• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Maybe when 2.8 is released, I'll give it a try again, and visit your thread perhaps if I get totally lost :) I'll still be looking at the new interface of Anim8or...it really looks different. Here's a screenshot of the new opening screen.

The free modeler Anim8or 1.0 .....and PDF versions of the new manual.

anim8or1.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, I played with Anim8tor years ago, probably one of the first modeling apps I ever tried, but wasn't that impressed with it back then. The UI looks better now.

The one other modeler I tried back then was Wings 3D, and the only thing I didn't like about it, was it was mouse-centric, and I use a Wacom Pen and Tablet, so trying to move something slightly, usually had it ending up way off the grid, so I had to hit the Tab key to open a dialog box so I could enter the proper amounts. It was while I was trying to create a dog house from a tutorial, and it came out fairly decently, but I didn't like having that one issue, so started playing with Blender instead. Don't know if it's still that way or not, as I haven't played with it in many years. It's also open source and free.

skylab

Esteemed
I remember trying Wings 3D many years ago, but all I remember about it is that it didn't feel as intuitive as other free options. And long before Poser or DAZ Studio, I used to try to mess with 3D software...trial versions of Rhino and Strata, there was one called Now3D that was free, and Amapi, and I remember when TrueSpace was distributed for free. I used to admire Chris Tyler's work, who is now still working with Strata I think. I used Ulead's 3D software to create animated logos for my website back in the late '90's...I used to get so much "how did you do that?" email back then...haha. From there I transitioned into using Flash software for quite awhile...my favorite was called Swift...and spent quite a few years making animated art with font-action. Here's an example on my website (you might have to give permission for flash to see it). To this day I still like this kind of thing, and my current toy I'm learning for that is called BluffTitler...it's for making flashy video intros like this (see below)...it's like Swift on steroids...haha. And when software like this has the ability to import 3D content, it can create some cool stuff...for advertising and intros. So I've been dancing around 3D for a lot of years, but my main interest has been animation and video message art rather than rendering. I guess that's why I probably am not viewed as taking Poser rendering very seriously...it's because I had all this other stuff cooking on the stove in the background that I never talked about...until now :) My family used to tell me when I was a kid that I was going to be a graphic artist...and I'd think to myself, what's that? They said that because I was forever doing message art, with zingers, one-liners, plays on words...which is what advertising art really is. So all the crazy Nursoda comedy stuff is just a form of expressing that very same thing.

The only software I regret not trying was one time, years later, DAZ had copies of Modo for under $100, and I picked the daisy over it, should I, shouldn't I, should I, shouldn't I....and I decided not to. I could have gotten the software and been in the upgrade path, and didn't do it. So time went by, and I finally got Silo at a very good price...the only real 3D software that I ever purchased, that and Argile. So I've been camped out there with 3D ever since.

:bee:

skylab

Esteemed
Checked for links to these 3D programs that have been around for a long time. 3D Crafter has a free version that has a long list of import and export options, including .obj, and Now3D has been updated to at least work with Windows 7, but I'm not sure beyond that. Miss B mentioned Blender and Wings 3D. So here's a list of all the links mentioned to free 3D software options, in order by skill level. It's worth mentioning that Anim8or does not require installation, just unzip the small executable in a folder of your choice...and manuals here.

ANIM8OR

3D CRAFTER

NOW 3D

WINGS 3D

BLENDER

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Just clarifying, I thought I might have been recalling the name of the flash software incorrectly...it was not Swift, but Swish...and for years their site was at swishzone.com, but with the decline in use of flash .swf, they shut down, but they were kind enough to distribute a key generator for their customers to continue using the software. Many people block flash in their browsers now.

The name Swift was a desktop flash screensaver creator that is still available for free, also a nice toy for animators...so I just was confusing the names of the two similar flash programs. Non-flash screensavers can be created with Screensaver Wonder. Anfy Java was another program that I used for years online, but like flash, it is becoming extinct because of misuse. Java applets enabled things like water ripples and scrolling text similar to Star Wars titles.

