• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Show Us Your Dawn Renders!

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
HAHAHA.. "When you wish upon a star...." probably not going to happen. They like their new toys more than they seem to like to fix stuff at times! :p

Poser OpenGL compatibility used to be showstopper until version 7, where it some cases it could even crash it altogether. Now we have real-time shader node previews, AO and soft shadows straight from previews. In this particular subject, I got spoiled being able to see things in real-time before I render. It's like going back in time when I use DS.

That's an issue in Poser as well when you're using a shader rather than a plain texture map. What you see in preview is not what you see in the final render. I often wondered why both DS and Poser do that, but it must be something to do with the extra nodes you plugin to your materials. Then again, I rarely see textures/materials that are just plain texture/uv maps attached to the Diffuse (and perhaps Specular) node(s).

That is only half-true. It depends on your video card hardware, whether it supports OpenGL 2.0 all the way, half-way, or not at all. Typically, embedded video adapters tend to only support it in software, so it won't work in real-time. Some embedded hardware don't support it at all, no matter what's written in the specification. Some dedicated video cards support it better than others, but Poser has become more tolerant in the recent versions.

I have an NVidia GTX 980 TI and it supports OpenGL all the way, meaning I can see real-time shader nodes in previews, just like they will be in renders. However, my older GTX 470 would just show them as a solid color. So we can't just say that shader nodes won't show in previews - it depends directly on what hardware you have installed, and how it "really" supports OpenGL in hardware. Note the double-quotes, because sometimes they lie about it on the specs. For example, the GTX 470 was claimed to fully support OpenGL in hardware, but in my tests it has failed in more than one level, so no surprises when Poser previews showed as solid black. What happened there was that NVidia forgot to mention that the OpenGL support was only partially implemented in hardware, where part of it was running in software mode.

One reason why OpenGL support is so flaky is because major industry applications will typically rely more on Microsoft DirectX, so hardware accelerated OpenGL is left in 2nd plane. As long as the shader nodes are not too complex, my video card can show the results in hardware accelerated OpenGL in real-time, except for shader nodes that require raytracing, which cannot be displayed without rendering.

DS only supports software-mode OpenGL previews, so it doesn't matter what video adapter you may have. It doesn't support hardware accelerated OpenGL previews.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
We do need to keep in mind that DAZ Studio is a baby compared to Poser. So perhaps in DAZ Studio 5 we will see many desired improvements including real time viewing of shaders and what not...

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
Haha I like to joke about DS5 burning bridges with everything previously sold, and come up with a whole new TriAx 2.0 that is utterly incompatible with our entire libraries. Then we would have to buy the brand new Victoria 8, which looks, poses and renders exactly like V7, except that all the clothing, textures and morphs are incompatible because of the new DUF 2.0 file format. Vendors will love that. XD

And then we wake up in the middle of the night, covered in cold sweat, screaming "nooooooooooo".

D

Deleted member 325

That is only half-true. It depends on your video card hardware, whether it supports OpenGL 2.0 all the way, half-way, or not at all. Typically, embedded video adapters tend to only support it in software, so it won't work in real-time. Some embedded hardware don't support it at all, no matter what's written in the specification. Some dedicated video cards support it better than others, but Poser has become more tolerant in the recent versions.
Yes, this is true - I have especially noted in Poser Pro 2012 and later, the Open GL preview is much more reliant even using the compatibility modes such as Sreed even on my older Celeron Workstation (Radeon 9200 SE video card, so... well it's old). Where as, even on the newer Xeon's if I load up Poser Pro (based off Poser 7) I still get weird OGL texture tiling, mis-sized textures, and white textures in previews for some things that are fully P6+ compatible content.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE

I have an NVidia GTX 980 TI and it supports OpenGL all the way, meaning I can see real-time shader nodes in previews, just like they will be in renders. However, my older GTX 470 would just show them as a solid color. So we can't just say that shader nodes won't show in previews - it depends directly on what hardware you have installed, and how it "really" supports OpenGL in hardware. Note the double-quotes, because sometimes they lie about it on the specs. For example, the GTX 470 was claimed to fully support OpenGL in hardware, but in my tests it has failed in more than one level, so no surprises when Poser previews showed as solid black. What happened there was that NVidia forgot to mention that the OpenGL support was only partially implemented in hardware, where part of it was running in software mode.

One reason why OpenGL support is so flaky is because major industry applications will typically rely more on Microsoft DirectX, so hardware accelerated OpenGL is left in 2nd plane. As long as the shader nodes are not too complex, my video card can show the results in hardware accelerated OpenGL in real-time, except for shader nodes that require raytracing, which cannot be displayed without rendering.
This is very interesting. If I'm understanding you correctly, mine probably supports it half way, because I WILL see a pattern, just not the same as the rendered pattern. IOW, I'm not just seeing a plain color in preview.

Here's a comparison of preview and render, and it looks the same in both Poser 9 and PoserPro 11.

PreviewRenderCompare.jpg

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
This is very interesting. If I'm understanding you correctly, mine probably supports it half way, because I WILL see a pattern, just not the same as the rendered pattern. IOW, I'm not just seeing a plain color in preview.

I guess it depends on the shader complexity and what it is trying to do. For example, if I scale a texture using the UV scale dials, some video cards will not show the scaled result. Mine does, but none of my beta-testers could see it without rendering.

I think she should have had black hair.

I think she looks great as she is! ^___^

Here's my 2nd take on the jungle theme with CatsEyes and kitty!

Savages_1200.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
She looks good with any color hair. In fact, I think she would look good with brown, or even dark auburn, hair.

I like the new texture AoM. Nicely done.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I guess it depends on the shader complexity and what it is trying to do. For example, if I scale a texture using the UV scale dials, some video cards will not show the scaled result. Mine does, but none of my beta-testers could see it without rendering.
True enough. That particular setup wasn't very involved. I'll have to test the scaling, and see if it changes the preview.