Show Us Your HiveWire Big Cat Renders Here!

Discussion in 'It's About the Art!' started by Chris, Aug 4, 2016.

1. JOdel

JOdel Extraordinary HW Honey Bear

Nice. I'd have done the torus and architectural elements in a stone texture, so the bees would stand out more. The orange is also a bit harsh. I'd have shifted it to a more yellow orange and either lightened or greyed it slightly. Maybe both.

Lunamarie: That's fabulous. Belongs on a greeting card.

2. skylab

skylab Distinguished

Agree for a still render, absolutely...I disliked it as I was doing it...but was following the general simple theme of the MGM logo. Perhaps would be best to abandon that, but would, in the end, be less recognizable. Also, with video, it's best to keep the colors limited, or else the file size on animations of this dimension will easily go over a meg, even on an optimized .gif ...so it comes down to an uncomfortable choice of compromise. That's why most of my animation work appears unfinished, or void of backgrounds...details and colors tip the scale toward being bandwidth heavy, and attempting to reduce it to 127, or especially 63 colors does some strange stuff to the appearance of multi-color projects...the end result being like pictures appeared on vintage computers back in the early '90's...for those who remember what that was like :)

I'm yet pondering how to go about doing the lettering on the sides...a still render would be fairly easy with text following a path, post work...but a 24 frame animation is more of a challenge.

Dakorillon (IMArts) likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris HW3D President Staff Member Co-Founder

My goodness. Don't dip in this thread for a few days, and there's scads of new and wondermous imagery!!

Wow, congrats to you all. Would like to share some of this work in upcoming newsletters and Facebook posts.

Sweet stuff.

4. Chris

Oh, and here is my contribution to HiveWire Lion imagery. Last night I got an urge for pancakes. So I made a few, and then got fancy. This one is a tribute, or in celebration to our Lions.

HiveWireLionSmall2.jpg

5. Miss B

Miss B Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time CV-BEE

I love it Chris!!! Only you could come up with something like this. :D

Desertsilver and Chris like this.
  6. Miss B

Feel free to post mine if you wish. ;)

Chris likes this.
  7. skylab

skylab Distinguished

Hey, I like that "lion pancake"...haha. I always go for the unique :)

And, you're free to use anything that's worth posting. I've been mostly playing though, and I'm still pondering the best way to do the lion logo animation. I've got a super slow computer...and now my internet connection is slowing up this afternoon, so I may not get any more done today :/

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Chris like this.
  8. skylab

skylab Distinguished

I couldn't resist...now the pancake is talking :)

This is a very simple six frame animation, so I could get away with more colors, but less smoothness of flow...that is, the eyes are in sync with the mouth in order to reduce the number of frames, but the timing is set differently on each frame.

Pancake-animation.gif

9. Miss B

:rofl: Chris should get a kick out of that.

10. Chris

skylab, that is awesome!!! So good. Very fun for me to come back in here and see this.

Well done. Thanks for the laughs.

11. Janet

Janet Extraordinary Contributing Artist

How did you do that Chris? Drizzle the batter with the lion design then fill the rest in?

12. Chris

I used 3 squeeze bottles. Mixed the batter very thin with a hand mixer to get all lumps out. Added chocolate milk powder to add darker tones. Used a Dark, mid tone, and then the regular batter for the light tone. I would start each one squeezing out the darkest tone first on a cool pan (this gave me time to work), then I'd take it to the stove top, and add in the light (regular) next, and fill the rest with the mid tone.

Lots of fun. Hope you try it.

I posted a few others on my facebook page here: Christopher Howard Creek

Dakorillon (IMArts) and Janet like this.
  13. Janet

The most I ever did with pancakes was make Mickey Mouse ears. Will keep this in mind. Thank you!

14. Janet

I read somewhere a long time ago that animals recognize babies and children of other species and won't attack them. Which is not true. Still the idea stuck with me.

HiveWire Lion, HiveWire Luna, background from Renderosity.

lionbaby.png

15. skylab

skylab Distinguished

Cowardly Lion :)

THE-COWARDLY-LION.jpg

16. Me195

Me195 Extraordinary

Thank you very much.

17. mininessie

mininessie Dances with Bees Contributing Artist

you all are doing amazing renders with the new Lion!

Me195 likes this.
  18. Desertsilver

Desertsilver Engaged

What about a nice wood shader? Would that up your file size?

At second glance, with a nice black hat and the orange of the circle, he is going to make the perfect Halloween lion!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  19. Desertsilver

Desertsilver Engaged

That talking ion pancake just made my day! !

So much sweet awesomeness in this thread. I really love coming here to see all of our different styles and ideas focused on one amazing model.

And if you were asking our permission, you can always use anything of mine.

20. skylab

skylab Distinguished

Desertsilver...right now it appears it will be either a stone or wood shader...I'm exploring what I have that might work, and sometimes ideas come more quickly if I do something else awhile...so the idea is simmering on the back burner :)