Show Us Your HiveWire House Cat Renders Here!

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by Chris, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Some of those images are just too funny for words. :D

2. NapalmArsenal

NapalmArsenal Dances with Bees Contributing Artist

Awesome Images @phdubrov
    This is what I find amazing!! RLOF!! the fact that they know they can fit and it's comfortable?!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    RAMWolff and Dan30 like this.
  3. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Speaking of fishbowls, until the dog arrives, my naughty kitty decided to go fishing!:laugh:

When the Master is not home....:roflmao:

upload_2017-1-29_21-40-19.jpeg

4. Lyne

Lyne Dances with Bees HW Honey Bear

@Dan30 that is very clever and very very well done!

5. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you Lyne. Any news about the dog and the other animals on the waiting list? It's been a while...

6. Rae134

Rae134 Renowned CV-BEE Contributing Artist

I love that Dan30!

I don't know about the other animals, but I think the kitten will be with us next and hopefully shortly.
    CWRW is working on some neat textures for the cougar and cub so hopefully they are not too far away either! :)

Pendraia likes this.
  7. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thanks a lot and for the heads up too, Rae. I am really looking forward to them!

Rae134 likes this.
  8. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

Loving the render Dan, though I'm wondering if that's a worm or a pretzel Kitty's got dangling off the end of the fishing line. ;)

9. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Oh,...It's a leftover pretzel from kitty's last meal...in the shape of the worm!:roflmao:
    Kitty's really bored without a companion!:laugh:

10. Pendraia

Pendraia Seasoned Contributing Artist

Love it Dan30...that cat has so much expression on it's face!

11. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Thank you so much for everyone's kind appreciation. I had a lot of fun making it.:thankyou:

Pendraia likes this.
  12. CWRW

CWRW Extraordinary HW3D Exclusive Artist

Ha ha!!! Love it, Dan!!!

Dan30 likes this.
  13. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

This is awesome. Great render, but equally creative. Can we highlight this image of yours in tomorrows newsletter?

14. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Chris, thank you so much for appreciating my renders. I would ask you to wait a little longer since I am preparing an even better render of it with atmospherics, volumetric light, dust in the air and caustics . I am working on it as I type,:laugh:, and I would like you to post the best possible one if you agree. Maybe it will be ready in about two hours and I will post it again in this thread as well as in my media album. And congratulations for the upcoming kitten!:applause:

Pendraia, Rae134 and Chris like this.
  15. Chris

Awesome Dan30. Will do. Kitten is soooo close to release now. Cougar will be ready for beta in just a matter of days now too. Then back to Dusk S.E. Virtual World's maps for Dusk S.E. are stellar!!

Pendraia, Rae134 and Gadget Girl like this.
  16. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

Sooooo.... I thought I might improve on my original render, amending a few things I didn't quite feel pleased with. First, I displaced the water surface in the bowl and added a small splash and some air bubbles which add a bit to the dynamics of the hook being dropped into the water, I think. Then I changed a little the shape and the position of the worm on the hook so it no longer looks like a pretzel. As far as lighting went, originally I illuminated the scene with just one indoor HDRI image. While overall was OK, upon further evaluation I found it to be a bit too flat for my taste. Looking at the cat, and comparing it to the fish bowl, it strikes me as a cardboard cutout placed behind it. It lacks volume. And overall, the image looks too clean and speck-less.
    This is not how things are in real life. So I decided to also add a spotlight to increase the volume and emphasis of the foreground characters and the depth of the whole image. The added atmospheric volume and dust and the caustics cast by the liquid onto the table contributes in my opinion to an increased realism which makes it a better image than the previous one. But again, this may be a matter of personal taste. So Chris, please feel free to pick whichever one you think better suits the purpose .
    As you can imagine, the render took longer than expected. Sorry for the delay. Here it is:

When the Master's not around...
    upload_2017-1-31_3-31-31.jpeg

17. Zaarin

Zaarin Brilliant Contributing Artist

@Dan30 I actually think the first looks better. Unless the fishbowl is being seriously rocked, water in a fishbowl isn't going to be that choppy, and the volumetrics make the image look like an old photo that's been colorized rather than a color image. The water itself, however, definitely looks better with the caustics in the second image. But that's just my opinion. :)

18. Chris

They're both great. Thanks so much Dan30. Excellent skill at work on both.

Dan30 likes this.
  19. Dan30

Dan30 Adventurous

@Zaarin, I really appreciate your comments and constructive input and I encourage everybody to do the same. This is one of the main ways we get to be better at what we do, provided of course, one listens carefully.:thankyou:

20. Freyfaxi

Freyfaxi Adventurous

I just had to show my appreciation for the beautiful kitten :)

Kitten surprise 2 copy.jpg

mininessie, Carey, Zaarin and 9 others like this.