• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I've used Blender's Cycles, and though it didn't take long, I did it 3 times, upping the samples each time. The model was a coffee mug (which I did from the same tutorial), and the inside of the mug still looked a bit grainy. Then again, the light emitter (mesh light) probably could've been moved to add some more light inside the mug, but I'm not sure that would've fixed the grainyness.

I used Blender's Cycles a few times, certainly not enough to be any good at it, but I will say a few things about the differences.....

I had to set all the materials in Cycles from a Poser "Collect Scene Inventory" file. None of that is necessary with a Poser/Superfly render

Poser's Superfly needs 2 things differently than what I found in Cycles - it needs a backdrop for some light bounces and it needs more lights than Cycles. Now the backdrop can be a simple wall and floor like I used in the render I posted here or the "Construct" or a dome. But I find that the light bounces too far and too wildly to be useful in Superfly without using some mesh to bounce it off of. The render I posted uses 4 lights - 2 spots, 1 point light and 1 area light. I find this setup to work with most renders, though I do mostly human renders and not cars inside a building, etc. Be sure the point light is high and behind your subject or it is very hard to control - I use it as rim lighting and place it high above and behind my main subject.

I never had to go above 50 Pixel samples to get a clear render, free of graininess.

I guess I should have noted the render I posted is not postworked at all. That is as rendered.

Last edited:

Llola Lane

Adventurous
Hi Everyone... I'm new to the forums here. I am trying to use Dawn more in my renders. Here are a few... Hope you like them :)

Outfit texture created by me using Sanbie's outfit for Dawn... Texture challenge 41

TC41 5minute renderR DONE SIGN.jpg

See my freebie thread for links
Llola Lane's Freebies | HiveWire 3D Community

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I had to set all the materials in Cycles from a Poser "Collect Scene Inventory" file. None of that is necessary with a Poser/Superfly render

Poser's Superfly needs 2 things differently than what I found in Cycles - it needs a backdrop for some light bounces and it needs more lights than Cycles. Now the backdrop can be a simple wall and floor like I used in the render I posted here or the "Construct" or a dome. But I find that the light bounces too far and too wildly to be useful in Superfly without using some mesh to bounce it off of. The render I posted uses 4 lights - 2 spots, 1 point light and 1 area light. I find this setup to work with most renders, though I do mostly human renders and not cars inside a building, etc. Be sure the point light is high and behind your subject or it is very hard to control - I use it as rim lighting and place it high above and behind my main subject.
I haven't tried rendering any scenes I put together in Poser within Blender. Even though Blender can be used to set up full scenes for rendering, I've only rendered in Blender whatever I happen to be modeling in it, and the coffee mug didn't have a "texture" as such. I was following a 2-part tutorial. The first part was to model the mug, though I really didn't need that part, and the second part was how to setup the Cycles render, and since I'd never tried it before, I just followed the tutorial, including creating and placing the light emitter.

I have read before that SuperFly works with a dome/environment of some sort, so there's something for the light to bounce off. Even though I can set up lights easily in DS, I'm still trying to learn how to create my own lights in Poser. I'm intrigued that you used a point light as a rim light, as in DS I've always used a spotlight. I've only used point lights in DS for illuminating a candle flame or visible light bulb. I guess I'm going to have to read up on Poser point lights. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
I used Blender's Cycles a few times, certainly not enough to be any good at it, but I will say a few things about the differences.....

I never had to go above 50 Pixel samples to get a clear render, free of graininess.
I guess I should have noted the render I posted is not postworked at all. That is as rendered.

I understood that the use of Superfly would require changes in the material used but from your description it appears there are difference in the lighting set up as well. Thinking about it I guess that is also to be expected as the light is reacting as in the real world rather then faked.

A lot of my renders are render over black giving me a transparent background, if a backdrop is required it looks as this is another change when using Superfly. I am not trying to be critical, just trying to clarify as I am trying to understand the changes in working that may be required in the hope that, if I do upgrade I can hit the road running. Well maybe more walking rather the staggering about blindly.

Hornet3d

Wise
Woops got so tied up with the Superfly information I forgot my manners. Welcome to the Forum Llola, I like your Dawn renders and look forward to seeing more.

I hope you become a regular here, they are a nice bunch here so you should have fun.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I understood that the use of Superfly would require changes in the material used but from your description it appears there are difference in the lighting set up as well. Thinking about it I guess that is also to be expected as the light is reacting as in the real world rather then faked.

A lot of my renders are render over black giving me a transparent background, if a backdrop is required it looks as this is another change when using Superfly. I am not trying to be critical, just trying to clarify as I am trying to understand the changes in working that may be required in the hope that, if I do upgrade I can hit the road running. Well maybe more walking rather the staggering about blindly.

When I need a transparent background, I use the Construct that comes with P11 and just turn it off in the camera. Works to bounce the light and still give me a transparent background (now that SR2 fixed the alpha channel save errors that SR1 produced).

Llola Lane

Adventurous
Woops got so tied up with the Superfly information I forgot my manners. Welcome to the Forum Llola, I like your Dawn renders and look forward to seeing more.

I hope you become a regular here, they are a nice bunch here so you should have fun.

Hi Hornet3d.. THANK YOU for the welcome... Glad you like my renders... I think that's it so far.. I'll be working on more once I get to know everyone here. I'm a bit shy meeting new people... But once ya git to know me.... WATCH OUT!!! LOL.
(goes to see if she has any Dusk renders.. humm)

Hornet3d

Wise
When I need a transparent background, I use the Construct that comes with P11 and just turn it off in the camera. Works to bounce the light and still give me a transparent background (now that SR2 fixed the alpha channel save errors that SR1 produced).

Thanks for the tip I will note that for future reference.

Lorraine

The Wicked Witch of the North
Welcome Llola! I hope you do become a regular poster and we'll see you Amirable before long :) Love your renders and your textures. I have some of your V4 TC textures and they are great. Thank you so much for spreading the love to Dawn!