• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Stunning render, even more so because it is Superfly render. I think this is the first Superfly render I have seen of a figure with a convincing skin tones. I have seen some Superfly renders with realistic reflections and metals but the figures have always seem to be missing something, for me at least.

Thanks, Hornet. I do like Superfly, especially now that we have EZSkin. I posted a Superfly/Firefly comparison on Facebook in the Poser Creations group because I really wanted to see the difference for myself, if you're interested.

I find most of the Superfly renders to be "too much fiddling" instead of working with what we start with (Poser materials) making it far more complicated than it needs to be. While I lost a small bit of bump in the cover on the bed, and some transparency on the corset on Dawn, I feel like the Superfly render is much "richer" than Firefly. And, there was no more effort to get there than applying EZSkin3 to Dawn.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
I'm not sure, but interested in the new superfly render .... but seems like every one I see looks "grainy".... I prefer smooth shiny skin myself... and curious why superfly seems to create a grainy look? (or maybe it doesn't, is there a link to an original post that the forum wouldn't perhaps change?)

Still... great art everyone!!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I'm not sure, but interested in the new superfly render .... but seems like every one I see looks "grainy".... I prefer smooth shiny skin myself... and curious why superfly seems to create a grainy look? (or maybe it doesn't, is there a link to an original post that the forum wouldn't perhaps change?)

Still... great art everyone!!

Well, Lyne, that's because folks are posting horribly unfinished, draft renders. Yes, they are awful. Yes, it's frustrating for those of us who are trying to use Superfly to see those kinds of renders posted. It leaves a very bad, unfair image of what Superfly can do.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
LOL, Miss B, just do it!

Really, Superfly is fun to play with.
That's the problem . . . "playing" with it. I'm not good with Poser shaders, so learning how to adjust the default shader to get something nice is going to be a hair pulling experience for me.

What I really want to play with is the hair shader. Have you played with that at all?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
That's the problem . . . "playing" with it. I'm not good with Poser shaders, so learning how to adjust the default shader to get something nice is going to be a hair pulling experience for me.

What I really want to play with is the hair shader. Have you played with that at all?

Well, see, that's the thing. You really don't have to adjust the shaders. All of the materials in that render, except for Dawn's skin, are original, unchanged Poser shaders. I put a parrotdolphin P6 shader on the cover on the bed (just because I hated the texture that was on the original) and changed the curtain to a parrotdolphin shader to match. But, not because I HAD to change it, just because I wanted to change it.

I have played with the EZSkin3 hair shader and find that simply applying Poser's SSS to the hair in the material room is simpler and looks just as good. The hair in that render is Isabel hair for V4 from DAZ with Poser's SSS shader on it. (Material Room, Add Subsurface Scattering Skin button).

I really am trying to fight what appears to be the emerging myth that all the materials need to be changed to use Superfly. They do not. Can you change them? Sure. But they do NOT need to be changed to get a decent render from Superfly.

The only thing that MUST be changed is skin shaders - and EZSkin3 makes that a one button change.

Miss B

CV-BEE
That should have read "The only thing that MUST be changed is SSS skin shaders...."
Well that's the "playing" with I was referring to. What kind of changes, tweaks, can be done with EZSkin 3? Does everyone use the default settings without changing them?

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Well that's the "playing" with I was referring to. What kind of changes, tweaks, can be done with EZSkin 3? Does everyone use the default settings without changing them?

I do. In that render, I did.

I presume folks who will be selling characters/skins for Superfly will undertake additional steps, I most certainly do not and did not in that render.

All I did was Select Dawn>Body, Open EZSkin3 and click the Apply button.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, that's what I did when I was playing with EZSkin 2 and V4 in Poser 9. I may just have to play with it and see. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, Lyne, that's because folks are posting horribly unfinished, draft renders. Yes, they are awful. Yes, it's frustrating for those of us who are trying to use Superfly to see those kinds of renders posted. It leaves a very bad, unfair image of what Superfly can do.

I agree and it is not a fault with Superfly, it is a aspect of this type of render engine. I have the same problem with using Luxrender, Reality makes a good job of converting the Poser materials but you do have to let the render run for a long period to reduce the grain to an acceptable level. That is one different between this and Firefly, a Luxrender image is never really finished, you can let it run and run.

I am not sure on Superfly but a couple of advantages of Luxrender is that you can network computers to work on a single render and it can also be paused and restarted at any point in the future.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I agree and it is not a fault with Superfly, it is a aspect of this type of render engine. I have the same problem with using Luxrender, Reality makes a good job of converting the Poser materials but you do have to let the render run for a long period to reduce the grain to an acceptable level. That is one different between this and Firefly, a Luxrender image is never really finished, you can let it run and run.

I am not sure on Superfly but a couple of advantages of Luxrender is that you can network computers to work on a single render and it can also be paused and restarted at any point in the future.

Well, I have used Pose2Lux (not Reality) Octane and, now, Superfly. Of the 3 Superfly was by far the easiest to use and the least amount of "fiddling" to get a good render.

Superfly does not have a pause button. I have no idea about network rendering as I don't have a network here, so no way to even test it.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've used Blender's Cycles, and though it didn't take long, I did it 3 times, upping the samples each time. The model was a coffee mug (which I did from the same tutorial), and the inside of the mug still looked a bit grainy. Then again, the light emitter (mesh light) probably could've been moved to add some more light inside the mug, but I'm not sure that would've fixed the grainyness.

Hornet3d

Wise
Well, I have used Pose2Lux (not Reality) Octane and, now, Superfly. Of the 3 Superfly was by far the easiest to use and the least amount of "fiddling" to get a good render.

Superfly does not have a pause button. I have no idea about network rendering as I don't have a network here, so no way to even test it.

I suspected that Superfly would be fairly easy to use in comparison as it is built into Poser. It is also very early days for Superfly so it will take a while for people to get the best out of it. Most of my Poser renders are of figures as I use Vue for scenes, so the fact that Superfly can be set up so easily to give good results with figures is a real plus. I have not upgraded as yet but seeing more renders to the standard of yours will certainly help tempt me.

What I want to know is what settings are required to resolve the noise. I know it is light dependent but I have a hard time getting my superfly renders to look high quality and wonder what render settings I should be using.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Dragon, it is light dependent. But here are the render settings I used for that Dawn render. I use CPU rendering as I don't have a Nvidia graphics card.

RenderSettings.jpg