• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Wonderful renders everyone...

NA, how did you do the neck on the Qilin? It looks amazing...

The mane is actually the tail portion of the Lilithai Stigoia set with the feather parts removed parented to the neck and then shaped to conform using the dial controls and then rendered. After that, I used CWRW's MNT 3 to fill in the gaps between some of the feathers. The other portion where the textures are is an overlay done with a filter in filter forge called Tigress version 2 Tigress - Variation 2 it has about 30,000 variations and the Pro version of Filter Forge lets you customize settings for roughness grain etc. you can also use the randomizer. So that is what I have done with the filter, but it wont let you save out as a transparent (some filters do allow for that option with the pro verison) .png. So, I loaded it into Photoshop and then used the contrast and brighten settings and the magic eraser tool to make it transparent then placed it over the scale layer. The scale layer is placed over CWRW's bay roan coat layer and then set to about 8 % opacity and there are a ton of scale generators in Filter Forge ....... can't remember which one I used this one Scale Maker 1.0 (Texture) or this one Palm (Texture) the Palm bark generator, but it was in the organics section.

Nice thing about Filter Forge is most filters come with the seamless tile option!

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Gorgeous. Yes, Arki's wings are extraordinarily beautiful, even if they can be hard to work with. Those particular ones come apart when posed in Studio, more's the pity. They're not supposed to be weight mapped, I think, but they just do not work right in Studio. (The Malaik wings, which were the ones she did just before these work fine.) I still managed to make limited use of them on my Thestrals. But I'd have used them a LOT more if I could have done so and not had them coming apart on me.

Sorry I missed this and thanks!!

Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with it, but that portion in the middle of the set of feathers on the wing wants to not behave correctly and breaks through to the other side of the arm. The pose I have here is from the malaik set. I think it has to do with the way these longer pointed feather/wing things are handled as they tend to be more ridged than supple like the Malaik wings.

BTW: Not sure if anyone is interested, but Arki, Kim Schneider is holding a webinar on making hair and accessories Another webinar in the works starting July 22nd.

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
She certainly does marvelous stuff. I'm in the process of rebuilding my sawhorse. This time with the fact that it's going to need to be UV Mapped in mind from the beginning. But I'm not going to attempt trying to do clothing for any figure any time soon. Props are enough of a challenge.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Thanks NA...amazing job!
Thanks!! I'm So, thrilled you think I did an amazing job!! :)

With my uncle's recent diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma that has spread to his lungs and the fact that his heart is too weak to take chemotherapy and he has blood clots so that means surgery is out all of yours and everyones kind words have meant the world to me!!

Yet another doctor's appointment tomorrow for possible chemotherapy alternatives, and then back to the wound center in a few days as he fell going from the bed to the wheelchair and really cut up his arm. Keeping our fingers crossed.

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Geeze NA, here's hoping his arm heals up quickly, and also that the doctor can find an alternative to chemotherapy. :grouphug:
Thanks Miss B.
They are looking at a few hormone treatments to try, but it might be possible to target specific cells with a new method they have come up with that targets DNA markers. It's not essentially chemotherapy more like gene therapy. Won't know until they do the tests though. Sorry for dragging this out here. I probably should delete the posts about it.

quietrob

Extraordinary
Sorry I missed this and thanks!!

Yeah, I'm not sure what is up with it, but that portion in the middle of the set of feathers on the wing wants to not behave correctly and breaks through to the other side of the arm. The pose I have here is from the malaik set. I think it has to do with the way these longer pointed feather/wing things are handled as they tend to be more ridged than supple like the Malaik wings.

BTW: Not sure if anyone is interested, but Arki, Kim Schneider is holding a webinar on making hair and accessories Another webinar in the works starting July 22nd.

Pinging for good information.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I've been using a Wacom for decades. My first one was a Graphire, and then I got a Bamboo Fun years later. I could use a new pen, but they don't make that particular model any more. ~sigh~

You should find the tablet much easier to use than a mouse.

quietrob

Extraordinary
I've been using a Wacom for decades. My first one was a Graphire, and then I got a Bamboo Fun years later. I could use a new pen, but they don't make that particular model any more. ~sigh~

You should find the tablet much easier to use than a mouse.
I'm a wacom tablet user myself. I use a Wacom Intuous 3. I think they are up version 4 with various splits like Intuous Pro nowadays. I bought that tablet back around 2008 and it's worn quite well. I still don't need to replace it when I pair with Photoshop for comics. I'd post a comic picture of mine here but this is a horse thread! :D