• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Should you charge extra for that?

eclark1894

Visionary
That's your choice to make, Earl. You are "being rewarded" by someone purchasing a product they otherwise would not have purchased. It's a Sale vs. No Sale.

1. You create for Poser only and your customers are only Poser users.
2. You create for Daz Studio, too and you expand your customer base and have a better chance of getting a return on your time investment.

Still, it's your choice to make.
You know, there's a reason I don't put many freebies up on ShareCG anymore. People are appreciative... at first. A lot of them remain so. But every now and then you have to put up with someone who just makes it all no longer worthwhile. I like modeling. But I don't think I'm cut out to be a vendor.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Hey, Earl.

You obviously get enjoyment from learning new things and creating in 3D. You have some pretty large projects in the works, which can feel overwhelming when getting everything ready for someone else to load and render.

Why not try smaller projects from start to finish and offer them as Sweet Deals here at the Hive? We have a price range of $1.95 to $4.95 and we have some guidelines as to how much or how little to include.

Focus on the appreciative people and ignore the rest. You are going to have that no matter what you do. Don't allow negative people to silence your muse. Ignore them and carry on with what you enjoy.

You've got a lot of people here supporting you, too. That's something to be grateful for.

agentunawares

Contributing Artist
Consider, if the DS version of a product sells at a certain price point, there's absolutely no reason the Poser version shouldn't be there too.

Hornet3d

Wise
You know, there's a reason I don't put many freebies up on ShareCG anymore. People are appreciative... at first. A lot of them remain so. But every now and then you have to put up with someone who just makes it all no longer worthwhile. I like modeling. But I don't think I'm cut out to be a vendor.

Sad fact of life I am afraid, my wife and I have been involved with a few clubs and we were running a car club a few years ago. No matter what you do there will always be someone to complain and when we organised outings it was always too far, too costly, not interesting enough, the list goes on. With very few exceptions the people complaining were always the ones that organised nothing. Ask the person complaining that a venue was too far away to organise something local to them, no chance. In the end you have to grow a thicker skin and do it for those who do appreciate what you do and they are usually the majority.

I have never been a vendor and never will be, I am just not skilled enough, so I try to be careful when I criticise a product. I try make sure the feedback is user focused and explains how I see their product as a customer, both positive and negative points always accepting that, just because something is an issue for me it does not mean that it is for the rest of their customers. Sometimes a get a curt reply but in the main they are thankful for the feedback and some even explain why it is the way it is.

Dylan

Eager
Sad fact of life I am afraid, my wife and I have been involved with a few clubs and we were running a car club a few years ago. No matter what you do there will always be someone to complain and when we organised outings it was always too far, too costly, not interesting enough, the list goes on. With very few exceptions the people complaining were always the ones that organised nothing. Ask the person complaining that a venue was too far away to organise something local to them, no chance. In the end you have to grow a thicker skin and do it for those who do appreciate what you do and they are usually the majority..

That is only human nature. My Dad has had Honda Goldwings forever and we always went on club runs, locally and international. The same people always complained and they did nothing to help out. The ones who did all the work and planning were too busy to complain.

Ken Gilliland

Dances with Bees
HW3D Exclusive Artist
Just out of curiosity, I'm asking a two-fold question... If you make a product for one program, like Poser, but it doesn't work in Studio, should we be allowed to charge more to make a product work in another program? and are we allowed to charge more here at Hivewire? I'm not talking about an exorbitant amount. But if I made a dining room set for Poser and then I converted everything to .duf format for so it would work in Studio, is it wrong for me to charge, say, an extra five or ten dollars for having to convert the dining room set to .duf?

I'd like to hear your opinion. Is it a good idea, or bad? Would it increase the likelihood of vendors creating products in both formats? Inquiring , but crazy, minds want to know!

The two version question is tricky. As a content provider, you obviously want to sell the most products you can, and unfortunately in our world, that means providing two versions, Poser and DAZ Studio. With the ever shrinking 3D content market, you almost have to provide two versions to make ends meet. Having to convert your product for a different program or even a different renderers is almost like doing it twice (or thrice). It is a lot of work. I don't think it's wrong to charge more for more work. However, I think charging more for one version over another isn't worth the negative reactions from customers that it will produce.

