• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Janet, you mentioned attempting to load it to this thread, and indeed the original 2.5 megs was too large. However, I fiddled with it in JASC Animation Shop, reducing the colors to 127, cropped it tighter, and got it down to a little over 700 k, so here it is...your Mr. Bounce in .gif format :)

ani-cat-bounce-cropped.gif

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Thank you Sky! I was searching for cats doing weird things to animated when I ran across Mr. Bouncey Cat.

skylab

Esteemed
I figure if we pool our efforts, we both learn as we go :) I've messed with video editing a lot, just as much if not more so than animating. Glad to help out any time.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
It's hard to let go of what is familiar long enough to learn something new since every step can be so painfully slow. However, I was determined this morning to learn a little more about navigating in DAZ Studio, despite its thoroughly hidden, and multi-layered tools. I'm so accustomed to Poser having things easily accessible, and divided into "rooms". I had to do google searches for every question I had while attempting this render....little things like how to change the eye position, or color tint and move the lights, or how to get a background image to show....but after getting a thorough work out, at least I made some progress and learned something. So here's Genesis 8 with Rendo's Dylan, and the desert robe. Next time I'm in the mood to learn new stuff, I've got to figure out how to control the expressions and facial features.

There was one part in the instructions for Dylan that had me confused...it reads:
VERY IMPORTANT: Remember to check the option "Firefly Filter Enable", it must be ON in order to avoid artifacts during the rendering process and to give this character the perfect skin.
When I read this, I was thinking Firefly is Poser rendering, so how come it's mentioned in a DAZ Studio product. So, I'll throw the question out here in case someone more experienced with DS4.10 happens by.

Genesis8-Dyland-desert-robe-wbkgrd.jpg

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Just found it. Go to Render at the top > Render settings. Then on the left hand side All. About half way down: Firefly Filter Enable.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, thanks Janet :) So the directions were referring to a DS setting, first time I've heard of that in anything other than Poser.

skylab

Esteemed
Got it! See what I mean about info being thoroughly hidden under multi-layers....here's a screen capture of the location of the Firefly Filter Enable setting :)

DSFirefly-Filter-enable.jpg

DanaTA

Distinguished
Sure I can move it.
I only asked because you mentioned animations, and I saw only one, so I thought maybe that one was in the plans to move. I have it in my wishlist for now. Limited budget for spending on...well, much of anything.

Dana

skylab

Esteemed
I played some more with the whitetail deer, and located the Hivewire Horse neck settings, and found how to reduce the bulk of the neck, making it more slender. I might pursue working on doing the same for the body also, especially the doe and fawn.

Whitetail Deer-neck-settings.jpg

Whitetail Deer - neck adjust.jpg

Whitetail Deer - neck adjust2.jpg

Terre

Renowned
I'm used to seeing fawns with the spotted coat they have when quite young. That one keeps looking like a small doe.

skylab

Esteemed
And indeed it will continue to look like a small doe, until the fawn texture is released...in fact, I think there will be a doe texture also. But, once the fawn gets out of the spotted baby stage, they do go through quite a lengthy time of following along in the group, appearing like a small doe, with little or no markings (no well-defined white patch on the neck). We had at least four like this in our backyard at one time, staying with the mother, forming their own little family herd. And, I used to drive through a rural area as a short cut getting home from church, and a dozen, or even as many as 20 at a time, could be seen in the fields at night...the car headlights would shine on their eyes....and all that could be seen were many pairs of eyes, moving rapidly around the field...so the herd is made up of young and old, in varying stages of growth. The photos of the deer that visited our picnic lunch was probably young...very slender and light on her feet. A large buck would never have come that close. I'm 4'11"...if I had stood up without frightening the young deer away, it would have been easier to see that she was quite young, lacking the height and weight of a full grown deer. In looking at the renders above, I'm happier with the necks, but now the bodies appear too bulky, so I'll need to tweak those if possible. I think I remember reading here on the forum that there will be will be doe and fawn textures and perhaps morph packs that will be released later, but I have no idea when that will be. Until then, the only way to "fake it" in a render is to have the doe and young in a grazing position.

DEER1.jpg

DEER2.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
Right, because they are very, very young. But I have to say, it was quite a dose of cute when that deer walked up behind me, sniffing my peanut butter sandwich :) It was obvious what she wanted, so I gave her mine, and then gladly made her another one. That photo was taken over 30 years ago...a friend from church and I got together to take a drive that day....we were both worn out from ministry, and I was also worn out from work, and we just needed to get away and have a low stress day. Neither of us had much extra cash to spend, so we decided to pack a jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and some drinks, and trust that the day would be fun and memorable. So having a young deer show up to share our lunch was certainly fun and memorable :)