• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Should you charge extra for that?

James R.

Busy Bee
You can charge whatever you like, of course. Most artists undervalue their work. If you put in the time and effort to produce a product, you deserve to be compensated.

But ...a lot of people in this hobby will balk over $5 and will just walk away. I have a vague memory of someone (possibly more than one person?) doing this at another store years ago, but they were charging more for the Poser versions of items. People were really angry about it. No one likes to feel they’re being punished with a financial penalty for using their chosen software.

I see there have been a few posts since I started replying...

Having said this though, being 99% a Poser user, if I see a product I really need that is Studio-only, I might buy it anyway and just do my best to convert it for Poser.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
Having said this though, being 99% a Poser user, if I see a product I really need that is Studio-only, I might buy it anyway and just do my best to convert it for Poser.

I purchased Dimension3D's DUF converter for this purpose. I've converted quite a few pieces using it and am pleased that I did buy it. Karissa hair, Grace Updo hair, Backdoor Walkway, and a few other pieces are recent conversions using this utility.

D

Deleted member 325

As a Poser user - I would prefer the versions sold separately.
I feel you are entitled to charge for the work of making it compatible with 2 softwares - but I would rather that be through 2 separate version rather than a higher priced single product. Especially since I will never use one of those versions.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
There are a number of good comments in this thread, and as an end user, rather than a vendor, I can agree with most of the comments stated.

As far as Earl's original comment about charging more for the converted version, that I don't agree with because, as stated, the geometry and textures already exist, and for me that's the hardest part. I know a number of folks don't have a clue about the "other" software, depending on which is their primary software, but you're not converting the geometry and textures, unless creating for the 2 newer render engines, so why charge more? More than likely you're going to be spending the same amount of time doing the conversion you spent creating the product in the first place, so I don't see the need for a larger price.

I stopped upgrading DS with the introduction of 4.0 and the original Genesis, but prior to that, I always bought Poser compatible products which I used in DS 2, DS 3 Advanced, and eventually DS 4.0 Pro. In fact, I still have DS 3A installed, and can reach it's Runtime from within Poser 9 and PoserPro 11, so I think I've gotten my money's worth without having to do any conversions. Now-a-days with more folks using DS 4.5 or higher, I stopped buying products which are only in DUF format, and since what I use is only for my use, my choice not to bother trying to convert them is not a loss in my estimation.

As far as 2 separate products, or 1 product for both versions, I'll never use the DUF versions, but that fact won't stop me from buying a product set up for both versions if I really want it. Would 2 separate products sell better? I'm not, nor have I ever been, a vendor, so can't speak from experience, but I think it would be easier for the vendor to package and test, as well as easier for the store to QA the product and set it up in the store, if it was one combined product. I just can't fault vendors and/or stores for preferring to do it in that manner.

Hornet3d

Wise
I would, and do, buy products that have all the requirements to be used in both softwares but the price is a factor. If it is very expensive I might decide part of that expense would be wasted as I will never use part of the product. Separate products seems to work but then it is then expensive for those that use both softwares, although I see here at Hivewire this is often negated in some part by putting both versions in a stack.

Where there content that spans both softwares I prefer the downloads to be software specific as I don't want to use disk space and time spent in backing up data I will never use.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I would, and do, buy products that have all the requirements to be used in both softwares but the price is a factor. If it is very expensive I might decide part of that expense would be wasted as I will never use part of the product. Separate products seems to work but then it is then expensive for those that use both softwares, although I see here at Hivewire this is often negated in some part by putting both versions in a stack.

Where there content that spans both softwares I prefer the downloads to be software specific as I don't want to use disk space and time spent in backing up data I will never use.
Yes, I too like HiveWire's Value Stacks for that reason, and in some cases it's not just because two different software versions are being offered, but also because I might not be able to buy all products being offered in a stack separately, but can get most, if not all, when a Value Stack is being offered. That's one of the great options offered in the HiveWire store, which you don't find anywhere else.

Shellyw

Admirable
QAV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I have been a poser user from day one but I started using DS as well these last few years. Being a content creator I felt personally my sales would be better if I offered DS and Poser format. So I learned how to use it and I think that I do alright with it. I could be better and I am working on that.

I don't offer my products as separate packs since when I am making them I use DS and Poser together in their creation. Some things I can do better in DS and some I can do better in Poser. It all depends on the item and what I am putting into it. I spend just as much in one program as I do the other. not counting all the other programs I am using while I am working on a product. So the price of my product is based on the product itself and not how much time I spent in one program or the other.

Having started with Poser all my older products are Poser only ( and of course they are no longer sold either lol ) So when Dawn came out and I started selling again I started with Poser and tried to convert for use in DS but for some reason or another I just could not wrap my noggin around it. I found that going from DS to Poser was so much more easier and less time consuming for me.