I've tried both methods, selling separate Poser and DS versions and selling the combo pack. As a purchaser who actually uses BOTH programs, I prefer the combo option and am willing to pay a little extra for it. As a content provider, I've chosen the combo approach, mostly out of laziness. I know I don't charge enough for the work that goes into combo sets but I think my customers appreciate it and that hopefully builds loyalty, which in turn makes repeat customers.

Last edited:

Jay Versluis

Admirable
I'd say it's totally fine to charge more for a product that works in both apps. Depending on the product, two separate releases would be my other option, with both of them available as a value stack with a discount, as suggested before.

By releasing two versions, users get to choose which option they need. And why should they pay for the extra work you had to put in to make content work with an app they don't use?

Ken1171

Esteemed
Contributing Artist
I am coming into this a little late, but it took me a while to backtrack over 5 pages. I saw some comments that I would like to clarify, because it's something I have personally gone through here at HW. Those are legit concerns, and I am happy they were brought out.

* If we made a Poser product, and then want to make a DS version, is it the same, or perhaps less work than making the original?

This is a tricky question. It depends. If it's a prop, or poses, then the answer is YES, it's quicker to make the DS version - assuming you already know how to use DS. If you are new to DS, then NO, you will spend a lot of time fumbling around trying to figure things out, where DS offers way less documentation for content creators to get started with. I guess this is a major issue for people coming from Poser to DS - lack of proper documentation.

Most commercially sold DS tutorials for CAs are already outdated, and chances are you will get stuck even if you buy them. This is because DS changes from one version to the next patch or update. Things change place, name, or the way they work without notice. This is not to say that DS is "bad", but instead that it's harder to learn without proper documentation. As a matter of fact, there are things I like better in DS, and some are better in Poser. None is better in everything. I just wanted to say that it was rather painful for me to learn DS because the information was *hard* to come by, and I had a product to deliver. Very frustrating.

If the product is conforming clothing and materials, then the answer is NO. I have seen some of you mentioning that the models and textures are already created, so that's about it. Unfortunately NO, the bulk of the work is in the rigging, the morphs, the JCMs, and converting the materials. All these things are incompatible between the two programs - period. There is no such thing as a "conversion" - be it from Poser to DS or vice-versa. Once the initial DUF or CR2 is created, that is just the starting point for a lengthy process. I believe most CAs are stronger in one program than the other, so creating a native bullet-proof product in a program you are not quite at home with will take LONGER. At least it does with me - I can't talk for everyone.

If you have created a Poser product and want to bring it to DS, the barriers are bigger than doing the opposite. This is because Poser doesn't support Unimesh geometry internally, and it WILL destroy your OBJ if you let it create the body groups for you (auto-group). Once the OBJ has been compromised, you can't bring it into DS because it expects geometry to be Unimesh (single piece geometry). Poser will break each body group into a separate mesh if you let it, and DS doesn't like that. You will run into a series of problems if you try to force it that way.

If you created a DS product, and want to bring it into Poser, that's an easier process, because DS will preserve your geometry in one piece, which will give you better results in Poser too, unless you let it auto-group it, for then you will get a broken OBJ again. Everything exported from Poser will have broken, non-Unimesh geometry, and that is that. This makes it impossible to export morphs from Poser to DS, because the mesh will have different number of vertexes and vertex order. We can export morphs from DS to Poser, but not from Poser to DS if your geometry is preserved in one piece (as it should be). The solution to this is to create our Poser morphs in an external program, which is a waste when we have the Morphing Tool built in.

Materials will NOT just "convert" between the programs. Basically all bump, normal, specular, and displacement maps will be ignored in the transition. All procedural or native Poser/DS shader nodes will be lost. All greyscale maps from Poser are incompatible with DS, because in Poser the base level for greyscale is zero, while in DS it is 127. This means you will have to necessarily redo all your shaders, unless all you have used is a diffuse map. Not to mention Superfly and I-ray. I was hugely frustrated in my first attempts to create I-ray materials. Here again, where is the proper documentation for MDL shaders for I-ray? I am not referring to the user-level help files, but instead a vendor-level shader creation documentation. I don't know if there is some nowadays, but when I tried there was none to be found.

