• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
Getting metallic flakes in Poser is not too hard if you fiddle with the material nodes.
As to geograft, I have no idea what that is but gonna go find out now that you raised my curiosity. :)

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
I remember when Anton was doing his thing with Apollo he did what's called a Geometry Switch which I would think is a work around for this. When one didn't want Apollo's genitals showing, which were part of the main geometry there was a switch to put in a flat surface, the surrounding geometry matched that with the original Apollo, same as you have to have with Geografting.

Faery_Light

Dances with Bees
Contributing Artist
When you do Geografting, do you make a new object file?
If so, maybe Chris could work with you to make it Poser compatible since you can't redistribute the horses with it.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Well the geografting, from the little I know about it, MUST have the surrounding border poly's be exactly the same as the parent object you want to graft it too. There are tutorials out there but I've not delved into them. Might be a way to make my Pan legs for Dusk work as an alternative to making them a conformer.... but again, I'd need a month or so to learn and set it all up and I just don't have that sort of time!

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
Tropical fish are amazing! I think I went a little over board when I looked at them. I was wondering what kind of skins people might like though.

View attachment 33158
Oh that one looks fun!! I like the color choices! This would be good for a texture expansion set.
Lets see......... I'm rather fond of the natural tropical fish type colors and Beta fish are also a favorite. I like the base texture you created as well as the green one I did by rolling the colors as Rae calls it in Photoshop. She suggested something along the lines of an Orca texture for use with the draft horse that could be kind of interesting although you could use the color blocking and get some nice combos without having to go so traditional with the black and white texture.

I also know someone who would love a chance to texture him!! =)

Last edited:

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
so I did a preliminary trial with parenting the tail, mane and legs without geografting, and created some opacity mats to hide the back and the legs. Also tried out how to do the blending without geoshells. it's possible to fit a second horse to the first one and assign it the different colors. But the second horse has to be slightly larger and that doesn't work all over. Possibly a displacementmap could take care of giving the second horse a little more volume. The frontflippers work pretty nicely, but the tail didn't quite fit as it should. Maybe in poser it works better. I will try to do the whole thing for poser but I first have to figure out how to get the figures from DAZ to poser without having to rig everything again. Someone know how to do that?

parented assets.jpg

FreyrStrongart

Brilliant
Contributing Artist
Well the geografting, from the little I know about it, MUST have the surrounding border poly's be exactly the same as the parent object you want to graft it too. There are tutorials out there but I've not delved into them. Might be a way to make my Pan legs for Dusk work as an alternative to making them a conformer.... but again, I'd need a month or so to learn and set it all up and I just don't have that sort of time!
geografting is actually very easy. There is a short little tutorial on youtube that tells you all you need to know in a nutshell. You'll get the hang of it in a jiffy! I am a total newbie with all this modeling and boning and it has taken me ages to learn most of the tricks, but the geografting bit was child's play. You just have to start right with the modelling job

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
I have an idea you might use for the mane. You could do a seaweed type mane with transmaps.

I have to go for now!! Lots to do for other people! I just got home a little while ago.

Lyne

Distinguished
HW Honey Bear
Well, it's entirely up to you which elements you are using. But yes. This is for the Hivewire horse. Unfortunately a poser version will be a problem. This is a geograft, and also uses geoshells, both techniques that require DAZ. There might be a work around for poser but I do not use poser and cannot try out how to do it. So for the time being it will be restricted to DAZ. There will be two versions of the tail, one with, one without flippers. Also the mats really rely on the iray technology with metallic flakes and top coat and I have no idea how that would tranlate into Poser.

ohh that let's me out then... oh well.. sigh.

NapalmArsenal

Distinguished
Contributing Artist
ohh that let's me out then... oh well.. sigh.
Chris, Paul, or Sparky might have a work around Lyne don't lose hope yet!!

Maybe Dawn and Dusk Merfolk too LOL and proper Cat/Fish and Dog/Fish? Do merfolk have pets? ROLF!!

I will talk to Paul about getting you a Gypsy Vanner, but first need to get the Daz Version finalized. Harness fit with traces and the mane/tail and morph I would like to load as a prep scene.

Last edited: