• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Remember him?? Not funny, but true story, When I was a kid, my mother had to take me and my brother to a PTA meeting one Tuesday night. I know it was Tuesday because both Red Skelton and Jackie Gleason were on TV that night. Now mind, you, I didn't feel a thing, but several people swear they felt an earthquake that night. The newspapers did report one the next morning. Gleason was one of my favorite comedians, particularly in the Smokey and the Bandit movies.
I remember Jackie Gleason, as I always liked him.

As far as not feeling an earthquake when others did, I had that once about 8 or 9 years ago when we had a light earthquake (there was no damage). I felt it, but my neighbor, who was down on the street in front of our building, didn't feel it. Then again, I live on the top floor, so that was probably what made the difference.

eclark1894

Visionary
The wall plate in my kitchen is covered by small water color painting, oriental theme.
We used to have a two phones. One in my mother's bed room and one in the kitchen. After my mother died, we kept them for a few years, but ppeople couldn't reach us because I was always on AOL. Eventually, we moved on to cellphones. The wall plate in my kitchen was left unadorned.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Still use landlines, but with Fios. Before I had Comcast Xfinity. Haven't had a stand-alone landline in over 25 years! Mostly have a 3-unit cordless set in use, but two wired phones, one in the kitchen and one in the basement, just in case. They still work when the power is out.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
I had to go into the hospital a few years ago, and my family came over and called themselves cleaning the house. They took all of my stuff and put it in our storage shed out back. I don't know, maybe they didn't think I was going to make it. Anyway, When I came home, no one told me they had put it in the shed. I found it today. Mostly it was old routers and cords, and believe it or not a couple of my old modems.

Miss B

CV-BEE
I have 4 "landline" phones in 4 different rooms, but they are supported by my Internet Provider, so not dial-up phones. Like Dana, I haven't had one of those in about 2-1/2 decades.

Hornet3d

Wise
I have 4 "landline" phones in 4 different rooms, but they are supported by my Internet Provider, so not dial-up phones. Like Dana, I haven't had one of those in about 2-1/2 decades.
We used to have both a wired landline and one provided over the broadband but the wired one failed and the providers wanted £100 to send an engineer out and the earliest appointment was in two weeks. That made us question why we wanted both particularly as there was also a monthly rental charge for the wired version. Callouts for the broadband provider was, and is, free so it was wired rental agreement that got cancelled that was almost ten years ago.

We have a base station upstairs that has one phone and a second phone is downstairs connected to it. As we really only call the in-laws on the phones we have far more scam calls than the do genuine ones so they are of limited benefit. When the lock down was first announced we purchased a Amazon show for the in-laws so we now video call them and use the phone even less.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
I still have a landline. It's on the desk beside me. Except for a crap hp laptop I whipped to put Linux on a few years back, I've never owned a mobile device of any type in my life. Untill I moved here to the Big Smoke I've always lived where mobile phone coverage was spotty if at all. Phones were party lines so privacy was nonexistent untill I was in my 30's. It would cost me a lot more to have a smart phone than the landline costs and for a guy who receives at most, a single phone call a month; and who makes maybe a half dozen a year; I'd just cut the phone all together if I could but I'm quite old and a call to 911 (emergency services) may be needed at any moment unfortunately.

eclark1894

Visionary
I still have a landline. It's on the desk beside me. Except for a crap hp laptop I whipped to put Linux on a few years back, I've never owned a mobile device of any type in my life. Untill I moved here to the Big Smoke I've always lived where mobile phone coverage was spotty if at all. Phones were party lines so privacy was nonexistent untill I was in my 30's. It would cost me a lot more to have a smart phone than the landline costs and for a guy who receives at most, a single phone call a month; and who makes maybe a half dozen a year; I'd just cut the phone all together if I could but I'm quite old and a call to 911 (emergency services) may be needed at any moment unfortunately.
I remember party lines. Never owned one, but I do remember them. :D The closest thing I ever had was picking up the phone in the kitchen and hearing my mother talking on the line in her bedroom.:rofl:

eclark1894

Visionary
Saw a picture today that didn't have this, but reminded me of when they did. Remember these??? Hint: they don't exist anymore. Another hint: They had something in them, that was delivered every morning.:D
1637429201020.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
I've never lived in a private house, so I'm only guessing, but I'm thinking it's a milk crate.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these??? Used to be able to buy these at any time of the year. But then, the safety people thought we were having too much fun and passed... rules (gasp) and regulations.
1637430397856.png

Miss B

CV-BEE
Remember these??? Used to be able to buy these at any time of the year. But then, the safety people thought we were having too much fun and passed... rules (gasp) and regulations.
It's hard to tell for sure, because the background of the image is too light a color, but I'm going to guess those are fireworks sticks. I never had them, and don't recall if they sold them in any stores in any neighborhood I've ever lived in.

Flint_Hawk

Extraordinary
Before trucks, horses were used to deliver milk. They learned where to stop at each house where milk was delivered, so the "driver" had his hands free.

eclark1894

Visionary
It's hard to tell for sure, because the background of the image is too light a color, but I'm going to guess those are fireworks sticks. I never had them, and don't recall if they sold them in any stores in any neighborhood I've ever lived in.
I can kind of understand not having them in large citys like New York. A fire could easily get out of hand there. One of the things we used to do when we could get sparkers though was to buy rolls of caps and then set them on fire. They would explode as the roll burned.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Oh, I've heard firecrackers on July 4th, but I'm not sure they were from Sparklers.

Hornet3d

Wise
Oh, I've heard firecrackers on July 4th, but I'm not sure they were from Sparklers.

Firecrackers in the UK were explosive in that they gave a bang, or a crack I guess, whereas sparklers just sparkled. There were also bangers if I remember rightly firecrackers gave multiple explosions whereas the banger was a single shot. Bangers are now outlawed in the UK, no one under the age of 18 is allowed to handle fireworks in public and although fireworks can be set off on any day they must not be set off after 11pm except for certain defined days.