Against all odds, and with some sacrifice, I have personally taken the burden to learn DS anyway I could, and have released all products for Poser and DS in proper native formats from 2013-2016. I have acquired the knowledge and skills to have it done. Then the issue of pricing came up. How do I price or sell the products in 2 versions? Most people don't know this, but it was rather painful to have a Poser version ready for store that was being held back by a DS version that was, more often than not, taking more than DOUBLE the amount of time to make it bullet-proof in DS. Why? Well, it's the old story - information at content creation level was HARD to come by, and I was getting stuck at one point or another. When something is scarce and rare, it becomes valuable, so people who had the information were often not willing to share it. It was hard for them to get it as well. In other words, creating for DS was rather unpleasant in such circumstances, and sometimes even hostile. Maybe one day learning DS will be easier and people will learn to share the knowledge, but we are far from that as it is. I am not saying that DS is hard to learn because it's a difficult program, but instead that the INFO is hard to come by. It's almost like there is a secrecy around it, which is what happens when something becomes rare.

I know this is getting long enough as it is, but this is to show that even a simple question like the one above doesn't have a simple short answer. So how do we price something that was so difficult for me to create? The answer is - the same as the Poser version. Oh, but it took me so much more time and effort to create the other version, and I have to sell it for the SAME price, or even combine both versions for a slightly higher price? YES. Wouldn't this mean I have worked for more than half the time for free? YES. Bummer.

So all this discussion about being compensated for the extra work is meaningless. Customers will not accept a higher price, no matter how much work we put into it. Like Lisa said, there are vendors who accept this fact, and some who don't. HW does not force anyone to create both versions. That is completely up to the vendor. I have initially thought that making both versions would increase sales, because in theory, that makes sense. But the reality was that my DS versions sold quite poorly at HW - probably because most DS users go "home" to buy DS products, where they have an entire market just for them. I made my accounting after 3+ years and came to the conclusion that making both versions was consuming me as an artist, and I had to stop if I wanted to stay creative. Sales-wise it didn't pay off, and the extra work was hindering my store. I could be making more and better products if I quit trying to make it work everywhere.

I understand there will always be customers who believe there is a magic button that converts things between programs, and that is that, but the reality of things is quite different. There are simple ways to do a quick-n-dirty conversion, but that can only be used for personal use. Bullet-proof store quality will take much more than just that. I know I can convert a simple outfit in minutes, but that is only good enough for personal use. And if you are converting from Poser to DS, and you let Poser create the OBJ, things will get ugly at some point.

So does it pay off to sell products for both platforms? If your sales are paying off, then YES. Otherwise NO. Making both versions is by no means a guarantee of increased sales. At least it wasn't for me in the 3+ years I have tried. Some vendors are willing to live with that, and some are not. It's completely up to you. I am speculating here, but one possible reason why my DS products didn't sell at HW was because the market has become polarized to a point where the bulk of DS users may not feel the need to "leave home", so they don't shop here. It's a matter of free market offer and demand. If my DS versions don't sell here, I stop making them, especially when they were holding my store back. As a matter of fact, many of you might have noticed that I now produce MUCH more products than before, and faster, too. As a content creator, I also feel happier because I almost never get stuck in Poser for lack of info.

Please take all of the above into consideration, and see that things are not as simple as it might seem at a first glance. It's not just a matter of simply deciding to support both platforms, and then it just magically happens and everybody is happy. There is a chance that the market is broken and polarized, and nothing I could have done differently here would change the outcome that my DS products didn't sell. Some factors are beyond us, but I am happy I can now look back and know that I have at least tried for years (with considerable sacrifice) before I stopped.

Last edited:

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Well, there was the option to just spread the cost between both versions, but that feels unfair to the Poser users. So if I keep the cost the same then sounds like my only option is to eat the cost, or just not create a second version.

