• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Freeware modeler, Bforartists, that's based on Blender 2.79b, but with changes to the user interface. Screen capture below. Features.

Import capability includes Collada, 3ds, FBX, bvh, obj and others.

Export capability includes Collada, 3ds, FBX, obj and others.

Bforartists.jpg

Last edited:

skylab

Esteemed
PDF Manual for above Bforartists 3D modeling program, a clone of Blender 2.79b. Apparently this project is geared for hobbyists, to have the function of Blender but replacing or eliminating many hot keys with intuitive menu selections. The PDF manual is a major revision to the Blender manual, eliminating unnecessary information, and apparently is extensive (2752 pages, 112 meg). I didn't test the installer, but opted for the zip version download, and so far it functions fine on my Windows 7 system.

PDF and documentation page

Bforartists download page

:coding:

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I saw that a couple of years ago, so I don't think it's current 27b version was the first. I never tried it, but then I've been using Blender for years, so didn't feel I needed it.

That said, the new Blender 2.8 is supposed to have a trimmed down UI that n00bs are going to like. Hopefully, they'll like the new version's UI better than they liked the older versions' UI.

skylab

Esteemed
True, but Blender is leaving the hobbyists behind who want to stick with Windows 7 and their older systems (OpenGL requirements), so was looking for alternative to costly equipment upgrades. Found the German mouse-friendly modification of Blender, Bforartists, and thought it was worth a try :)

Description from the website:

That's where Bforartists is equal to Blender. The features. But there is of course a reason for the fork. The points where we differ from Blender. And that's mainly the user interface and the handling.

The Differences to Blender:

• A brand new Keymap with Left Click select, which is reduced to just the necessary hotkeys.
  • Cleaned up User Interface. More than 600 not necessary double menu entries removed.
  • Extended User Interface. Close to 100 formerly hotkey only tools have a menu entry now.
  • Rearranged User Interface. Some things are better accessible now, some are not so much in the way anymore.
  • 700 new native icons.
  • Icon Buttons in the Tool Shelf to reduce the scrolling.
  • A configurable Toolbar with icon buttons.
  • Improved Layouts.
  • Better Tooltips.
  • Better readable standard theme.
  • Some neat new addons to improve usability, like the reset 3D View addon or the Important Hotkey addon.
  • And lots more small details like hidable 3D Cursor or Wireframe Colors. Or that you can now delete objects and selections without the delete menu quiz.
This all leads to a much more intuitive and easier to use interface. But the code is just half of the show. Another important bit are the non code things.

• The Bforartists usage is centered around the graphical menu, not hotkeys. Bforartists relies at an intuitive and self explaining graphical UI in the first place. And then the hotkeys.
  • The target audience for Bforartists are hobbyists and indie developers. Blender tries to target professionals. But most of them don't care for various reasons.
  • A better manual. The Blender manual is in big parts unsearchable, has an odd structure, and relies heavily at the Blender keymap to name just a few flaws, making it unusable for users. That's why we rewrite it, piece by piece.
  • Official learning videos. No need to spend days with searching for the one tutorial that is understandable, for the actual version and is not a spelling lesson. This is also an ongoing project.
  • Bforartists is not bound to the Blender bubble. It has its own independant eco system.

Bforartists.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Also, from a description of the program on another website, it apparently addresses the select issue:

Bforartists corrected one issue that is irritating to any first-time user of Blender: Right-Click to Select. Blender must be the only program in the known universe to use a setup like this that diametrically opposed to how users use the Left-Click to select objects.

VIDEO TUTORIAL PAGE

YOUTUBE VIDEO TUTORIALS

Last edited:

Terre

Renowned
Good morning. :)
That alternate version of blender looks interesting. I might end up deciding to try something like that but I'm still on XP.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Are you sure there's no 32-bit version available Terre? I think, though haven't checked it out lately, but Blender used to have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If they still have them when version 2.8 comes out, you might want to try that, as they're saying the new 2.8 UI will be easier for those who always found older versions of Blender hard to get around in.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre...just remember, Blender 2.80 requires OpenGL 3, a bit of a stretch for a Windows XP system graphics card. That's what cut me out on Windows 7...I can handle OGL 2, but not 3...so Blender 2.80 won't even start up on my system, just shuts itself down. I'm hoping that the German re-write of Blender will work when they release the new version, they are working on the 2.80 equivalent now. With the tutorial videos and the similarity to Blender, I thought others might be interested in knowing about it for older machines. As it is, it already does sculpting, grease pencil, particles, etc. Worth a try :) Better than being totally left behind with dated software. And yes, I see a 32 bit version on the Bforartists download page.

Blender 2.80 beta also has a 32 bit version, just be aware of the graphics issue.

skylab

Esteemed
Here's info on my graphics card, and how it won't do Open GL 3.

Your "Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset" graphics card's OpenGL version is 2.1. Required is a graphics card that supports OpenGL 3.0 or better.

In order to find out the specific graphics card that you have, just check it by clicking START -> All Programs - > Accessories folder -> System Tools folder -> System Information -> Components -> Display

Once you find out what type of graphics card you have, just google the name of it with Open GL 3, and see if a link to your information pops up, like mine did.

Terre

Renowned
I have my parents tape deck. I don't know if the tapes have survived though. They included ones my dad recorded of my mother and I singing back when I was 7 and 8. Sheesh. Those tapes are almost half a century old.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I never had reels of tape. All my old albums back then are on vinyl, in various sizes, and don't laugh, but I still have most of them. ;)

My newer albums are on CDs and small tapes.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey everybody :) I had both vinyl and reel-to-reel...and favorites ended up on reel-to-reel since one reel would hold a lot of music...today's equivalent of Mp3's on a thumb drive. Reel-to-reel was used for group music rehearsals too. I was doing performances with friends by the time I was 11...and continued with it in various ways for 40 years. Whew...time flies o_O