• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

SKYLAB CHAT

skylab

Esteemed
Historical curls is great looking, no doubt....there are times though when it would nice to have a little more control of it. It works well for the crucifixion...there's actually a crown of thorns that comes with it...but in scenes where there's clothing, or collars...there needs to be a little more control.

skylab

Esteemed
Ahhhh...so my suspicions were correct :sneaky: Okay, I'll be doing some playing with that...not just hair, but whatever.

skylab

Esteemed
Another question for dynamics experts...I really like this particular robe, to be something like a robe for Pilate's wife...it was created for Antonia...can it be simmed for V4, or Dawn? Just a question for whenever someone has time :)

Terre

Renowned
Ahhhh...so my suspicions were correct :sneaky: Okay, I'll be doing some playing with that...not just hair, but whatever.
When Jim says ANYTHING he means exactly that.
Over in the Daz forums fool (originally Wendylovescats) has a simple animation she sometimes pulls out to show the power of the Cloth Room. It starts with Mike holding a bikini clad Vikie in his arms. Vikie then starts deflating. By the end of the animation he is staring down at the limp Vikie colored balloon that is draped across his arms.

skylab

Esteemed
Okay, that's exactly what I was talking about...things deflating, or flying up in the air and flying away (as in rapture?), and could it go further "outside the box" by applying a ghost mat to the body, then running the sim to make it deflate a little and take an upward path? So we are talking about applying special effects to Poser animations...hmmmm....you know, I just don't have time to be sick, I've got too much yet to do....haha.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Another question for dynamics experts...I really like this particular robe, to be something like a robe for Pilate's wife...it was created for Antonia...can it be simmed for V4, or Dawn? Just a question for whenever someone has time :)

Dynamic clothing is mostly easy to convert. The only reason that one might be tricky is because it's tight fitting near the top. But basically the cloth room is great at creating a fit. For that specific dress I would scale and position it so that the upper shoulder matches up, then it should more or less fit itself. One thing you can also do is do a 30 frame sim with no pose on the figure, just to let the cloth settle in place, then save frame 30 as a prop, or a morph, and do you actual pose simulation starting from there.

Gadget Girl

Extraordinary
Contributing Artist
Okay, that's exactly what I was talking about...things deflating, or flying up in the air and flying away (as in rapture?), and could it go further "outside the box" by applying a ghost mat to the body, then running the sim to make it deflate a little and take an upward path? So we are talking about applying special effects to Poser animations...hmmmm....you know, I just don't have time to be sick, I've got too much yet to do....haha.

If you were trying to do that to a figure (as in humanoid) it might 'deflate'. Since the skin of the figure wouldn't have anything to collide against. Although . . . there might be a way to make a Shroud of Turin with that method. I've never tried to clothify the head of figure before, so I'm not sure.

skylab

Esteemed
Interesting possibilities...that's why I never learned much about rendering skills...the "make art button" type stuff...I was always too busy pushing the envelope with stuff people were not widely doing...and I owe that in part to Sarah, the friend who was pushing on me to learn about animation.

Thanks for that input GG...so the obj robe can be tailored a little by running a dummy sim so to speak...now by saving as a prop, do you mean export the obj? I thought that robe might be a good possibility because it's not tightly fitted at the top...so if you get past the one shoulder that's covered, you're home free with it :)

GG, sounds like you have the curiosity and potential to pursue this stuff too...haha :)

Terre

Renowned
I suspect that to do just the head you would have to go into a moddler and separate it. Or clothify the whole thing and hide the parts you don't want to use.

Terre

Renowned
This feels weird. Here I've done maybe eight renders in Poser 7 and am helping folks who are MUCH more experienced than I am. I guess I really have been listening to Jim and picked up a few things over the years. LOL

skylab

Esteemed
Oh yeah Terre...you've had a front row seat, watching all this goings on for a long time...of course you've picked up stuff.

Seliah (Childe of Fyre)

Running with the wolves.
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Okay.... so, initial attempts to install this program went south and very quickly... crashed my disk entirely and I had to do a hard reset, reboot, scan and repair of my HD. Now, I'm more inclined to blame that on my bleeding, inching along and dying HD than I am the software. I know my HD is pretty much toasted here. :)

I did get it installed finally - had to uninstall and reinstall about three times before it "took" properly (*growls at her stupid misbehaving HD*), but it's finally in, and installed.

Initial impressions... yeah, I'm still very much definitely NOT crazy about the UI. It feels cramped no matter how I rearrange the elements, and I have the burning instinct to run as far as I can to get out of the cramped conditions. I detest this about Poser, it's the one thing that no matter HOW you rearrange the elements, the basics of it is.. it's CRAMPED. And I don't work well when I feel smothered.

That said! LOL.

I am impressed with the fact that it was actually able to render an image fully. This is the first time I've had an image render fully, on the first try, since basically.. version 5. No memory errors so far, either, which is good.

I see a HUGE quality difference between what I can put out with DS and what I can put out with Poser, and I'll chalk that up to "the she wolf and Poser do NOT get along," LOL, or in other words.. USER ERRORS! :D

In all seriousness, though.... this does seem to be working a bit better than P10 ever did, so I think the difference between a 32-bit and 64-bit program here is making a huge difference. No crashes on my graphic drivers, no crashes of my OS etc (not counting the installation process which I also blame on my crappy HD).

Basically... so far, so good... and now if I can just get past my inclination to run screaming for the hills at the smothered and cramped UI, I might actually get Nataani FINISHED.

I'm not sure how I'll be getting promo renders for him, because I can't put out anything even remotely resembling my usual quality, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Just a quickie play... my M4 Sani and Midnight's war eagle which just seemed to pair up nicely with Sani for some reason... and yes, I know this image quality is garbage for me... lights suck, textures suck, shadows refused to do anything much except obscure the image no matter what I did, but it was literally just a quick play in Firefly. So not going anywhere near Superfly until I have a WAY better grasp of the software.

upload_2016-3-29_17-40-23.png

Now, if I can just figure out the dang material room properly, a Poser Nataani just might see the light of day sometime this century.... LOL

So there you go, Sky. You're stumbling around in DS, and I'm stumbling around in Poser again. At least now I can stumble around without suddenly staring at my desktop every other try. :p

skylab

Esteemed
So, our homework assignment (haha) is to clothify something totally strange this week for the next show and tell :) One question though...part of the process of running a sim is a pose, right? So if you're clothify something like an object, which I realize a garment is an object, but in this case it's not fitting to a body....so frame 15 you have to place the object at its target position, its destination, fiddle with the settings and run the sim?