• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Yep, 1 Melb cup and 2 Cox plates.

He was a "late bloomer", he's early career sucked badly but he became on of Australia's greatest race horses.

He may even have one more Melbourne cups if they didn't handicap him so harshly, he's the record winner of the horse to carry the heaviest weight of all time (10 stone 10 pounds, or 68 kg) in 1931 when he ran 8th.

Total: 51 starts – 37 wins, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 9 unplaced

Phar Lap's heart was remarkable for its size, weighing 6.2 kilograms (14 lb), compared with a normal horse's heart at 3.2 kilograms (7.1 lb)

It would have been interesting to see what he could have done if he wasn't killed (or accidentally overdosed, they don't know which for sure)

He looks so much like my old TB.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Yep, 1 Melb cup and 2 Cox plates.

He was a "late bloomer", he's early career sucked badly but he became on of Australia's greatest race horses.

He may even have one more Melbourne cups if they didn't handicap him so harshly, he's the record winner of the horse to carry the heaviest weight of all time (10 stone 10 pounds, or 68 kg) in 1931 when he ran 8th.

Total: 51 starts – 37 wins, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, 9 unplaced

Phar Lap's heart was remarkable for its size, weighing 6.2 kilograms (14 lb), compared with a normal horse's heart at 3.2 kilograms (7.1 lb)

It would have been interesting to see what he could have done if he wasn't killed (or accidentally overdosed, they don't know which for sure)

He looks so much like my old TB.
Yes, I think he and Secretariat suffered from the same heart ailment. I didn't know they had him stuffed though! Amazing taxidermy work!! All those veins on there are done with threads and twine under the skin. Secretariat died from a heart attack because of an enlarged heart his weighed in 14 lbs and some odd ounces not sure how many though. =) and you know =) I really think Phar Lap really was all heart! Such a tryer!

Edit to add Zenyatta carried 123 lbs when she won the breeders cup Ladies Secret stakes which I think now is called the Ladies Distaff.

That's nearly 150 lbs so basically he had two jockeys riding him!

Still looks magnificent !

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Hey, you could have a match race Phar Lap against Secretariat or lol if you really want to get creative throw in Seattle Slew, A.P. Indy, Ruffian, Unbridled's Song, Ajax, Danehill, for the French See The Stars, and Estimate for the Brits.

That should be a riot!

Last edited:

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
His heart was just that big, not because of anything wrong with it (they think that's why he didn't do good as a youngster, his body needed time to grow so he could use his heart properly). Poor guy was poisoned by arsenic, but they don't know if it was accidental (as it was used in tonics back then) or deliberate (conspiracies say it was gangsters) but he died in agony :cry:

We have his skin and heart in Aus and the Kiwis in NZ have his skeleton.

They did a pretty good job of the movie. I still have to watch the american race horse ones (hard to get hubby to watch them).

What people don't know is they year he won the Melbourne Cup, is that he ran on Derby Day, Cup Day, Oaks Day and Final (Stakes) Day that week. He won on all four days over different distances. (oh and he was shot at in the morning of the Melb cup and only surfaced an hour before the race).

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
His heart was just that big, not because of anything wrong with it (they think that's why he didn't do good as a youngster, his body needed time to grow so he could use his heart properly). Poor guy was poisoned by arsenic, but they don't know if it was accidental (as it was used in tonics back then) or deliberate (conspiracies say it was gangsters) but he died in agony :cry:

We have his skin and heart in Aus and the Kiwis in NZ have his skeleton.

They did a pretty good job of the movie. I still have to watch the american race horse ones (hard to get hubby to watch them).

What people don't know is they year he won the Melbourne Cup, is that he ran on Derby Day, Cup Day, Oaks Day and Final (Stakes) Day that week. He won on all four days over different distances. (oh and he was shot at in the morning of the Melb cup and only surfaced an hour before the race).
Yeah, back then that's when they ran them back to back. I was surprised at the 51 starts. Now days you are pretty lucky if you have 21 under your belt and then only if it's generally a gelding.

I haven't seen the movie. I will have to look for that.

That's really sad about him though! :cry:

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Well if you really want to go that far back include Eclipse, Matchem ( who died at the ripe old age of 42), and Herod, but those are like back around the 17oo's.

The Breyerly Turk, the Godolphin Arabian, and the Darley Arabian those are the foundation stallions.

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Wow, I'll have to turn in my horse lover's card, I used to know all this stuff, and names and such, but have lost it all over time.....:(

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
It's ok Dax, we'll forgive you :D

"The Breyerly Turk, the Godolphin Arabian, and the Darley Arabian those are the foundation stallions" - (and a couple of lesser ones as well) its surprising that everyone thinks they are all Arabs, back in the day anything middle eastern were Arabian or Turk. They think now at least one of the "Turks" was an Akhal Teke which would make a lot of sense when you look at them. There were also a few palominos/buckskins back then which would have come from AT's as there are none in Arabians, they just called them light chestnuts or light bays :p.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Wow, I'll have to turn in my horse lover's card, I used to know all this stuff, and names and such, but have lost it all over time.....:(
LOL no you do not have to turn in your card!! =)

Bah just shooting the breeze! And reminiscing.

