• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
I always thought they were called Washboards as, IIRC, in olden times folks who lived in the country who didn't have washing machines, used to do their laundry down by the lake or stream, and used the Washboards to clean their clothes.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I even saw one used recently in a tutorial video for bongos on YouTube...accompaniment was on the washboard. :D

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
I always thought they were called Washboards as, IIRC, in olden times folks who lived in the country who didn't have washing machines, used to do their laundry down by the lake or stream, and used the Washboards to clean their clothes.
They are called Washboards, but I remember when I was young seeing Granny on The Beverly Hillbillies and sometimes musicians on Hee Haw playing the Washboard in a country song. When it was used in a country band, it was called a Zydeco.
1623973294143.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Anybody own these growing up? I had a loop de loop track when I was about 8 or nine. These cars were so cool. I might be mis-remembering but I seem to remember a Hot Wheels Batmobile.
1623973587644.png
1623973688861.png

DanaTA

Distinguished
For the record, they did make one for the Batmobile, back in 1966. But now I don't think I owned it.
View attachment 69914
I built the model kit...it had a little Batman and Robin that sat inside. I guess mom threw it away after I got married. Along with several other models, including the Man from U.N.C.L.E. models (two interlocking models, one of them jumping a stone wall, the other already over it and crouching with gun drawn, John F. Kennedy in his rocking chair in front of the fireplace, a Viking ship, a Tall ship, big Batman model, the Enterprise NC1701, a '63 Thunderbird, the Munstermobile, a Rat Fink funny car model and maybe a couple others. some of them might have been worth some money today.

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
I built the model kit...it had a little Batman and Robin that sat inside. I guess mom threw it away after I got married. Along with several other models, including the Man from U.N.C.L.E. models (two interlocking models, one of them jumping a stone wall, the other already over it and crouching with gun drawn, John F. Kennedy in his rocking chair in front of the fireplace, a Viking ship, a Tall ship, big Batman model, the Enterprise NC1701, a '63 Thunderbird, the Munstermobile, a Rat Fink funny car model and maybe a couple others. some of them might have been worth some money today.

Dana
Funny you should mention the Enterprise. I remember when the Motion Picture came out, I bout a model kit and put it together, Had in hanging in my room for several years after. I decided to keep going after that. I was hooked on a show called Starblazers on tv. I really liked the ship, but there was no model for it, so I decided to make my own... sorta. I went to a hobby shop and bought to kits. One was the Queen Mary, the other was the Battlestar Galactica. I put them together to make my own futuristic space ship. Even added cannons and guns from a kit of the PT-109 that John Kennedy used to captain. I used to have pictures of it, but my neices and nephews threw a lot of my stuff out the first time I had congestive heart failure. Kinda makes me wonder if they weren't hoping I wouldn't come home.
1623984041500.png

Last edited:

robert952

Brilliant
Sure, they are used in hillbilly music (can't think of the more proper word for it right now). :D

Dana
It's called a washboard. Put metal thimbles on your finger tips and move them up and down to serve as part of the rhythm section. When used with a pair of spoons, a fiddle and banjo, you are set for a hootenanny. (Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls.)

robert952

Brilliant
Funny you should mention the Enterprise....
View attachment 69915
I have built 3 models of this including one with a light kit. I found one that one of my son's built in the attic broken beyond repair.
Recently, Hobby Lobby was running a model sale and I bought another one to build. Off the top of my head I think it's the AMT release. I also built just about every Trek model that came out (Klingon, Romulan, Shuttlecraft Galileo most notable along with a collection of the main ships in the same scale as a kit.). I doubt they would be of any value IF I still had them.

Yes, I am a trekker.

KageRyu

Lost Mad Soul
Contributing Artist
Anybody own these growing up? I had a loop de loop track when I was about 8 or nine. These cars were so cool. I might be mis-remembering but I seem to remember a Hot Wheels Batmobile.
View attachment 69912 View attachment 69913
You are remembering correctly. If I can find it I will snap a photo. There was also a BatBoat, a spidercopter, a Superman Space Vehicle with silver pop-out fists. and a few others. I can't remember if it was Hotwheels or Matchbox that did the General Lee and the A-Team van.

DanaTA

Distinguished
It's called a washboard. Put metal thimbles on your finger tips and move them up and down to serve as part of the rhythm section. When used with a pair of spoons, a fiddle and banjo, you are set for a hootenanny. (Look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls.)
I know what it's called.

I did!
n. pl. -nies 1. U.S. A gathering of folk singers, especially for a public performance. (on page 309 of my copy - Revised edition 1977)..

:p

Dana

eclark1894

Visionary
First time I ever heard of a hootenanny was on The Beverly Hillbillies. With Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Yeehaw!!!! :D

eclark1894

Visionary
Earl; it's a washboard. Zydeco is a type of musical styling, not an instrument. I know as I played in such a band. Jughead (2)
Well you're right about the musical styling, but I looked it up. Apparently, it's called a vest frottoir or rubboard. That's a percussion instrument used in zydeco music similar to a washboard. But like I said, I have seen washboards used.

unreal

Noteworthy
Funny you should mention the Enterprise. I remember when the Motion Picture came out, I bout a model kit and put it together, Had in hanging in my room for several years after. I decided to keep going after that. I was hooked on a show called Starblazers on tv. I really liked the ship, but there was no model for it, so I decided to make my own... sorta. I went to a hobby shop and bought to kits. One was the Queen Mary, the other was the Battlestar Galactica. I put them together to make my own futuristic space ship. Even added cannons and guns from a kit of the PT-109 that John Kennedy used to captain. I used to have pictures of it, but my neices and nephews threw a lot of my stuff out the first time I had congestive heart failure. Kinda makes me wonder if they weren't hoping I wouldn't come home.
View attachment 69915
OMG, you've just described my childhood. I remember those shows *and* those model kits. Watched them and built them. I too combined the models. Later, I blew them up with firecrackers, filming them at high speed (part of me and friends attempts at special effects).

unreal

Noteworthy
Someone posted Pez. I still bulk order strawberry pez from the company that makes them. The best thing about being old(er)? Well funded immaturity!

eclark1894

Visionary
Someone posted Pez. I still bulk order strawberry pez from the company that makes them. The best thing about being old(er)? Well funded immaturity!
They still make Pez? Say, does anybody remember what they used to call those straws that had flavored powder in them? Pixy stixs!!!!
1624067874031.png