• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your HiveWire Big Cat Renders Here!

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Nice. I'd have done the torus and architectural elements in a stone texture, so the bees would stand out more. The orange is also a bit harsh. I'd have shifted it to a more yellow orange and either lightened or greyed it slightly. Maybe both.

Lunamarie: That's fabulous. Belongs on a greeting card.

skylab

Esteemed
Agree for a still render, absolutely...I disliked it as I was doing it...but was following the general simple theme of the MGM logo. Perhaps would be best to abandon that, but would, in the end, be less recognizable. Also, with video, it's best to keep the colors limited, or else the file size on animations of this dimension will easily go over a meg, even on an optimized .gif ...so it comes down to an uncomfortable choice of compromise. That's why most of my animation work appears unfinished, or void of backgrounds...details and colors tip the scale toward being bandwidth heavy, and attempting to reduce it to 127, or especially 63 colors does some strange stuff to the appearance of multi-color projects...the end result being like pictures appeared on vintage computers back in the early '90's...for those who remember what that was like :)

I'm yet pondering how to go about doing the lettering on the sides...a still render would be fairly easy with text following a path, post work...but a 24 frame animation is more of a challenge.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
My goodness. Don't dip in this thread for a few days, and there's scads of new and wondermous imagery!!

Wow, congrats to you all. Would like to share some of this work in upcoming newsletters and Facebook posts.

Sweet stuff.

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
Oh, and here is my contribution to HiveWire Lion imagery. Last night I got an urge for pancakes. So I made a few, and then got fancy. This one is a tribute, or in celebration to our Lions.

HiveWireLionSmall2.jpg

skylab

Esteemed
Hey, I like that "lion pancake"...haha. I always go for the unique :)

And, you're free to use anything that's worth posting. I've been mostly playing though, and I'm still pondering the best way to do the lion logo animation. I've got a super slow computer...and now my internet connection is slowing up this afternoon, so I may not get any more done today :/

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
skylab, that is awesome!!! So good. Very fun for me to come back in here and see this.

Well done. Thanks for the laughs.

Janet

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
How did you do that Chris? Drizzle the batter with the lion design then fill the rest in?

Chris

HW3D President
Staff member
Co-Founder
How did you do that Chris? Drizzle the batter with the lion design then fill the rest in?

I used 3 squeeze bottles. Mixed the batter very thin with a hand mixer to get all lumps out. Added chocolate milk powder to add darker tones. Used a Dark, mid tone, and then the regular batter for the light tone. I would start each one squeezing out the darkest tone first on a cool pan (this gave me time to work), then I'd take it to the stove top, and add in the light (regular) next, and fill the rest with the mid tone.

Lots of fun. Hope you try it.

I posted a few others on my facebook page here: Christopher Howard Creek

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
What about a nice wood shader? Would that up your file size?

At second glance, with a nice black hat and the orange of the circle, he is going to make the perfect Halloween lion!

Agree for a still render, absolutely...I disliked it as I was doing it...but was following the general simple theme of the MGM logo. Perhaps would be best to abandon that, but would, in the end, be less recognizable. Also, with video, it's best to keep the colors limited, or else the file size on animations of this dimension will easily go over a meg, even on an optimized .gif ...so it comes down to an uncomfortable choice of compromise. That's why most of my animation work appears unfinished, or void of backgrounds...details and colors tip the scale toward being bandwidth heavy, and attempting to reduce it to 127, or especially 63 colors does some strange stuff to the appearance of multi-color projects...the end result being like pictures appeared on vintage computers back in the early '90's...for those who remember what that was like :)

I'm yet pondering how to go about doing the lettering on the sides...a still render would be fairly easy with text following a path, post work...but a 24 frame animation is more of a challenge.

Last edited:

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
That talking ion pancake just made my day! !

So much sweet awesomeness in this thread. I really love coming here to see all of our different styles and ideas focused on one amazing model.

And if you were asking our permission, you can always use anything of mine.

skylab

Esteemed
Desertsilver...right now it appears it will be either a stone or wood shader...I'm exploring what I have that might work, and sometimes ideas come more quickly if I do something else awhile...so the idea is simmering on the back burner :)