• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

unreal

Noteworthy
I just realized something. I've heard the expression "older than dirt." Looking at the CDN products posted from my youth I've come to the realization that "I'm older than Metric." Forgot that I graduated from Public School before the change in 1970.
I fully blame the British for the fact that the United States uses the Imperial Measurement System.

Nothing says "independence" like clinging stubbornly to an archaic system of measurement long abandoned even by your own former imperial overlords, along with the entire world. :p

unreal

Noteworthy
I've had these before, but when i was a kid the first I ever heard of them was in a commercial for the cereal. Some made this from scratch. I've always wanted to try and make a batch.
View attachment 69983
I still make these. Nuke marshmallow + a little butter; add crispies.

Instant sugar rush, as needed. Now I know what I'm having for snacks this week :)

eclark1894

Visionary
So, i went to the store this morning and i knew I was going to buy some Tootsie Rolls, but when I got there,I decided to buy some other candies. Problem is, all this candy was going to cost me, so I improvised and compromised. Ended up buying one candy bady that had several kinds of candy in it, including the three sizes of Tootsie Rolls that I wanted, the Tootsie pops and some of these. Hadn't had any of these in a month of Halloweens. :p Had to stop eating though. I'm going to eat this sparingly. All that sugar's not going to do me any good.
1624806650258.png

unreal

Noteworthy
So, i went to the store this morning and i knew I was going to buy some Tootsie Rolls, but when I got there,I decided to buy some other candies. Problem is, all this candy was going to cost me, so I improvised and compromised. Ended up buying one candy bady that had several kinds of candy in it, including the three sizes of Tootsie Rolls that I wanted, the Tootsie pops and some of these. Hadn't had any of these in a month of Halloweens. :p Had to stop eating though. I'm going to eat this sparingly. All that sugar's not going to do me any good.
View attachment 70036
I used to take dots flavours I didn't like and squish them into a multi-colored ball. Started a massive food fight in HS getting rid of multiple day ball. Across the room. Into the Principle's head (accidentally. My original target ducked). We were all *so* in trouble for that lunch event O.O

robert952

Brilliant
DOTS - isn't that the grandfather to Gummy Bears? I remember having them but not the details except they were squeezable.

eclark1894

Visionary
DOTS - isn't that the grandfather to Gummy Bears? I remember having them but not the details except they were squeezable.
Great Grandfather maybe. I never even knew what a Gummi Bear was until I was in my late twenties or early thirties.When I was a kid it was mostly, Swedish fish and gummy worms.

Terre

Renowned
Fish and worms sound right to me. Bears and all the other things I started seeing later.
Does anyone else remember the mascot for chocolate Nesquick being a kangaroo while the bunny was for strawberry?

robert952

Brilliant
Does anyone else remember the mascot for chocolate Nesquick being a kangaroo while the bunny was for strawberry?
Not sure. I do remember when it was called Nestle's Quik before it became Nesquik. I still refer to it as Nestle's chocolate.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I wasn't able to find a mascot for Nestle's Quik in the US before the Strawberry Quik bunny. Images of vintage Nestle Quik containers is just the chocolate milk.

1624997041857.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
Used to have Nestle's Quik when I was a kid. Today, I'd prefer Hershey Syrup in milk. Can't do that much anymore, though. Don't drink a lot of milk anymore, either. Before a medical thing happened, I used to drink milk with Hershey syrup, sometimes with real maple syrup. That's yummy! I call it Maple Milk.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
Used to have Nestle's Quik when I was a kid. Today, I'd prefer Hershey Syrup in milk. Can't do that much anymore, though. Don't drink a lot of milk anymore, either. Before a medical thing happened, I used to drink milk with Hershey syrup, sometimes with real maple syrup. That's yummy! I call it Maple Milk.

Dana
When I was growing up I could buy single serve chocolate milk in small cartons like this. As I got older those cartons went away, and were replaced by small bottles. We even had a creamery bottling plant downtown called Pine State. About ten or fifteen years ago they tore the plant down. My church was just a few blocks over from this plant. So was our city bus station.
1625008829303.png
1625009035640.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
Yeah, they had the chocolate milk cartons when I was young, too. Mostly saw them in school cafeterias.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
My last post made me think of out city busses when I was a kid. This picture is actually two years before I was born, but I still remember the busses looking exactly like this.
1625009713530.png

robert952

Brilliant
Ah...busses. In youth and town I grew up, most areas used City Busses and insured neighborhood schools were on the routes. Ten Cents (US) was the fare. And if you lost your dime, the bus driver would let you ride anyway. As a child I think I could by a day pass for fifty cents and ride the busses wherever. Those were the days. I doubt few would let their 8 and 10 year olds ride the busses alone today.

I didn't ride a "school bus" until high school. Then it was a fellow student (senior class) driving.

unreal

Noteworthy
I wasn't able to find a mascot for Nestle's Quik in the US before the Strawberry Quik bunny. Images of vintage Nestle Quik containers is just the chocolate milk.

View attachment 70073
There was a song the bunny sang. Something like: "It's so rich and thick and chocolate, that you can't... drink it slowwww... if it's quick, oh baby, oh <sluuuuuuurps the straw until until sucking air.>. That's the saddest sound I know. <sniff>"

Here's the weirdest thing. 2 days ago, for reasons completely unknown, and before I read this part of the thread, I was humming this song then sang it out loud while I was making lunch.

<queue original Twilight Zone music>

ps: not the 80's new Twilight Zone theme, which was done by the Grateful Dead. One early episode of that series starred Jonathon Frakes. The original Twilight Zone starred William Shatner, twice. And Nimoy in a small part, once.

pps: uhg, the things I remember. Brain cells going to waste...

unreal

Noteworthy
Yeah, they had the chocolate milk cartons when I was young, too. Mostly saw them in school cafeterias.

Dana
Chocolate milk cartons were for fancy schools. :D

We had to bring our daily "milk money" of 0.15 for a pint carton of plain white milk. Amd we had to take our own "bag lunch". PB&J or Bologna (Oscar Meyer, of course).

Ours was a tiny private (catholic) school in Lincoln. The nuns had normal names and dressed normally. Just "sister <whatever>". But in the early 70's, we had laser scanners in stores. Then we moved to the east coast in mid 70's. It was like stepping into the dark ages for me. Manual cash registers. No drive through tube's at banks; you had to go in or use the window. Nuns wore habits and had guy names (Apostles). On the other hand, inside some of the old trees around us were the remains of musket shells from the American revolution. Which is kind of cool for a kid who's interested in history :)

Nothing like playing kick-ball on the Princeton Battlefield. And it really was.