• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Remember These???

eclark1894

Visionary
i've never seen either painting but I do see what you mean about the eyes. That would have spooked me as well.
Now that I've had a few days to remember more clearly, I think I'll portrait at my house was just like the one you saw pictured. There's a lot of things surrounding that picture that spooked me out.
1. I was a kid. I forget how old I was when we got the picture, but it was after King's death, and before we moved to our new house. (yeah, the picture moved with us).
2. King had been assassinated, so we had a picture of a dead guy on our walls.
3. There was a cemetery nearby. Down the street, across from our school. The cemetery was right around the corner from a community store that everyone shopped at. I hated going to the store after dark.
4. I used to see "things" at night. I hated passing any cemetery, and when I was a kid, I had to pass them ALL at some point.

eclark1894

Visionary
Been awhile but... remember these? I hated these. Couldn't do more than two, three tops. This image by the way is from the NC Museum of History.
1622836338167.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I used to buy these ever so often. One with the propellers and wheels and one without. Preferred the one without propellers and wings. They seemed to fly better and further. Our neighborhood store or the Woolworth's downtown had them for sale and oh were they cheap!
1622887684079.png
1622887800727.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Mentioning Woolworth's made me think of two things, the Greensboro Sit-ins, and The Polar Express. I think I was too young at the time to know about the sit-ins, although I did find out about them when I was a little older, around eight or so. I never went to Woolworth's to eat anyway and I was always with my mother. As an aside, the building is still there in downtown Raleigh, although to be fair, I don't remember anything about sit-ins happening at THAT store. Over years, the store has closed, other stores have opened there and closed, including a little five and ten, a bank and even a subway shop. But the building is still there, on the corner of Fayetteville street, across from the Federal Post Office.

Terre

Renowned
I remember both of those, yes. Couldn't do a darn thing with the paddle balls. The planes were neat but pretty delicate.

eclark1894

Visionary
I remember Sam Goody and Blockbuster, but never heard of Record Bar.
The Record Bar was I guess a North Carolina Regional thing then. They were headquartered in Durham, NC, but had record stores all over the south. Eventually, BlockBuster bought them out and either shut them down or sold them off. Back in the Late 80s and early 90s, they were at their most popular. Up until I got into radio and started getting my music directly from the record companies, I used to go to the record Bar at least five times a month.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Burger Chef had a mushroom swiss burger that was great! I missed them. Burger King is it for me, now...and not very often.

Dana

Desertsilver

Busy Bee
I started a thread like this over at Rendo a couple of weeks ago. Apparently eerybody didn't appreciate it, so I thought I see what the reaction was over her at Hivewire.
Remember these? Speak out if you do!!!

View attachment 66543
I remember getting my teeth stuck in one of those- if it is a Sugar Daddy! never touched one again.

And those Pink Owl Cigars!! When I was in grade school in NY- we would stand on the corner near traffic and 'smoke' them on cold days ( your frozen puff a breath looks just like smoke on a cold day) just to get crazy expressions from passing cars!

My favorite old fashioned candy is the old Atomic Fireball- it actually took 2 weeks to make one at the old factory:

'Invented in 1954, these Atomic Fireballs were first produced by Nello Ferrera (which is also the company's founder and who it is named after). The Fireball was a type of jaw breaker that was considered unique to others because it had a long lasting spicy flavor to it. They are made from the hot panned process with ingredients of single grain of sugar, syrup and flavor. The candies are started with a small hard jaw breaker candy substance and tossed in a pan that spins the candies and coats them in the flavored material until they are the appropriate size. The process lasts for about two weeks but the end result is a spicy flavored jaw breaker and highly profitable. The jawbreaker candy will then get a spicy outside coating that consists of at least one hundred layers of coating. The spicy candies come in two sizes, the pea sized and the popular medium sized. It has been reported that around 2012 Ferrera no longer produces the larger Fireballs.'

eclark1894

Visionary
I just found out in some places these were called Jaw Busters! I knew them as JawBreakers! They were good, but it took forever to eat one.
1623877453809.png

eclark1894

Visionary
Anybody remember when your cereal had a real record on the back? Of course, I was never a Honeycomb fan so I never got the Monkees record.
1623898266740.png
1623898342529.png

eclark1894

Visionary
I was watching a Tom and Jerry Cartoon on HBO Max today and saw one of these. We used to have one of these up until the early or mid 80's and then they just disappeared from sight. Although, I think Walmart actually still has some on sale. I wouldn't have even thought people knew what they were, much less still used them. Makes me wonder though if I can make one in Blender.
1623967202381.png