• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Just wanted to post this quickly for the benefit of DS4 users...Poser 11 Paul imported successfully into DAZ Studio 4.7. All I had to do was point to the files in my Poser runtime during the import process. I was under the impression that Paul wouldn't work in DS4, but here he is.

DS4 PAUL P11.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Seliah, I thought you'd be interested in that info :) I found it out when I was just satisfying my own curiosity...and it was getting late, so I just posted as much as I knew up to that point, and like you, will be experimenting today with how far it can be pushed. When I experimented with it the first time, I was testing the good shepherd pose that I was creating for Paul, and upon import, the left arm went a little strange at the elbow, like it had an extra joint or something. So with the second experiment, I just brought Paul in at a zero pose, and posed him within DS4. That was successful, and I rendered it out and posted it here. What I want to try next is the "starter poses" that I created which included Paul...I want to see if those poses will import, and if not, if I re-create them in DS4, will they save and apply properly to Paul. Then the next hurdle to jump would be will any of his clothing work in DS4. I've not tried Pauline, but I would imagine the same would be true for her. I think this is significant info for cross-platforming Poser to DS4, so I will pursue this today. Maybe between the two of us, we can find out if there are any boundaries to this, or if the boundaries have been more imagined that real in the past. Let me know if you learn anything during your testing :)

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, test 1 is the sit pose....the Poser pose applied properly, but there's a problem with the left side of the face. It could be the beard so I'll try it next without the beard. The first problem was with the left arm, so this may be another issue like Dusk's foot affecting his fingers...haha. Back to testing.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, Paul has problems on the left side of the face when Poser poses are applied. Now I'll try creating the poses in DS4, saving them, and seeing if they will apply.

paul sit test2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
This time I imported the Paul zero pose scene, with hair and clothing, and created and saved the pose within DS4, then shut down DS4, restarted it, loaded the zero scene and applied the new DS4 pose...and as you can see, it was successful, with no distortion. So, there's something wonky in the Poser pose code that DS4 can't process....and any poses created for Paul to be used in DS4 have to be created in DS4.

PAUL SIT DS4 POST TEST.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
That was relatively simple to test, and thought I'd share the results with you Seliah in case it saves time on your end. Next question is of course how far it can be pushed with clothing.

Going offline now for breakfast...so catch you later. Have a good day everyone :)

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning Terre :) Waiting for breakfast to be ready, so thought I'd come on for a few minutes. Lately we've been missing each other.

I'm wondering now, after testing Paul, if there are other Poser figures that will work, like James, Simon, Tyler, Roxie and Rex...so I'll try to take time this week to try them all to see what happens.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay, test 1 is the sit pose....the Poser pose applied properly, but there's a problem with the left side of the face. It could be the beard so I'll try it next without the beard. The first problem was with the left arm, so this may be another issue like Dusk's foot affecting his fingers...haha. Back to testing.

Sky, the weight mapping is different between Poser and DS also. That's why I never even thought to try Paul or Pauline in Studio. I didn't think either one of them would even function because of the differences in DS weight maps vs. Poser weight maps. So I'm not the slightest bit surprised that there are some oddities in regards to posing/moving them...

Still. It means there's some possibilities. :)

I'm working on a tut for Sanbie's site at the moment, and trying to figure out what to do for the last promo image for Nataani. But I'll play around with it after those things are done...

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah :) I figured you have some knowledge of the code side of things. I'll continue testing the various Poser figures and post the results. Maybe if you can take a look at some of the clothing, we'd know if there was any way possible to import Poser scenes at least in zero pose with the clothing applied. I just used shorts on Paul to keep things simple, and enable me to see his body clearly for signs of distortion. And since you've had experience with DS dynamics with DynCreator, perhaps there would be a way to use some of the stuff that Maja is creating by OBJ import. Will be interesting to see the results.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I figured you have some knowledge of the code side of things.

It isn't so much an understanding of code, but an understanding that weight maps - which are part of what controls how a figure moves and follows those movements - are different between the two programs. I don't know what the differences are exactly. I just know that they are different, and this is why sometimes a Poser weight mapped figure explodes/rips/distorts inside of DS when posed, and vice versa. Weight maps affect the joints/bending of a figure as well as it's conforming clothing, if I understand it correctly. (And I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

Maybe if you can take a look at some of the clothing, we'd know if there was any way possible to import Poser scenes at least in zero pose with the clothing applied.

I'll get to checking out possible DS-usability of the figures once these two tasks are done. Work first, then play. :D I would not expect the conforming clothes to work very well on bending for the reasons mentioned above.

And since you've had experience with DS dynamics with DynCreator, perhaps there would be a way to use some of the stuff that Maja is creating by OBJ import.

Oh, believe me. LOL Maja's Poser dynamics will work just FINE in DS, once they're run through the script. ;) The question will be whether or not we can get Paul and Pauline bending nicely inside of DS. I would very much love it if we can. But I'll have to wait and see on that for after I've got the tutorial and Nataani's last Poser promo render done.

I will be interested to see how much of them can cross the program barrier as well.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Interesting experiments you've been doing Sky. I wonder if a lot of the reason these figures have been considered incompatible with DS is just because you have to have bought Poser anyway to get them? So if you prefer DS and you aren't a content creator, you don't really have much reason to invest in Poser.

And Seliah is explanation about weight maps is correct, although conforming clothing needs its own set of weight maps it's usually based on the figures, but usually can't be identical.

skylab

Esteemed
Good morning GG :) We welcome your comments, to puzzle out the "whys" for certain things. So far DS is just rejecting poses created in Poser. I'm sure Seliah will get down to business with the clothing and that will prove whether it will have practical use.