• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
Yes, but nothing so particular. I remember a red plaid design on mine, with a matching thermos. Only used it one or two years. Then it was brown bags. That didn't last very long. Then it was nothing.

Dana
1628432510261.png
Your speaking of brown bags reminded me of some pretty lean times when I was a kid. I remember once when I was around six years old, my mother didn't have any money to give us for lunch. My brother and I went out and collected some glass bottles and took them to the store and sold them. We got enough money to buy some nabs. Two things came out of that. My mom swallowed her pride and put us on welfare. (I mentioned in an earlier post that used to get government assistance in the form of welfare food). And before someone thinks my daddy ran off, he died when I was two. I don't even remember him. I'm the only child who doesn't. My biggest regret in life is that I have never been able to celebrate Father's day. Anyway, the second, thing that came out of those lean times was that my mother signed me and my brother up for reduced lunch at first, then free lunch after.
1628432925235.png

eclark1894

Visionary
One final thing. As i mentioned, things were pretty lean for us when i was a kid. Fortunately, my mother's sister owned a restaurant on South Street in Raleigh. Sadly, it;'s gone now, but I know exactly where it was. There was a competing restaurant across the street Called "Burnett's Grill". To the last of my knowledge, the building is still standing. My aunt's grill was called the "Knotty Pine Grill". I was a teen before I figured out the significance of that name. Anyway, whenever my aunt got a delivery of chicken into the restaurant, she would call my mother and tell her to send my brother and I to the restaurant to get some chicken and other things for dinner. We'd get there by one of three ways. We walk on the street, which I liked doing because there was this beautiful girl, a teenager named Pat Brown. I had a serious crush on her, and we'd stop by her house and talk to her on the way to my aunt's restaurant. The other way was also by street and a little longer, but it took us by the Seven up bottling plant. and the third way was along the train tracks. I spent most of my childhood walking those tracks. The tracks are still there and still in service, but due to urban renewal in the area, near to impossible to get on and walk. God, I miss my childhood. :D
1628434416786.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Just had an interesting memory hit me. When I was growing up in Walnut Terrace, (place i lived from birth to age 12) my mother insisted that we all eat at the table together. We did this, as I said until I was about 12, then we moved away from Walnut Terrace to an individual house where i still live today. At first, we continued to eat together at the table until I was about 15 or so. Even the dog and cat made appearrances. But when I was about 16, I got my first job, and with my paycheck, I bought a black and white TV from Sears. It was cheap, even for then. I think it cost about $89 dollars. We put the tv in the kitchen and would watch it while we ate. As we got older, we ate less and less meals together. Eventually, we started gathering around the tv in the living room to eat. Our last meal as a full family, before my mother died, was a holiday meal, Thanksgiving or Christmas, i can't remember.

Did you guys eat together or gathered around the TV?

eclark1894

Visionary
A quick addendum to my last post. I was just sitting down in the kitchen and I looked down and realized that of all the furniture that is still in this house from when I was a kid, there is only one. The dining room table. It used to have an extra leaf for in that we would put in for thanksgivng and Christmas dinners, but that's long gone. Only the table is still here. I don't remember when we got it, but as I said, I was only kid around 7 or 8. That's freaky, I'm only about 8 years older than my kitchen table and it's holding up better than I am. :D

Hornet3d

Wise
Just had an interesting memory hit me. When I was growing up in Walnut Terrace, (place i lived from birth to age 12) my mother insisted that we all eat at the table together. We did this, as I said until I was about 12, then we moved away from Walnut Terrace to an individual house where i still live today. At first, we continued to eat together at the table until I was about 15 or so. Even the dog and cat made appearrances. But when I was about 16, I got my first job, and with my paycheck, I bought a black and white TV from Sears. It was cheap, even for then. I think it cost about $89 dollars. We put the tv in the kitchen and would watch it while we ate. As we got older, we ate less and less meals together. Eventually, we started gathering around the tv in the living room to eat. Our last meal as a full family, before my mother died, was a holiday meal, Thanksgiving or Christmas, i can't remember.

Did you guys eat together or gathered around the TV?

We always ate as a family even when it had grown to a family of seven. I don't know when it stopped, in fact I think Sunday dinners were still a family affair right up until I left home in my twenties. For a long period meals were without my father as he was in isolation for a long time with TB. Cash was tight as there was no real sick pay and he was off work for almost eighteen months. I am not sure at what point we had a TV but I know we were one of the last in the street to get one but it was never on at meal times.

I do remember that we had no washing machine and used to rent on for a day each week with it being delivered by a guy driving a small van or car with a washing machine sized trailer on the back.

eclark1894

Visionary
Remember these? Aside from Pepsi and Coke, and for some reason Dr. Pepper and Root Beer, these were my go to sodas in the 60s. :D
1628544531334.png
1628544653487.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I forgot about these! I couldn't stand Tab. I never had Frostie but i had seen it. And I know a lot of people liked Grape Nehi, but I was into Orange Nehi or Orange Crush.
1628553836281.png
1628553965773.png
1628554069879.png

1628554126107.png
1628554274286.png

eclark1894

Visionary
They still sell Monopoly! In fact, they keep making new versions of it for special things.

Dana
I remember for awhile that they sold an electronic version of the game. Has anyone ever played it? During the summer, my nieces and nephews and my brother and I would stay up all night playing that game. We were ruthless! :D

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always found Monopoly to be my favorite board game. I also had a computer version back in the days I had a DOS-based computer, so decades ago.

robert952

Brilliant
I don't recall specific lunch boxes. Brown paper sacks became my standard...until I started working and discovered Tupperware.

eclark1894

Visionary
Here's a board game I never played. I always wanted to because it looked really fun, but just never happened. I did buy a game though for my friend's adopted daughter just a few months ago.
1628630658554.png

eclark1894

Visionary
He knocked my block off! :D I honestly thought at one point that this game was going to revolutionize boxing! All we got though was battle bots!:confused:
1628630801177.png

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
never played mousetrap (always wanted too), we did have a Rockem Sockem Robots and I wish I knew what became of it.