• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thank you for that, and the step by step process which is what I need. In one sense it is not really fair on the vendor to expect any hair to work with a Poser render engine that was not even thought of let alone in existence at the time the hair was created. On the flip side some of these styles were really good and if they can be given a second life with the little bit of extra work as you have laid out then why ever not.

Thanks again for the information my knowledge of superfly continues to grow thanks to you and the many others here at Hive that have guided me through some of the hard bits. I am very grateful for all the help.

You're welcome. I think it adds a lot to Superfly hair and you're right, of course, that the vendors shouldn't be punished for a render engine that didn't exist at all when the hair was created.

I couldn't get it right at first because I was leaving out the final step of clicking Apply Shader once back at the main menu. Once I figured out my mistake I was, and remain, thrilled with EZSkin3 hair in most instances.

Hornet3d

Wise
Just adding a hair where I used EZSkin. Pardon the grain, I stopped the render pretty early.

View attachment 37623

Thanks, that is a definite improvement on the ghostly look I was getting. Don't worry about the grian it is good enough to see the improvement and I have produced a lot of grainy renders in the last couple of weeks as I did quick renders to see what hairstyles I had that would work with my character. Often a grainy render gave enough detail to make the judgement if it was going to work or not and thus narrow down the styles I was going to play with.

Hornet3d

Wise
You're welcome. I think it adds a lot to Superfly hair and you're right, of course, that the vendors shouldn't be punished for a render engine that didn't exist at all when the hair was created.

I couldn't get it right at first because I was leaving out the final step of clicking Apply Shader once back at the main menu. Once I figured out my mistake I was, and remain, thrilled with EZSkin3 hair in most instances.

Without EZSkin3 I think I would have given up on superfly long ago but it's use gives you a very quick and easy insight to the capabilities. So many people have helped me and I am using so many scripts and shaders that people have either given to me directly or made available to the community for free. Considering the anger generated within the community at times is is really pleasing to see this community spirit is alive and well, long may it continue and my continuing thanks to all that assist the hobby in this way.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Thanks, that is a definite improvement on the ghostly look I was getting. Don't worry about the grian it is good enough to see the improvement and I have produced a lot of grainy renders in the last couple of weeks as I did quick renders to see what hairstyles I had that would work with my character. Often a grainy render gave enough detail to make the judgement if it was going to work or not and thus narrow down the styles I was going to play with.

One other tip, if you are getting "blotchy" transparency on hair, you may want to kick up your transparency bounces in the render settings. Just make sure you set max bounces equal to, or more than, the transparency bounces or the trans bounces will be ignored after the render engine hits the max bounces count.
HairRenderSettings.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
One other tip, if you are getting "blotchy" transparency on hair, you may want to kick up your transparency bounces in the render settings. Just make sure you set max bounces equal to, or more than, the transparency bounces or the trans bounces will be ignored after the render engine hits the max bounces count.
View attachment 37624

Thanks again, I have tended to concentrate on the character and shader changes and not played too much with the render settings I just used something that had worked in the past and I knew the approximate render time thus giving me some idea of the impact of any particular shader. Considering it's complexity I was surprised the Bagginsbill shader did not have a bigger impact in render time. As I move into proper renders so to speak I need to understand the render settings a lot better. Thanks for this tip I will have a play and see what setting gives me the best results and at least I have some idea of what the settings effect.

Hornet3d

Wise
Looking good Hornet.

Thanks for the guidance. I am finding the hair styles that I have collected over the years are very different, of course some styles just do not suit the character but those that do act very differently. Some work in superfly without changes, some require the EZSkin3 process that Glitterati recommended (thanks for that) and finally some really only work with the shader from Bagginsbill but for some this is long winded work as there are a lot of materials.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I like the fluffier style better too, I just liked the way the shader worked on the second hairstyle as well.