Consensus is, pricing both the same is the wiser option. Given that your intent is to increase the price of the ds version by a relatively insignificant amount, I wouldn't feel bad at all increasing the price of both versions by $2.50, e.g. Poser version $20 & DS versions $25 versus Poser/DS versions both $22.50. Poser users will not feel they are being punished for DS support because they won't notice, and you shouldn't feel you are being unfair to customers for bringing your price point just a little closer to their actual value. Poser/DS content creators do not charge enough for their work in general.

Also, when making a cross-platform product, I find it helps not to think of the two versions as separate things. ALL of that work is just the work that goes into a product, in three stages: Development of the actual content (models/morphs/textures), then setup in one program, then conversion. Once it's all done, I just try to price it how it looks fair in the market based on the amount of content in the product. Because no matter what, it's not going to recoup what my time was worth going into it. Not for quite some time, anyway! LOL I do cross-platform support because I like to be fair, but also because having support for both platforms ensures that I get the most reward for my work. But, I am also largely comfortable working in DS, more comfortable than Ken is, I suspect. ;-)

If making the DS version is something that does not feel comfortable, maybe the better option is to collaborate with someone to do the conversion for you, offering them a percentage of the sales on that version of the product. That way, you get to enjoy the benefits of increased market potential with no extra cost on your part.

Tip: If you prefer to make the Poser version first and then convert it to DS later, for rigged items, if you start with a parametric rig, that can easily be converted to TriAx in DS.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Consensus is, pricing both the same is the wiser option. Given that your intent is to increase the price of the ds version by a relatively insignificant amount, I wouldn't feel bad at all increasing the price of both versions by $2.50, e.g. Poser version $20 & DS versions $25 versus Poser/DS versions both $22.50. Poser users will not feel they are being punished for DS support because they won't notice, and you shouldn't feel you are being unfair to customers for bringing your price point just a little closer to their actual value. Poser/DS content creators do not charge enough for their work in general.
Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, but makes a lot of sense. I know I, as an end user, would be put off by seeing a difference in price for the two versions, so raising them both to the same price to compensate for that little extra bit for the extra work, seems fair to me.

Hornet3d

Wise
Now there's an idea I hadn't thought of, but makes a lot of sense. I know I, as an end user, would be put off by seeing a difference in price for the two versions, so raising them both to the same price to compensate for that little extra bit for the extra work, seems fair to me.

It does sound fair but the customer very rarely sees, understands or cares at the amount of work that went into a product, the only questions are, can I afford it and do I think I am getting value for money. It is only when there is a difference in the pricing that the question of is it fair comes into play. This solution neatly removes the latter.

LisaB

HW3D Vice President & Queen Bee
Staff member
Co-Founder
Yes, it's extra work to learn something new, however, once you learn it no one can take that away from you. When you learn how to use new tools your ability to create is also stimulated. It's only overwhelming until you know what to do and you can't know what to do unless you try, fail, try again, fail, try again and again and perhaps fail again and again before it all clicks and you succeed.

It wasn't easy for me to learn what I had to learn to make products. I bitched a lot along the way. Whining, "Why can't things just stay how they are?" It was overwhelming to learn new things - at first. It slowed me down - at first. It stressed me out - at first.

Now, though ... it's all part of the checklist of steps I have to take to get from idea to product. Do I like all of the steps? Heck, no! Do I find work-arounds if available? Heck, yeah! Do I know how to use all of my tools yet? Heck, no! Do I still have a lot to learn? Heck, yeah! However, at this point I also have the ability to make a saleable product while I am learning how to push my skills out even further.

Food for thought ...

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend.

Nod

Adventurous
Just out of curiosity, I'm asking a two-fold question... If you make a product for one program, like Poser, but it doesn't work in Studio, should we be allowed to charge more to make a product work in another program? and are we allowed to charge more here at Hivewire? I'm not talking about an exorbitant amount. But if I made a dining room set for Poser and then I converted everything to .duf format for so it would work in Studio, is it wrong for me to charge, say, an extra five or ten dollars for having to convert the dining room set to .duf?

I'd like to hear your opinion. Is it a good idea, or bad? Would it increase the likelihood of vendors creating products in both formats? Inquiring , but crazy, minds want to know!

I've only just figured out how to do MAT files for Poser. So, I'm not even going to try and do stuff for Daz.

Other than that, I would keep it at the same price, but obviously have a separate DS version.