I think that's it for the stroll down animation software memory lane :) Time for dinner and rest...have a good evening everyone.

:sleep:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Actually, I don't even have Flash installed anymore, and several sites I used to go to regularly have redone all their Flash files with other software. For the longest time, I could only visit my favorite greeting cards site with my tablet. Flash is definitely on it's way out, and has been for a number of years.

It's too bad, as I took several classes using Flash in 2001/2002, and I liked it for web design features, but I hardly ever see things like that any more, since there are other methods which can do the same, or at least very similar.

skylab

Esteemed
Know what you mean...I spent so many years when I was younger learning every feature of programs that were flash and java based, and loved using them...and then watched as they slowly became villainized, then extinct. It sort of discourages one from spending a lot of time on any one program after having that happen repeatedly. I was a bit concerned when Poser 8 launched its flash-based content folder...like what on earth were they thinking. I was very glad to see the new Poser 11 changes in the interface. I think Poser 8 was a hasty response to the "clunky software" outcries from millennials who didn't realize that the UI in Poser 7 could be moved around and customized, even hidden by unchecking them in the menu. I still wish the "docking" option had not been included, since the old way of just clicking and dragging the tools was smoother, without things coming undocked mid-maneuver. And as far as general appearance, charcoal gray is so "in" now that it's getting so that all of the art programs look alike...and sooner or later that new hat will get old too :)

:bee:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Speaking of Poser and Flash, I lost my internal Library in P9 because of not having Flash available on this laptop. Thank goodness I had Shaderworks Library Manager 2, or I would've been out of luck until I got PP11.

Oh, and as far as all software being the same color, I have several that have black UIs, and Blender has a lot of themes to choose from, so I have it set up as Black as well.

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yeah, it made Poser 8 and 9 totally dependent upon flash...no flash, no library...haha. When Poser 8 was released a good number of users were without a content library until the situation was solved. It not just having flash, but something about the permissions for it to operate through Poser. Dimension3D came to the rescue with XL Library on Rendo. If anyone ever loses their library, that utility will save the day.

This is one of the renders I did at the time that the Poser 8 library failed, when we were all sitting around on the forum, waiting for a fix. Much praise had been heaped upon the "new and improved" Poser, with an "out with the old" twist...so here's the new Poser 8 Andy, frustrated that things weren't going so well, and the "old Manny" is out of his wheelchair and is just quietly observing :)

andy-manny-p8.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Terre...great news about Wayii making more textures. Tell her that I asked for her to stop by here, would like to see her, and she could make a personal appearance for those who have missed her. It's wonderful that Nursoda is on a roll again, so would love to see Wayii announce her textures here again. The list of Nursoda freebies is growing almost weekly :) Also would love to see others who were part of the Nursoda tribe...I know many are busy these days with other real life pursuits, but if they are still doing 3D, and have the time, we'd love to see them. . .
:grouphug:

:coding:

skylab

Esteemed
Terre...I thought of this after the fact...since the forum hacking of November 2015, folks may need to sign up for the forum again in order to log-in. If I remember correctly when I set up my freebie thread again, I had to sign up in order to get back in. So, just passing that along, if it helps anyone to know what happened. And, the Nursoda freebie thread was swallowed up during the hacking, so there's a need for it to be set up again, if interested. One tip...because of tighter security to prevent the same thing from happening again, we only have about 10 minutes to edit a post now...then we have to move on to another post...so, a Nursoda list couldn't be set up and regularly edited the way the original one was...so it may take some thought how to go about doing it. Perhaps a post of lists per character initially (that is, a Slon section, a Fon section, etc) , then additions with new posts as they happen. Just passing along the info, and why for the forum changes. Wayii, we need you girl...are you up to it?

:balloon02:

Miss B

CV-BEE
Now there's a name out of the past. I haven't seen Wayii on a 3D forum in years. I hope she's doing well.

Terre

Renowned
Now there's a name out of the past. I haven't seen Wayii on a 3D forum in years. I hope she's doing well.
She's had ups and downs. Overall she's doing better than she was but not as good as the last time you heard from her.