• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Reinstalling DS, converting things to Dawn and Diva and my experiments along the way

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Upped the gravity to 2
gravity chaged to 2fr.jpggravity chaged to 2.jpg

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
OK, the poses in the first set look good, so it sims pretty nicely.

As for the second set, I don't think I would've thought to pull it out further in the back, but with the higher gravity setting it looks good. Having that much of the top draped over the back of the belt isn't a bad idea. Not sure how Poser's Cloth Room setup would work with something like that, but certainly interesting enough to try. I think it looks better from the front/side than from the back, but there might be some other setting to get it a bit flatter to the her back for certain poses.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Me too! It shows the potential to do cowl necklines if you get the shape right. And the importance of getting the settings right.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Miss B, the recent images aren't meant as finished garments. They're experiments to better help me understand how dforce works. The thread is about me reinstalling and experimenting along the way. Some of these meshes will never be released or taken further.

I'm still trying to decide what to work on first.

I just found this in my clothing folder. I seem to have set it up and even made a mat but I can't find it on either sharecg or Rendo which makes me think I didn't release it? I did it around the same time as the genesis one.
Look what I found.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Even has a Diva fit. So I'm thinking first thing is to test it so I can release it and finish this project. I plan on converting the dress to Dawn 2 and also Genesis 8.
The second project should be converting the Gen8 dress to Dawn and Dawn 2.
Not sure what I'll work on after that.
Maybe the Luna items.

Attachments

• Has a diva fit.jpg
    Has a diva fit.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 108

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, I like that, and it looks good on Diva too, except I would consider making it the same knee length on Diva as you have it on Dawn. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
@Miss B, the recent images aren't meant as finished garments. They're experiments to better help me understand how dforce works. The thread is about me reinstalling and experimenting along the way. Some of these meshes will never be released or taken further.

I'm still trying to decide what to work on first.
Oh I understand Pen, I was just giving you some ideas to think about. Even if these particular items don't make it into the store, you'll at least have an idea of how to reproduce any of them if you want to some time in the future.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm glad I was a bit worried that you thought they were going to be actual items. All good.

Yes I was thinking about that also I'm wondering it I can make it have a shorter/longer morph also. I will have to play.

I discovered why I hadn't released it. I wanted it to work as a conforming also. I've been playing with weight maps for the last few hours.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
For skirt variations in ZBrush make sure and mask off the entire top and waste area. BLUR the mask, use the move tool go up once, Expand the mask once, go up once, rinse and repeat. This way the textures don't look too awful and you get more options for the skirt lengths.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the tip Ram. That's pretty much what I was doing in Zbrush.

I love the new cloth transpose that you use with dynamics. I'm also finally getting more from the deformation polish options. They're really powerful.

I would have done the Diva morph a few years back though prior to the dynamics being in zbrush.

RAMWolff

Wolff Playing with Beez!
Contributing Artist
Have you fully upgraded your ZB or are you sticking with the last update that Pixo offered before the buy out? I'm in the ladder! I'm not sure paying $39.00 for a sub is worth it as I don't use ZB on a daily basis right now.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm sticking with the last update. I can't afford to do otherwise. If I spend the rest of my life playing in zbrush I still won't learn all the functions. It does everything I need and more now. It's just not worth upgrading it further at the cost.

Miss B

CV-BEE
This is why I stuck with Blender for so many years. I really disliked the old 2.4x version I started with, but they finally upgraded to a more professional UI with version 2.5x. As most folks who haven't played with it much, I found it daunting, but I couldn't afford anything like Maya or ZBrush, so I stuck with it until I got comfortable with it.

Then about 3 years ago they totally redid the UI again. At first I just ignored it, but I finally installed a newer version, and again I'm relearning the UI and where everything is. I knew if I ever wanted to be able to model anything, I would have to do it in Blender, as it's the only powerful modeling app I can afford, as it's free. Luckily you don't have to "install" blender so you can run more than one version on your computer without worrying about conflicts.

Oh, and I found a site that has lots of Blender courses, and when they have a sale, I grab a few, as they have lifetime access, so worth it.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I've had to relearn stuff in zbrush also... I've tried a couple of times with blender as I want to use it for elder scrolls but it tends to make my brain melt.

Miss B

CV-BEE
A lot of folks complain about it, as I did back when I first started playing with it.

I've learned quite a bit the past 5 1/2 years taking the courses I'm "still" taking. With lifetime access, I keep looking at several of them again every time they update the courses for the new versions.

For the past 2 or 3 months I've been trying to do hair, and they have a way of doing it with their Particle system, which I've tried but only get so far with the current version. Supposedly, there's supposed to be a brand new way to do it in the next version update that will be a much simpler method, but I always consider newish versions of software in WIP format, and usually prefer to wait until the final release is available. This time, however, I just may do it anyway, as I saw a video on YouTube that's NOT a tutorial, but more a visual presentation of how the new system will work. This I'm eager to see, so possibly in the next month or so. ~fingers crossed~

Anyway, I'm going to get off here now, so will see you tomorrow.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So I woke up fresh and ready to have another go at the weight mapping. I want to get it right so I can set it up as a template that I can use in the future. I had been applying a pose and seeing what needed fixing, I know it's been a while and it really needed a different approach. Unfortunately symmetry in the weightmapping doesn't seem to work so I started with leg bends and gradually increase in increments of 10 which allows me to fix problems when they're still small issues.

One thing I did notice it the dancing 1 pose exceeds the limits of the leg bend in the negative.

So my question is if a pose exceeds the limitations of the figure do I need to worry about it? Something to ponder on. It's slow but I'm getting a bit more adept at using weight map brush. I've reduced the sensitivity right down as otherwise it gives mountains when I just want to raise it a bit. I've also increased the inner radius and changed the fall off to ease in/ease out instead of linear as it seems to give a smoother finish.

No pretty/interesting pictures yet.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Okay, finished with the weightmapping for the day as I need a break. I picked up a couple of things from Daz this morning that were on sale and that I had in my cart. They went down 60-70% overnight which was wonderful.
Now to the reason I'm mentioning them here.
I bought Batch Convert Gen4 poses to duf and also V4 to genesis pose converter.
The second one is particularly awesome as it will convert Poser dawn poses to genesis and fix the hand and feet problem as the script from Adam no longer seems to work this is particularly wonderful.
Batch convert will convert to duf files but doesn't alter the poses in anyway but it will convert k4 and m4 as well as v4.

So I'll be spending some time today converting my poser dawn poses to genesis. Yay! No more feet and hand problem but there is a slight difference in the distance between the legs.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
So no the complete solution I thought it was.

1st dawn pose has been converted with v4 to genesis, middle is just the batch converter and the final dawn is the poser pose file. As you can see it does seem to move the pose in both converters but does fix the feet.
I'm not sure there isn't a better way. Off to play some more. Adam's site doesn't seem to be up anymore but I have asked at the daz forums how to fix the script.
to fix the script.
Dawn comparison of batch converters.jpg

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Found a simple fix, now I just need a way to save it. If you select the foot and go to parameters you can turn on the top parameter for Ignore local transform. This fixes the foot problem. Now I just need a pose preset that will allow me to do it with clicking a single icon.

Attachments

• parameter fix turned off left foot.jpg
    parameter fix turned off left foot.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Parameter fix.jpg
    Parameter fix.jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 91