• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You're welcome Hornet. I didn't always do that, as I didn't buy a lot of his hairs, but last year I decided to pick up some, and went to his site just to see, and sure enough the price was better. Now I make that my general M.O. when I see a hair of his at Renderosity I like.

Hornet3d

Wise
You're welcome Hornet. I didn't always do that, as I didn't buy a lot of his hairs, but last year I decided to pick up some, and went to his site just to see, and sure enough the price was better. Now I make that my general M.O. when I see a hair of his at Renderosity I like.

It is certainly going to be my M.O. in the future. I do have a lot but there are a few that I did not get around to so I guess my collection of hair is going to grow in the next few weeks.

Thanks again.

Hornet3d

Wise
NOTE: the two chipmunks are in my latest freebies- see my Freebie Links thread here if your interested. :)

PS forgot to mention I used Flaming Pear's Flood filter to create water and manually did all the reflections in it!

I like the render, those reflections are very convincing and I am even more impressed that they were done manually.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
So upon getting the new rig up and running well I had a devil of a time with the DAZ Studio CMS but got it resolved finally. Then I thought I'd better do a render or two with my new, more powerful video card and ran into this older scene. I converted the entire thing to iRay and set up the "lights" on the Posing platform I made a while back, as mesh lights including the heart doohicky. It was a fun experiment and came out pretty good. The shape is an unreleased shape as of yet called Weslea. Dawn's string bikini and April's Portia Hair converted to Dawn...

Posing Station Dawn iRay.jpg

Hornet3d

Wise
So upon getting the new rig up and running well I had a devil of a time with the DAZ Studio CMS but got it resolved finally. Then I thought I'd better do a render or two with my new, more powerful video card and ran into this older scene. I converted the entire thing to iRay and set up the "lights" on the Posing platform I made a while back, as mesh lights including the heart doohicky. It was a fun experiment and came out pretty good. The shape is an unreleased shape as of yet called Weslea. Dawn's string bikini and April's Portia Hair converted to Dawn...

View attachment 21587

Looks good, it is always good to play with a new rig, you must be happy with this one if this is anything to go by.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Yes, for sure. The time it took to render was pretty fast. I must note that before I converted everything I had just converted the Posing platform. SO the skin, hair and suit were not converted and I was up to about 7 minutes, still not horrible but from what folks were telling me about this particular card I was expecting faster. Then the light dawned and I was like "duh Richard" and converted the rest. I think this was about a 2 minute render.

Hornet3d

Wise
Yes, for sure. The time it took to render was pretty fast. I must note that before I converted everything I had just converted the Posing platform. SO the skin, hair and suit were not converted and I was up to about 7 minutes, still not horrible but from what folks were telling me about this particular card I was expecting faster. Then the light dawned and I was like "duh Richard" and converted the rest. I think this was about a 2 minute render.

WOW, if you can render something like that in 2 minutes that is some rig with a massive potential.

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
@RAMWolff Indeed rendering times depend not so much on what's in the scene, but instead on what's in front of the camera. So in some cases changing camera angle can affect rendering times. Except in Octane, where it's fast no matter what. Apparently the only thing that kills Octane is when rendering caustics.

@Ken1171 where do I got to see your latest 'biker chick' in full quality?

At my DeviantArt page --> Ken1171.deviantArt.com. :)

Hornet3d

Wise
@RAMWolff Indeed rendering times depend not so much on what's in the scene, but instead on what's in front of the camera. So in some cases changing camera angle can affect rendering times. Except in Octane, where it's fast no matter what. Apparently the only thing that kills Octane is when rendering caustics.

That is worth remembering, in this case the time went from 2 minutes to over 3 minutes, more than 50% just by a change of camera angle. An extra minute may not be much but the camera angle may be very important for those of us that don't have such lightning fast rigs.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
If you notice though the camera is closer to the hair. Hair, transparency maps of any kind, will slow down a render.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Boy howdy. I've an old M3 hair (Kurt Hair -- one of AprilYSH's which was a DAZ buyout) that I settled on for the character design of one of my stock characters. In DS3 that one used to bring everything to a screeching halt. I swear it took anything up to 3 hours+ just to render that hair.

A lot of SAV's hairs take an impressively long time to render, too. Even in DA4.

Hornet3d

Wise
If you notice though the camera is closer to the hair. Hair, transparency maps of any kind, will slow down a render.

Boy howdy. I've an old M3 hair (Kurt Hair -- one of AprilYSH's which was a DAZ buyout) that I settled on for the character design of one of my stock characters. In DS3 that one used to bring everything to a screeching halt. I swear it took anything up to 3 hours+ just to render that hair.

A lot of SAV's hairs take an impressively long time to render, too. Even in DA4.

Some of the portraits I do take a long time for exactly that reason and, being a portrait they are a large part of any render. That plus the fact that my rig is a few years old now but not much chance of changing things in the near future.

Hornet3d

Wise
I do have to say though that iRay makes a bit less painful to render hair.

Being a Poser only user I don't have access iRay. I know there is Superfly but I didn't upgrade Poser this time around and I also think that Superfly is not as advanced at this point in time as iRay, there certainly seem to be more iRay shaders on sale than Superfly.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
It's def become my all time favorite rendering engine. There are still moments when I go WTF but not as much as I used to say that when dealing with 3Delight! Superfly is a nice rendering engine to be sure. I like the outcome in that better than the older "fly" rendering engine in Poser.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Spent a little time on Tommy and Tina to get them "evened" up a bit more skin wise this AM. I did notice one thing I wasn't sure about but now I love is the height difference in both of them. He's clearly a head taller than she and seems more real world in my opinion. Now with the skin in place I can mess with diffuse colors to create different skin tones for them for the final release. This iRay render was 8 1/2 minutes...

8 & Half Mins.jpg