and the biker bunny, which was the white rabbit from Content Paradise, was my first animation...I thought his ears would be funny, bouncing along :) Because it was a first try, it was before I learned about how to settle the hands down...but it actually made the animation funnier just to leave it that way, like he was grabbing to hold on...haha. The hamster wheel was another early animation...not a vehicle, but another rotational challenge.

Something to think about...maybe we could have an opportunity for collaboration on a project like I did with Mark Fowler, Pappy, and Clark...all three of them were vendors, but we worked together occasionally on specific projects...like I could do a few freebies as an add-on to your project perhaps...or sometimes just test renders, like we've already been doing. That way, I could enjoy the challenge without taking on more stress than my health would allow. Heart, renal function, diabetes, and blood pressure can do a nasty little dance, once they get started... it's swing your partner, dosey doe...and three things can throw the whole thing into a spin...lack of rest, poor diet, or stress. That's why I retired....my job was crazy, short deadline and long hours type stress. But I thrive with a few well-paced challenges. That's why I work on several projects at one time...I do one for awhile, then discipline myself to put it aside and start something else, so that I don't kick into overdrive.

camaro--M4.gif

schurby-tractor.gif

hamster.gif

slon-driving-shelby.gif

biker-bunny.gif

:bee::beehive: :bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a space ship with Slon. There was a sci-fi sale at DAZ and there's a guy over there named petipet that does unusual, slightly quirky sci-fi stuff, so I was testing Slon in the driver seat (at the very top). I should have rotated the propellers more too, but at the time I was testing getting him across the screen in space.

slon-ship1.jpg

slon---ship2.gif

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre :) Blast from the past, isn't it? Haha...

Here's a 3D demonstration of how the steering wheel interacts with the wheels in order to drive the car.

skylab

Esteemed
This will be like listening to my Dad talk about mechanical stuff...some very dated basic information that might be helpful to modelers.

skylab

Esteemed
Maybe you can see by now why I was part of my Dad's backyard "pit crew"...he talked about cars all the time. I didn't have his working knowledge of mechanics, but I was familiar enough with it that I could speak his language most of the time.

These videos show how an engine works, and the last one touches on how electric cars function.

Terre

Renowned
Fully electric cars need a much greater range before they're useful for anything other than running around town here. Battery tech will eventually improve enough I think. Hybrids are another matter. They have useful range right now.

skylab

Esteemed
Hmmm....that's strange, it's still playing now when I click it from here in the forum. That's one of the 3D model versions, and I tried to get a mix of 3D videos as well as mechanical, for clarity. I think I was doing a search of "animating car parts" or "animating car engines" in YouTube search in order to find those. There were literally a ga-zillion options so I tried to pick the least technical. The ones from the 1930's and 1950's were more basic...technology has changed some since then, but sometimes the newer stuff comes across fast and complicated. Anyway....try the video again, and maybe it will work for you :)

:bee: