• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Thanks! ^.^

Gosh Loving what I am seeing so far!! I think you have really captured the look of him!!
The anti Pegaus I have in mind would be more along the lines of the Nazgul flare The witch King of Angmar, but totally get for a much later date!

If you've got any reference material for what you've got in mind, I'll add it to my To-Do folder. ;-)

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
I always thought the Nazgul's flying mounts were something in the Pterodactyl class.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
I always thought the Nazgul's flying mounts were something in the Pterodactyl class.

Just according to John Howe ^.^ Tolkein only described them as winged creatures without feathers which gave off a stench. They have been portrayed many ways. Sometimes as horses, sometimes as bird-like, sometimes as pterosaur-like.

Last edited:

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Can I just add to the anti Pegasus thing with a description I read in a book, (paraphrased), Leathery bat like wings, forward pointing eyes like a predator, sharp fangs and claws rather than hooves.

Trying to imagine what a horse would look like with wolf eyes, now. LOL Someone posted a sketch of a horse with claws and bat wings awhile back for reference...I'm going to try to find it again.

And yet, not dragons. Middle Earth has dragons, and people would have recognized those.

Quite so, the fell beasts must look much different from Smaug for no one to have said, "You know what? That thing looks like a dragon. The Nazgul are riding dragons!" ;-)

Last edited:

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
They are if you follow the movie, but I have something a little different in mind that combines both. Although, if following the LOTR movie trilogy they start with horses ...... rather like ..... undead horses and then once they are swept away in the river by Gandalf they obtain the reptilian varieties. If only someone would do the Nazgul costumes, they would be awesome with dynamics!!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Here is the one I was talking about, it was in the Dragon thread.
Yes!! But I want him more prickly with horns and such and wings. ....... I'm a huge fan of the artist Gerald Brom known professionally as Brom. I will see if I can find the image he created.
Ok something along the War Hammer 50,000 K type there is a winged variety also.Would rather have a dragon-like tail though with barbs and a horn spiked mane and love the teeth idea shown here and in the above image link you posted.
Total War: Warhammer - Sulephet & Dark Pegasus, C Wallberg

Last edited:

Freyfaxi

Adventurous
I'm not sure about the wings on that Warhammer beasty..they look far overscale for a horse-like body. I'm trying to imagine them furled- the horse body would be invisible ?

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
The Nazgul did ride horses when they were chasing the Hobbits through the Shire. Once we got to Rohan we found out that they'd been stealing black ones from the plains. It confused the issue politically since people outside Rohan thought the horse lords were paying tribute. They weren't and were hopping mad about the whole situation

Dreamer

Dream Weaver Designs
Yeah that's pretty good, though I all ways thought of the Hurrok's as thinner almost bony rather than solid and stocky but that could be a preference thing

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
There's no reason geographed products couldn't be made into a regular conformer with a prep pose to hide the unnecessary bodyparts.

Except that you are taxing the system more because you are dealing with two figures to create one and in a complex content rich scene it makes a big difference. When i use say your Centaur rig with V4 and use the Ali Centauress Cindy I can see a difference in setting up a scene and moving stuff around and in the render time. A cursory look at the file size also is telling!
I have always preferred single mesh figures wherever possible for just that reason. For instance there is a beautiful set or Satyrs/PAN figures in Renderosity store single mesh from what I recall and I was going to choke swallowing them up as soon as I saw them until I read they were for DAZ Studio. TO say I cried would be an understatement.....I did.......the same amount of salty stuff I wasted when DA released their Single Mesh Minotaur. It did not come close to what I would have released but it came pretty much closer as a single mesh, than anything I have seen out there. It would just be nice opening a file posing it adding the stuff in the scene needed lighting and rendering instead of doing all that step'n fetch, riga-marolling ad nauseum just to get a seemingly realistic fantasy figure. If necessary i can do it with the rest but I would happier than a pig in the midden heap if a great figure with morphs rich possibilities were to release tomorrow it goes straight into my Runtime....well, maybe not as happy as being able to model my own little buggy-mens but close! Hell I would come out of my no Poser work coma i have been in for so long just to play with them!!!

carmen indorato

Extraordinary
well I guess my ideas do strike creative nerves! :)

Steam punk! Trojan! Scaled dragonlike?
I saw the Trojan horse model at Rosity and wish it was poseable. It is so cool! I gotta get it.........as soon as it goes on sale! :((

JOdel

Dances with Bees
HW Honey Bear
Ken Gilliand and CWRW have the set of feathered Pegasus wings. Chris was working on a pair of dragon/bat membrane wings which could be used with pretty much any figure. They're back-burnered, but I'm pretty sure there were some screenshots posted in the Dragon thread.

Sparky

Monster Maker
Contributing Artist
Was't someone working on a nice set of wings for harry here!?

Ken made a set of wings for Harry. But the griffin is for the big cat. ^.^

Except that you are taxing the system more because you are dealing with two figures to create one and in a complex content rich scene it makes a big difference. When i use say your Centaur rig with V4 and use the Ali Centauress Cindy I can see a difference in setting up a scene and moving stuff around and in the render time. A cursory look at the file size also is telling!
I have always preferred single mesh figures wherever possible for just that reason. For instance there is a beautiful set or Satyrs/PAN figures in Renderosity store single mesh from what I recall and I was going to choke swallowing them up as soon as I saw them until I read they were for DAZ Studio. TO say I cried would be an understatement.....I did.......the same amount of salty stuff I wasted when DA released their Single Mesh Minotaur. It did not come close to what I would have released but it came pretty much closer as a single mesh, than anything I have seen out there. It would just be nice opening a file posing it adding the stuff in the scene needed lighting and rendering instead of doing all that step'n fetch, riga-marolling ad nauseum just to get a seemingly realistic fantasy figure. If necessary i can do it with the rest but I would happier than a pig in the midden heap if a great figure with morphs rich possibilities were to release tomorrow it goes straight into my Runtime....well, maybe not as happy as being able to model my own little buggy-mens but close! Hell I would come out of my no Poser work coma i have been in for so long just to play with them!!!

The problem with making a single mesh character for every conceivable monster out there, is that you have to redo a ton of work for each figure (expression morphs, shape morphs, etc.) and you wouldn't be able to mix and match them. They would be what they are and full stop, getting adequate support for all of them would be impossible. Ex. Cindy doesn't have nearly as much content available for her as any of the human figures, because she is a niche product. Using an established human figure as a base gives you SO much more versatility. Satyrs would be a project you could easily make as a morph on a single mesh on a modern figure, but centaurs can't be done as a single-mesh as an addon product. It would have to be an original figure, and that figure would never get the kind of support you would have if that centaur were an addon to a human figure.

well I guess my ideas do strike creative nerves! :)

Steam punk! Trojan! Scaled dragonlike?
I saw the Trojan horse model at Rosity and wish it was poseable. It is so cool! I gotta get it.........as soon as it goes on sale! :((

I have a number of the images you've posted sitting in my to-do folder. ;-)