• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Ahhhh, yes, now I remember the name of the Band, and the song itself. I don't always remember every song from back in the 70s, but I did like that one.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
I was gonna do a pic of Afro
Sheen products, but if you're not black, like me, it probably wasn't as big an impact in your life. So... remember these??? Afros. I used to have one.
View attachment 71572
Though I am admittedly not black I do remember these, and Afro Sheen, and similar products like Soul Glo. These were a very 70-80s thing and were prominent even in some mainstream media including one of my favorite martial arts movies (I will leave everyone guessing as to which one). As with all hair styles I felt some people wore it well, others not so much.
Sometimes I miss the early 80's.

Stezza

Dances with Bees
I programmed this little critter to do pigeon velocity calculations :eek:

robert952

Brilliant
My first 'scientific' calculator, strapped to my belt along with my Pickett slide rule. I lived in the transition from slide rule to calculator. A buddy had bought one of the HP calculators for a couple hundred bucks (not sure the price). This was like $20. Sure, his was fancier with its LCD readout. But this TI did all I needed. I think this was a straight input device and did not use inverse Polish notation.

eclark1894

Visionary
So I was watching the Ed Sullivan Show on MeTV last night and I think I actually remembered seeing this performance back when I was about 5 or 6. Ladies and Gentlemen, the HARDEST working man in showbusiness! Mr. James Brown!

Last edited:

eclark1894

Visionary
My first 'scientific' calculator, strapped to my belt along with my Pickett slide rule. I lived in the transition from slide rule to calculator. A buddy had bought one of the HP calculators for a couple hundred bucks (not sure the price). This was like $20. Sure, his was fancier with its LCD readout. But this TI did all I needed. I think this was a straight input device and did not use inverse Polish notation.
Ooh, slide rules. I had forgot about them, but then, i didn't know how to use them, then or now. Or those weird three sided rulers. :oops:

Miss B

CV-BEE
So I was watching the Ed Sullivan Show on MeTV last night and I think I actually remembered seeing this performance back when I was about 5 or 6. Ladies and Gentlemen, the HARDEST working man in showbusiness! Mr. James Brown!
I always liked James Brown, but I don't recall that performance, or that song, and my family were avid Ed Sullivan fans. We watched the show every Sunday night.

eclark1894

Visionary
I always liked James Brown, but I don't recall that performance, or that song, and my family were avid Ed Sullivan fans. We watched the show every Sunday night.
There were two or three shows that came on Sunday Nights that I loved to watch, but then I had to go to bed. Two of them I remember, The Ed Sullivan Show and the FBI with Efrem Zimbalist Jr. I want to say the other one was Bonanza, but I can't recall.

eclark1894

Visionary
There were two or three shows that came on Sunday Nights that I loved to watch, but then I had to go to bed. Two of them I remember, The Ed Sullivan Show and the FBI with Efrem Zimbalist Jr. I want to say the other one was Bonanza, but I can't recall.
I looked it up. Bonanza was on Saturday Nights in it's first season. It moved to Sunday Nights in it's second season.

eclark1894

Visionary
Speaking of Saturday Nights, I remember three shows we used to watch on Saturday Nights back in the 60s. The Wonderful World of Disney, Star Trek, and... for some reason, The Lawrence Welk Show. :oops: :oops:
1637618065522.png
1637618236051.png

1637618153416.png

unreal

Noteworthy
I learned on my dad's first generation HP. I had the hardest time using a non-RPN calculator, my entire calculator using life (up through uni). Once, riding my bike across campus, my pack opened and calculator splattered on the ground. Right before an engineering test. I had to borrow someone's non-programmable scientific TI. I had programmed my HP to solve symbolic matrices etc. And I only ever used RPN. Needless to say, I didn't do so well on that test. The TI calculator was bass ackwards.

unreal

Noteworthy
Speaking of Saturday Nights, I remember three shows we used to watch on Saturday Nights back in the 60s. The Wonderful World of Disney, Star Trek, and... for some reason, The Lawrence Welk Show. :oops: :oops:
View attachment 71578 View attachment 71580

View attachment 71579
Currently watching the remastered original Star Trek. You know, the first and to a lesser degree, second season were really good Sci-Fi stories. Not todays "space military" stuff. Actual sci-fi. And the acting is actually much better than I remembered. Shatner was actually a pretty good captain. he was not as "rip the shirt jump the green alien chick" as I thought. Not even considering it's time, it was much more casually non-sexist and non racist than today's over the top stuff. I remember Nichelle Nicoles talking about how MLK actually convinced her to continue in the series, although she was a bit underwhelmed with her part. His take on it: this was actually the dream future he was talking about. She was female, clearly a good looking black woman. And that was unremarkable. When Riley is relieved at Helm, Uhura is ordered to take the position and does. Nothing amazing about it.

I'm concurrently watching STNG and Voyager. Lockstep, episode number by episode number. Acting was good in all of them. Voyager started off more strongly than the others. STNG was actually the weakest (first 2 seasons). But the acting was very good.

All of them put to shame "guns in space" stuff. Watch any contemporary sci-fi. There will be gun play and or sex before 30 minutes is up. It's almost comical.

unreal

Noteworthy
View attachment 71578 View attachment 71580

View attachment 71579
My Great Grandma watched lawrence welk! She liked the music and dancing. Never spoke english. Came from Spain when she was a kid. By way of Argentina. She worked as a seamstress when Great Grandpa died (young). Her kids (grandmother) had to stay in a convent until she could put together enough money to take care of them. And she did. When she died (at 96!) we found she owned several houses and original IBM stock. I just remember her watching Lawrence Welk. And telling dirty jokes in Spanish, while the adults sat around in the summer, drinking sangria. It's why I learned Spanish in HS. So I could understand the jokes :D

Miss B

CV-BEE
I'm concurrently watching STNG and Voyager. Lockstep, episode number by episode number. Acting was good in all of them. Voyager started off more strongly than the others. STNG was actually the weakest (first 2 seasons). But the acting was very good.
I also watched STNG and Voyager, though I remember folks saying they didn't like Voyager because of the female captain. I thought she was a good change from all the male captains of the earlier Star Trek series. I also watched Deep Space 9, Stargate SG-1, and Stargate Atlantis.

The one Sci-FI show I really liked was Babylon 5, mostly because all the episodes were written by one person, which really kept the story line in focus.