• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
Loosing my feeble mind. Sorry for the double image.

To answer your question about the curls. No. You can make your own though. Seems I might have to put a few minutes into making curls. 10 seconds or less in the Hair Room isn't enough time to do a good demo.
Lost the image again. I need to get a better handle on the forum software here before I post images.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

skylab

Esteemed
Hey Miss B, there's a way around that. Right before you do a new version install, copy the whole entire old version DS program folder to an external drive, or somewhere to protect it....run your upgraded installation of DS, then after everything is settled down, copy your old DS back onto your drive. Usually I make the new installation be renamed with the specific version, like in my case 4.7....then I was able to put 4.6 back on the drive, since it was the last version that played nice with Poser stuff in the content library. That's how I also have DS 3 and DS 1.4 on the same drive as well, they are "copied over" from an external drive, salvaged from previous installations :)

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
There must be some type of time limit on image attachments here. Maybe to stop spammers or something. I do this stuff live and hair calcs\renders are done before I finish typing so I attach as I go.

skylab

Esteemed
I do know there's a delay time on posting a message...sometimes it will say wait a few seconds...if I get into a rapid conversation with someone :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That's how I also have DS 3 and DS 1.4 on the same drive as well, they are "copied over" from an external drive, salvaged from previous installations :)
I assume you mean DS 3 and DS 4.1 on the same drive. I had DS 4.1 at one point, while it was in beta, but I also had my DS 4.0 Pro on the same laptop, and DS 4.1 messed with my DS 4.0, so I had to uninstall it.

skylab

Esteemed
And I think it was an image that was used to take the entire forum down last year, so there's probably added security with that, I'm sure.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
So PDG, that method won't work well with Historical Curls...

Nope. The Hair Room is for making and or animating dynamic hair only. Pauline and all the other SM figures come with a skull cap that you can grow your own curls upon. I have released skull caps for most every other figure I own in various threads. That includes Gen 1 and Gen2 if one is using those figures in Poser. I don't save anything. I release it into the wild and don't keep copies. I do this stuff so fast that I just do it from scratch whenever I need it.

skylab

Esteemed
No, believe it or not, I mean old vintage DS 1.4....here's a screen cap of my DS corner on my desktop :)

ds icons.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Maybe we're not connecting in thoughts PDG....I'm wondering if a dynamic sim can be run on Historical Curls...so I think I phrased the question incorrectly...sorry :unsure:

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
No you phrased the question correctly. That hair is not dynamic. You cannot run a sim on it. At least that is what I deduce from the advertisement. I do not own the product. You would have to grow your own curls on a skull cap or on the figure itself. It really is easy. Poser dynamic hair can grow on anything but not everything is dynamic on it's own. Exactly like the dynamic cloth you are exploring now.

There is no skull cap in this image. The hair is grown on the figure.

Untitled-1.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Yes, I used to do the Poser hair right on the characters when I was doing comedy toons with the Nursoda characters...examples...haha.

ALFRED E. NEUMHEIN
alfred newmhein.jpg

ARCHIE BUNKHEIN
archie bunkhein.jpg

KON BAD HAIR DAY
bad hair day.jpg

ELVIS PRESLHEIN
elvis preslhen.jpg

HEIN BAD HAIR DAY
hein bad hair day.jpg

JIMI HEINDRIX
jimi heindrix.jpg

ROCKHEIN
rockhein.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, so that hair is not dynamic, so not a candidate for a sim...gotcha. I know there was some question about it when we were discussing robes the first time, and we sort of put that aside for later. It came up because, if you remember, the hair was colliding with the robe, causing spiking at the back of the neck...so you suggested unchecking it in the collide against box, as well as the dynamic hair on the rock that was used for to be like grass, and the robe started behaving properly.

skylab

Esteemed
Thanks for that link Seliah...I get it now...I was thinking, having read halfway down the page, it would be like waving a flag...and sure enough, the example at the bottom is just that. That could make some interesting effects...I noticed they mentioned the option to pass through...that's got my interest up.

Terre

Renowned
Sky, one thing you could try with that hair is take it into the cloth room and clothify it. You might be able to get a sim you like that way.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, so you can clothify other things, other than cloth...I guess that was my question, being as that lady had a freebie hair that was using sim settings. You know me...I'll think WAY OUTSIDE the box, once I get the hang of something...haha.