• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your HiveWire House Cat Renders Here!

Dan30

Adventurous
Speaking of fishbowls, until the dog arrives, my naughty kitty decided to go fishing!:laugh:

When the Master is not home....:roflmao:

upload_2017-1-29_21-40-19.jpeg

Dan30

Adventurous
Thank you Lyne. Any news about the dog and the other animals on the waiting list? It's been a while...

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I love that Dan30!

I don't know about the other animals, but I think the kitten will be with us next and hopefully shortly.
CWRW is working on some neat textures for the cougar and cub so hopefully they are not too far away either! :)

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Loving the render Dan, though I'm wondering if that's a worm or a pretzel Kitty's got dangling off the end of the fishing line. ;)

Dan30

Adventurous
Oh,...It's a leftover pretzel from kitty's last meal...in the shape of the worm!:roflmao:
Kitty's really bored without a companion!:laugh:

Dan30

Adventurous
Chris, thank you so much for appreciating my renders. I would ask you to wait a little longer since I am preparing an even better render of it with atmospherics, volumetric light, dust in the air and caustics . I am working on it as I type,:laugh:, and I would like you to post the best possible one if you agree. Maybe it will be ready in about two hours and I will post it again in this thread as well as in my media album. And congratulations for the upcoming kitten!:applause:

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Awesome Dan30. Will do. Kitten is soooo close to release now. Cougar will be ready for beta in just a matter of days now too. Then back to Dusk S.E. Virtual World's maps for Dusk S.E. are stellar!!

Dan30

Adventurous
Sooooo.... I thought I might improve on my original render, amending a few things I didn't quite feel pleased with. First, I displaced the water surface in the bowl and added a small splash and some air bubbles which add a bit to the dynamics of the hook being dropped into the water, I think. Then I changed a little the shape and the position of the worm on the hook so it no longer looks like a pretzel. As far as lighting went, originally I illuminated the scene with just one indoor HDRI image. While overall was OK, upon further evaluation I found it to be a bit too flat for my taste. Looking at the cat, and comparing it to the fish bowl, it strikes me as a cardboard cutout placed behind it. It lacks volume. And overall, the image looks too clean and speck-less.
This is not how things are in real life. So I decided to also add a spotlight to increase the volume and emphasis of the foreground characters and the depth of the whole image. The added atmospheric volume and dust and the caustics cast by the liquid onto the table contributes in my opinion to an increased realism which makes it a better image than the previous one. But again, this may be a matter of personal taste. So Chris, please feel free to pick whichever one you think better suits the purpose .
As you can imagine, the render took longer than expected. Sorry for the delay. Here it is:

When the Master's not around...
upload_2017-1-31_3-31-31.jpeg

Zaarin

Brilliant
@Dan30 I actually think the first looks better. Unless the fishbowl is being seriously rocked, water in a fishbowl isn't going to be that choppy, and the volumetrics make the image look like an old photo that's been colorized rather than a color image. The water itself, however, definitely looks better with the caustics in the second image. But that's just my opinion. :)