When I buy a product I prefer it to be DS and Poser compatible unless it's for certain figure/s, Genesis=DS and Roxie=Poser. I know that Genesis 1,2 and 3 can be used in Poser but I never have and probably never will. Then again the figure I use the most is Dawn and that is okay with me since I can use her in DS and Poser since she was made that way. :)

Now my runtime is all installed into the DS runtime so even if it's sold separately I will more than likely buy the poser version. ( I just point poser to it and there ya go ) Unless it's something I think I can convert easily then I would buy the DS version and just fix it for Poser myself. Now if the there was a price variation then I would buy the cheaper one.

eclark1894

Visionary
Interesting. I have noticed though, that people are balking at the idea of paying a slightly higher price for a product that esentially, all they have to do is load and render. So, let's turn the question around. What if you got a discount for a product that wasn't quite compatible with your preferred program? So, you have to convert .duf files to .obj files. and apply your own materials for Firefly or Superfly, or 3 delight and Iray? But you get a five dollar price discount?

Bonnie2001

Extraordinary
What if you got a discount for a product that wasn't quite compatible with your preferred program? So, you have to convert .duf files to .obj files. and apply your own materials for Firefly or Superfly, or 3 delight and Iray? But you get a five dollar price discount?

I probably wouldn't buy it, as I would have the impression it was an unfinished product.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I wouldn't buy it because I don't need someone else's models to "build your own" since I create my own anyway.

Last edited:

James R.

Busy Bee
I purchased Dimension3D's DUF converter for this purpose. I've converted quite a few pieces using it and am pleased that I did buy it. Karissa hair, Grace Updo hair, Backdoor Walkway, and a few other pieces are recent conversions using this utility.

I’ve heard that’s a good solution. I used to just export props as obj’s because most items were static. But recently I’ve been successful exporting items as cr2’s or now as FBX format.

tparo

Engaged
QAV-BEE

yep that.

It's not that I balk at paying $5 extra dollars - it's that I don't see why I am paying $5 more than someone who uses Poser.
Vendor creates geometry and UV map in modeller of choice, loads into Poser rigs it. In photoshop or application of choice creates textures from UVs, in Poser sets up mats to look good in both SF and FF.
Poser version done
Charge$20

Vendor takes already created geometry into DS rigs, sets up mats for already created textures.
DS version done.
Charge $25

I realise thats pretty basic but where is the extra work for the DS version that justifies an extra $5; maybe I am missing something I don't create stuff so it's a total possibility that I am.

phdubrov

Noteworthy
Contributing Artist
Interesting. I have noticed though, that people are balking at the idea of paying a slightly higher price for a product that esentially, all they have to do is load and render.
In short:
1. $20 Poser version + $5 DS addon (or vice versa)
2. $20 Poser version and $25 DS version
3. $20 Poser version $20 DS version, $30 if you buy both
Most people see first and third as ok, second as not ok.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I’ve heard that’s a good solution. I used to just export props as obj’s because most items were static. But recently I’ve been successful exporting items as cr2’s or now as FBX format.

Those solutions require that you can use DS at all - and I can't. It's nice to have the D3D solution for folks like me.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Interesting conversation...I have bought Poser items and converted them to DS for Dawn...it's often the only option as there is so little stuff for DS for Dawn and Dusk. That said...I resent have to convert the product so prefer to buy DS things instead of Poser(due to the need to convert them) as I can't guarantee how well they will convert. Converting things like clothing is quite complex sometimes and things don't always work automatically, so I personally do not think that charging a lower price for the conversion would be fair.

Hornet3d

Wise
Interesting conversation...I have bought Poser items and converted them to DS for Dawn...it's often the only option as there is so little stuff for DS for Dawn and Dusk. That said...I resent have to convert the product so prefer to buy DS things instead of Poser(due to the need to convert them) as I can't guarantee how well they will convert. Converting things like clothing is quite complex sometimes and things don't always work automatically, so I personally do not think that charging a lower price for the conversion would be fair.

I don't think a lower price would interest me either. I don't mind kit bashing or changing shaders but I am not really into jumping through hoops to make anything work in my chosen software.

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
I don't think a lower price would interest me either. I don't mind kit bashing or changing shaders but I am not really into jumping through hoops to make anything work in my chosen software.

I usually don't bother, but something like a freebie that could be useful is a worthwhile conversion. Like the recent freebie Backdoor Walkway - it's a useful prop set and the texture files were easily loaded without a lot of required Poser tricks to make them look good. I use it here in this Superfly render.

Vest Rigged Hood Down.jpg