• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Reinstalling DS, converting things to Dawn and Diva and my experiments along the way

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
That's very true...

I'm waiting for the final version before I do much for her. And many of the things I've done I'm hoping to convert over to give her more stuff in DS.

Still going thru my old zbrush files and found one of the first items I made using a tutorial. At the time I couldn't work out how to make it into one object to send to DS. It was no problem today which is nice as it shows progression.
sword.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
That looks like something I played with in ZBrush years ago. Hmmmm, I wonder If I still have it. ~scratches head~

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I seem to remember you saying that a few years back. That's partly why I posted it. I don't think I could find mine at the time. I'm going thru and organising all my zbrush files to make it easier to find things.

I've got an item that I think will be of interest that I'm currently playing with in ds with dforce...

Miss B

CV-BEE
I seem to remember you saying that a few years back. That's partly why I posted it. I don't think I could find mine at the time. I'm going thru and organising all my zbrush files to make it easier to find things.
Well, I couldn't find it, but I definitely remember the Cross Guard being square shaped like yours, which is why I thought I had it. Unfortunately, I don't have every single item reinstalled on this laptop, so it's probably hiding somewere.

That said, however, I did find a Katana and Scabbard set I did in Maya when I had an educational version a few years ago. This one came out a lot better than the ZBrush one, as I never really liked the way the shape of that blade turned out, so I must've done something wrong.

KatanaAndScabbard.jpg

I think I'll rotate it a bit more so you can see the shape on this one. I have to move the scabbard back some to do that, as it was initially done with them side by side so looking at a side view hides the blade.

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, here it is rotated so you can see the shape better. I probably shouldn't have used white for the Diffuse color, as in this render it looks flat as a single piece of paper. :roflmao:

KatanaAndScabbardRotated.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
I think Katana swords all of have the same basic shape to the blade. It's the Cross Guard and Handle that are always different.

That particular set also has a Stand for the Sword, so not just the Scabbard. I'll have to check that out tomorrow, as I don't recall exactly what it looks like.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Still going thru the files from zbrush. Found a few interesting things that I've been playing with in zbrush with dynamics and also dforce.
Highwaisted dress after playing in zbrush
playing with dress with belt in dforce more and experiment with dforce to see what happens with a belt.

I didn't realise how many partial dresses I made before we got dforce.
shortsleevedreshighwaist.jpg
dforceexperiment with belt.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
OK, I like the 1st image, and the 3rd and 4th images. What I would like to see better when adding the "belt" in the 2nd image would be to have the belt up where the dress gets fuller under her breasts, and I would make it half as wide as you have it now. Placing the belt there would add to the dress, but wouldn't take away from the flow of the dress.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
It does do it to an extent... it's interesting though as it needs the dress to be under the belt so the dress under the belt is actually smooth. It's not meant as a finished product. That image was just me messing around with dforce to see what worked. I was expecting the mesh to explode but it didn't. Next time I'm playing with the concept I'll post before and afters so you can see what difference it makes. I need to experiment with it some more.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhh, OK. I'd like to see the before and after, as that often gives me even more ideas.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Here's some very quick and nasty before and afters. Took the dress in zbrush and just randomly pulled it out from above the belt.
The rest are just simulations in different poses. No materials colour to make it easier to see.
default no simulation.
before.jpg

After still in default pose
after default.jpg

Followed by a few poses to see what happens when the body is moved in different ways. Last one is a zombie pose in an attempt to get one where she's leaning forward.
after pose1.jpg
after pose2.jpg
after posezombie.jpg