• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I have learned a new trick from Nerd3D's Poser animation webinar. I knew I could use the Bullet engine to animate hair, but I didn't know I could do that indirectly by using a constrained collider cube to drive a magnet. Chuck has connected the two using the dependency editor, but I when I saw that, I was asking myself - what if I just parent the magnet to the collider? That's what I did to animate the ponytail below, and it apparently does the same thing. But of course, using the dependency editor allows controlling the range of movement, while just parenting will allow some crazy things if they want to happen.

Just like with a dynamic hair simulation, this method with the Bullet engine driving a magnet to deform the hair has something in common - neither can make the animation loop seamlessly. Dynamics are unpredictable, so the hair will go where it goes, and will not loop. I have ran the bottom of the dress as dynamic cloth, but I somehow managed to make it loop seamlessly. The way I did that was to make the sim loop 4X times and then I chose the animation section that looped the best from the bunch. This also means the simulations and rendering took 4X longer.

Never mind the jerky knee - I was just trying to use Chuck's method to animate the hair. This is cool because it gives me more control, it's easier/quicker to setup, and the Bullet engine simulation calculates MANY times faster than dynamic hair, especially when it's just with a single collider. Even if they were more, I think it would still be faster.

The bottom line is that if your animation doesn't have crazy jumps or fast turns, just parenting the mag to the Bullet collider works just as well as creating constraining ERCs with the dependency editor. The really cool thing is that the walking motion is driving the hair animation, so it gets realistic even without an actual dynamic hair sim. ^^

Figure is Dawn with Body Type-2 + Amelia face, wearing the Cheongsam dress, and the shoes are from the Laced Sundress. Rendered in Poser with Superfly (only 30 frames).

DawnWalk_30.gif

Last edited:

Hornet3d

Wise
Good work Ken and Hornet. Great to see what can be done.

You know Hornet, I think I like her as a redhead best. ;)

Thank you both for the comments, there are aspects of the hair I would change if I had the skills but I generally like the styles. I have also chosen styles that have a lot of morphs so I can vary the style to fit in a scene. As to colour, I went through quite a few as I thought she had been black haired for long enough but I felt the red hair suited her best.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I know a lot of black haired girls that go red and visa versa Hornet, I think they can have similar skin tones so it suits them if they want to mix it up. (and unlike a lot of males, if a woman wants a change then no one bats an eye :p)

Hornet3d

Wise
I know a lot of black haired girls that go red and visa versa Hornet, I think they can have similar skin tones so it suits them if they want to mix it up. (and unlike a lot of males, if a woman wants a change then no one bats an eye :p)

Thank you for that and your right about the difference between males and females but then most men seem to just go to black to cover up the grey as they grow older and often without the finesse that woman have when doing a colour change.

I was very surprised when I starting experimenting with the hair styles some looked horrid and just did not work at all while others were neither bad or great. Colour had less of an impact but even here some colours just seemed to work while others didn't. At first I put it down to the fact that after a couple of years I had some ingrained idea of what the character would wear but my wife blew that theory. She looked at the examples without any input from me and with very few exceptions she picked the same ones that I thought worked and rejected those I thought didn't.

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Well, different face shapes can wear different styles better, there are whole web pages dedicated to that on beauty/hair sites LOL (also generally older women tend to look better with shorter hair, not always the case of course, just generally speaking)

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, different face shapes can wear different styles better, there are whole web pages dedicated to that on beauty/hair sites LOL (also generally older women tend to look better with shorter hair, not always the case of course, just generally speaking)

Clearly the shape of the face has a major impact but I guess I thought it would be a little different when working with a 3D character. Thinking about it now there is not reason why it should be different but I was surprised at the extremes.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
A fantasy dragon girl using Body Type-2 and the WIP outfit I am making for Dawn. Added a bit of Narrow Shoulders. The face is Sora + Dawn's face morphs. The sword and morphing terrain are from different commission jobs I did years ago. Kitty was passing by. Rendered in Superfly.

Saki_1024.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
Having spent a lot of time on her face and hair styles I have made the last tweeks, this time to the body, all very subtle. The skin maps have been played with as there was a slight blend problem between body parts thanks to my modification of maps on the original. Very small changes to her figure for a better default fit on conforming clothes (and removal of the excited look on some thin dresses commented on in some of my earlier renders) , Ken1171 Designs Narrow shoulders morph is added and dialled in very slightly.

New Base HW.jpg

I think she is now ready to continue her adventures.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is Dawn with my "Body Type-2" and "Animal Anime Pack" ears and tail, rendered in Poser with Superfly. I originally just wanted to test this PBR chainmail texture on one of my t-shirts, and it ended up with this wild catgirl character. That's usually how my creative process goes. :p

Wildcat_1024.jpg