• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Seliah...you know that you can close down things that you feel are in your way, and re-open them by clicking on Window and selecting the item you want restored...

CAP.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Terre...thanks for the link...there's some funny stuff on that page...I like the chicken pot pie...haha...and the cat thumbing through his military strategy book :)

Terre

Renowned
Terre...thanks for the link...there's some funny stuff on that page...I like the chicken pot pie...haha...and the cat thumbing through his military strategy book :)
Being funny is the whole point of the Stupid Threads. The name of the current incarnation is what it is because Jaderail founded the thread and this is the first one since he passed on and can't contribute directly to the silliness.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Thanks for that input GG...so the obj robe can be tailored a little by running a dummy sim so to speak...now by saving as a prop, do you mean export the obj? I thought that robe might be a good possibility because it's not tightly fitted at the top...so if you get past the one shoulder that's covered, you're home free with it :)

GG, sounds like you have the curiosity and potential to pursue this stuff too...haha :)

I may not be using the right terminology, I just mean adding it to the prop part of the library on the frame you like. As for curiosity, I chalk it up to growing up in the theatre. We find very strange ways to make very strange things in the real world, so doing it in a virtual world is second nature.

So, our homework assignment (haha) is to clothify something totally strange this week for the next show and tell :) One question though...part of the process of running a sim is a pose, right? So if you're clothify something like an object, which I realize a garment is an object, but in this case it's not fitting to a body....so frame 15 you have to place the object at its target position, its destination, fiddle with the settings and run the sim?

Well I actually logged in while I'm waiting for a cloth sim to run on a piece of rope that I'm trying to turn into a noodle hanging off a kitten's ear. I'll put up a couple screen shots when the simulation is done on this pass (though I suspect it will still need some tweaking after this current pass).

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Okay, so this is pretty messy, and I just realized there is cane prop in the Poser primitives that will probably work better for what I want but anyway. . . Oh, and I ran a cloth sim with some dropping on the table cloth, forgot I was on frame 30, added and posed and scaled a bunch of stuff and then realized that in frame one pretty much everything was just stuck in the middle of the scene.

All that being said, what's cool is that thing that kind of looks like a pile of poop on the kitty's ear is a coiled rope prop. And here it is in frame 30 . . .

It's neat how it uncoiled, but that wasn't what I'm going for, so I'm going to try the cane instead.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Hey Seliah...you know that you can close down things that you feel are in your way, and re-open them by clicking on Window and selecting the item you want restored...

Yanno... I do know that, Sky... but I hadn't thought to try it. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I just really don't care for the Poser interface at all... it just irks me no end. But I'm glad that this version actually seems to be stable, unlike every other version from 5 on up ever was for me. LOL

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yanno... I do know that, Sky... but I hadn't thought to try it. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I just really don't care for the Poser interface at all... it just irks me no end. But I'm glad that this version actually seems to be stable, unlike every other version from 5 on up ever was for me. LOL

You can also use the UI dots to make quick links to different setups. I use them to 'hide' and show the library as I need it which leaves me most of the screen for whatever I'm working on. But I do get a UI just not feeling right. Daz is like that for me :geek:

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yup, I do remember that about the UI dots.

Yes, I think I can work with this well enough for content creation. It probably will never be more than a utility software for me, but I'm just glad to have a stable copy of the software that actually does what it's supposed to do.

Question - do you know of any good light rigs to use for doing materials work? If it were DS, I would just set up my own in about half a minute... but Poser lighting has NEVER made sense to me, even way back on versions 4 and 5... so I'm looking for a decent light rig that I can use for material work...

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Yup, I do remember that about the UI dots.

Yes, I think I can work with this well enough for content creation. It probably will never be more than a utility software for me, but I'm just glad to have a stable copy of the software that actually does what it's supposed to do.

Question - do you know of any good light rigs to use for doing materials work? If it were DS, I would just set up my own in about half a minute... but Poser lighting has NEVER made sense to me, even way back on versions 4 and 5... so I'm looking for a decent light rig that I can use for material work...

I'm not all that good at lighting. Most of the time I just start with the default lights. In fact I never like my indoor lighting, and most of the time when I do outdoor lighting I start with the Sun from TerraDome 2 and adjust it's position.

That being said the default lights are better than they were in previous versions of Poser. Although once you start playing around with SuperFly materials it can make more of a difference because reflections are very reflective in SuperFly.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
TD2... of course! Duh me. Thanks! LOL

Although once you start playing around with SuperFly materials it can make more of a difference because reflections are very reflective in SuperFly.

Yeeeeah. That... will be a while. LOL. I have no plans to touch Superfly until I have a better grasp on the software itself first. But I will definitely remember that note about reflections. ;)

skylab

Esteemed
Hey everyone...if anyone is still online. Seliah, I had the same feeling of avoid Superfly until later, and one day it just struck me to try it. I'd heard so much about how long it would take to render. However, I did not find that to be true, and I certainly don't have a super computer. It's just good to stick with a simple scene at first. That's why I did the Andy poses...he's simple to re-mat and test.

skylab

Esteemed
And GG, looks like you were busy while I was napping...way ahead of me with the noodled kitty :) I'll try to catch up by tomorrow...haha :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I haven't played with Superfly as yet, though I have done a couple of renders with Cycles in Blender, and though they took a bit longer than a normal render, they weren't outrageous in length of time.

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B :) I found out sorta by accident. I hit render on something and walked away to tend my cooking, turned around and realized the render was progressing differently than I'd ever seen...in "squares" across the screen. It was already half done, so I let it finish, and was amazed at the results. That's what got me started playing around with it...it does a beautiful job on glass, metals, things like that...and I bet it would do a great job on still life...I've just not spent a great deal of time on it yet.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
So, our homework assignment (haha) is to clothify something totally strange this week for the next show and tell :) One question though...part of the process of running a sim is a pose, right? So if you're clothify something like an object, which I realize a garment is an object, but in this case it's not fitting to a body....so frame 15 you have to place the object at its target position, its destination, fiddle with the settings and run the sim?
OK, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question correctly, but I "think" you're saying you need to pose the piece of clothing (the object) you want to clothify, so you have to place object in the "pose" you want it in frame 15.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that's not what I do. When I load a prop clothing to sim, I "parent" it to the character who's going to wear it, and then pose the character the way I want. So, for instance, if I want to do a sim of 30 frames, I parent the clothing to Dawn, Dusk, V4, M4, whomever, and make sure the character is in the default T-Pose in frame 1. then I go to the last (or near the last) frame I'm going to use for the sim, and set the character to the pose I want to use.

Then when you run the sim, everything will/should start with frame 1, and fall into place by the end of the sim. I have set the final pose a few times in frame 25 for a 30 frame sim if say it's a long dress that needs that little extra time to settle fully.

skylab

Esteemed
Yeah, that's the process for clothing, but if you read back a few pages in the thread, Terre had given an example of the sim clothify process being used to, for example, deflate a human model, like letting the air out of a balloon...and then my question to that would be...if you were choosing to deflate something...then have it travel a path similar to what a balloon would take, flying around before it finally lands....my question was does the obj have to be placed in its final destination at frame 15, or should it take all 30 frames to make the trip. We're talking about thinking outside the box and using the cloth room for more than it was intended, as an animation special effects tool. The conversation commenced around page 108 and progressed to be about more than hair or cloth. So that's why GG was working with a noodle in her example :)