• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
My '70's muscle cars looked like these...the red one was the racer. The ones I had before, and since the 70's were and have been a little more conservative...haha.

70's cars.jpg

Terre

Renowned
The Plymouth Duster was their version of the Nova is what I've been told and it certainly looks very similar in shape. The funny part was that the first owner of the car had put heavy duty leaf springs on the rear so it was actually slightly raised up. It made one friend think I was a sporty person when he first met me. Didn't take him long to find out that I was actually very shy and reserved. After 20 years in retail I'm less so and more able to open up and communicate. I think nearly six years online has helped that too.

Terre

Renowned
Jim says he already has those car models you linked to. That's a big seal of approval in my book.

skylab

Esteemed
A shy girl with a jacked up Duster...o--kay. ..haha. I drove a Duster one time, it was on loan during some car repairs. It had pretty good get up, as I remember. It needed some TLC on the exterior, had lost its shine altogether. All of these habits had to give way to an all consuming career eventually, but back in the '70's I actually had time for things like this....I used to wash my cars every day and towel dry them, so you could see your face in the paint. Talk about time and energy.....ho-humm....those were the days. Back then muscle cars were affordable, gas was around 35-40 cents a gallon...and insurance didn't bust you open either. Truly the good ole days.

skylab

Esteemed
Here's a 73 Duster racing an 80 Camaro....at first the Duster jumps the gun, so he backs up and they try again. You can see the "lift" I was talking about, as the light weight Duster leaves the heavy Camaro behind...and that was the advantage I had over the Ford Mach I, powerful, but built like a tank...haha. Oh, by the way, readers...and kids, don't try this at home....haha.

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
Good news: I got the estimate from the insurance adjuster for the hail damage from last October. It comes out to a claim worth following through on when the wind damage one from the Blizzard called Goliath wasn't. We've had another shingle blow loose in the most recent winds. I figure it was loosened in the blizzard and finally tore off.

skylab

Esteemed
Glad things are working out for you regarding storm damage.

I'm currently working on pose projects for both the Dodge Challenger and Schurby's 1950 truck. The Challenger has ended up being just that, a challenger, as the driver has to have long arms and short legs for a good fit...so it requires some strategic bending of the legs and slight leaning forward of the body in order for the arms to reach the steering wheel. The issues I'm having with Apollo so far is the thickness of his thighs, and reach of his arms. When folks create muscular characters, they're not thinking in terms of the impact it has on "normal" tasks....in real life, the flesh mashes a little flatter when in a seated position, and the seat of course sinks down a little...but with an OBJ file, without the assistance of morphs, the dynamics are different. For myself, I usually compensate for this by "sinking" the model into the car seat a little, simulating what happens when a heavy person sits on a soft cushion....but doing pose sets for other people, I try to get the best possible fit, which takes awhile. Anyway, Apollo driving the Challenger should be ready by tomorrow afternoon. I plan to attempt each of the male figures for both the car and truck....Apollo, M4, Dusk, Paul, Steve, and someone requested Hiro 3, Poser figures are usually easier to fit than others, which push toward being 7 ft. tall....in real life they'd have a problem fitting into most cars, and it's true in the 3D world also when cars are built to scale.

Terre

Renowned
The height of many characters is something I've seen several people gripe about. Some tall ones are needed, yes. And some short and a lot of average if you want to do everyday sort of stuff like many do.

skylab

Esteemed
I've been working on M4 this afternoon...his head tends to want to go through the ceiling...haha. Anyway, I got both Apollo and M4 bunched up enough to fit in the Challenger, and am about to upload them. Next comes Paul, Steve and Hiro 3, which probably will be ready later this week.

skylab

Esteemed
These videos are demonstrating the basics of Poser Pro 2014 Fitting Room...this will have to do until there is Crossdresser 4 support for Paul

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey, Skylab! Welcome back! Love that gorgeous little kitty in your avatar, too. :D

Yes indeed, the older interface gives whole new meaning to the term "squinting"...it becomes a permanent mannerism after awhile, even with glasses. So I really appreciated the new "senior" feature.

I wish some other programs had this ability, too. I'm not a pensioner, but I have found "the 3D squint" has become part of the process since I started in this hobby! LOL. It's good to know P11 has this feature. :)

Another tip for those who might be experiencing difficultly importing OBJ files into Poser Pro 11...I've been doing OBJ imports into Poser Pro 2o14, saving the OBJ as a Poser scene file, then importing that scene file into my main Poser 11 project scene. It maintains materials and is a fast work around for work flow.

Is P11 difficult to manage OBJ imports and older figures/models in? I've been debating whether or not to spring for the updated program because I'd really like access to some of the newer fitting/rigging features that do not exist in P10, but if it's having difficulty importing OBJ's, I'm not so sure it would be worth my money to get. The primary uses I have for Poser these days is content support for my items, so that I don't leave Poser artists in the cold when I make something.

I have unfortunately, become entirely too uncomfortable in the current versions to use them for any serious artwork; my personal rendering is done in Studio these days, but I was looking at P11 for some of the more technical features - especially the better rigging tools. The Setup room in P10 makes my brain explode and I have yet to be able to successfully rig ANYTHING in it, no matter how many tutorials I follow.