As a kid I was a race track brat! from around 4 or 5 to around 12. That was back when they held the races a night in some places in the summer time due to the heat, and for fun several families would each Saturday have a picnic on the grass in the in field while they would hold the races.
My dad would always ask me which one I wanted to win and I would always say Number 1 LOL and we would scope out which one's we liked and which ones we thought were trouble, and who ever won got a soft drink, or popcorn.

I remember standing on the hood of the car and yelling at the top of my lungs for Eddie Delahoussaye to make that horse win! RLOF!!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
It's ok Dax, we'll forgive you :D

"The Breyerly Turk, the Godolphin Arabian, and the Darley Arabian those are the foundation stallions" - (and a couple of lesser ones as well) its surprising that everyone thinks they are all Arabs, back in the day anything middle eastern were Arabian or Turk. They think now at least one of the "Turks" was an Akhal Teke which would make a lot of sense when you look at them. There were also a few palominos/buckskins back then which would have come from AT's as there are none in Arabians, they just called them light chestnuts or light bays :p.
There are some Moroccan barbs in the mix too it's just that those three were mostly noted. Yeah, some of them do read Akhal Teke and some have that Arabian back.
Well, I know the American TB association does recognize Palamino as an acceptable coat color for TBs, but anything sorrel or buckskin is not and you also cannot have white markings above the knee they also don't recognize black, but there are a few albinos such as Snow Chief so white is ok.

True black TB's are usually found in Argentina. Which rather makes sense as you don't find many Arabian's that are black due to their desert location they were kind of bred out.

Last edited:

Dakorillon (IMArts)

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Those are some awesome memories! I only had a horse for a short time (about 6 months) and have ridden, about 30 times, total, just never had the time and space and money at the same time. But, every year for 16 years I asked for a horse for Christmas, and I drew them, and read about them, and wrote about them, and...you get the idea!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Those are some awesome memories! I only had a horse for a short time (about 6 months) and have ridden, about 30 times, total, just never had the time and space and money at the same time. But, every year for 16 years I asked for a horse for Christmas, and I drew them, and read about them, and wrote about them, and...you get the idea!
=) yap I've been there!

Rae134

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I used to ride 2 racehorses before school and muck out the stables for them and a few more.
I only owned 2 horses (a palomino mare, not sure of her breeding, and a chestnut TB), the rest I leased. My favourite was Nuffy, a grey Australian Stock Horse/Quaterhorse cross.
This pic was taken about 20 mins before I was rushed off to hospital with a suspected broken neck and cracked skull. He fell mid way through a triple in showjumping due to wet grass and a shoe coming loose (not sure if the shoe came loose because of the fall or helped cause it because they were fine that morning). I ended up just having stitches where a loose nail cut me between the eyes. The xrays showed no breaks/cracks but I had a some done recently that shows I have arthritis where I've had a broken neck previously (found out it doesn't always show up on xrays straight away, can take a week or so).
english_show_horse_by_rae134.jpg x_country_jumping_by_rae134.jpg
(thumbnail, click to view larger) he looks a little odd in the first pic because of the angle of the photo :p

Last edited:

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Having worked in the racing industry I don't give a rodents donkey how good the jockeys look without shirts 99% of them are jumped up little twats that leave you wanting to hang them off the nearest coat rack! And at 5 foot or under that would not be hard to do :whistling:

Would love to have seen Phar lap run, such a cool horse

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I used to ride 2 racehorses before school and muck out the stables for them and a few more.
I only owned 2 horses (a palomino mare, not sure of her breeding, and a chestnut TB), the rest I leased. My favourite was Nuffy, a grey Australian Stock Horse/Quaterhorse cross.
This pic was taken about 20 mins before I was rushed off to hospital with a suspected broken neck and cracked skull. He fell mid way through a triple in showjumping due to wet grass and a shoe coming loose (not sure if the shoe came loose because of the fall or helped cause it because they were fine that morning). I ended up just having stitches where a loose nail cut me between the eyes. The xrays showed no breaks/cracks but I had a some done recently that shows I have arthritis where I've had a broken neck previously (found out it doesn't always show up on xrays straight away, can take a week or so).
View attachment 24889 (thumbnail, click to view larger) he looks a little odd here because of the angle of the photo :p
He's a beauty Rae and OUCHIE!!
Lol Been thrown many of times, but nothing that bad!! I think the worst was the trip through the vollyball net. Luckily the net gave way or I might of been strangled. I still have the rope burns on my arms where it hit and of all things startled by a rabbit.