• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Reinstalling DS, converting things to Dawn and Diva and my experiments along the way

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I have been doing and I keep reducing it from what it comes in out. Parts look good and other parts look black which makes me think I need a set of testing lights which I think I have but can't remember the name of them. I bought them when I was testing Diva iirc.

I think I got them from rendo so I'll check if I have all their lights that I bought installed.

I've been busy weaving as well this morning as I need to finish the scarf/shawl for my daughter. It's almost done but her birthday is tomorrow.

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
Oh, BTW, I never knew about the "render panel", though in my version it shows when you click on a right arrow on the line above your renders. I always use the File menu, because about 1/2 way down there are two options: 1) "import", and 2) "export", so I click Export and select Image... which opens a window to save your image. There you name the image, and there's a second option to choose the "type" of image, so there's where you would choose JPG, as I think that's what you said you wanted.

I have to check to see where the automatic setting is, because I save all images as PNGs so I can have the transparent background. Well it looks like there isn't a specific setting in the Render Settings, so it's possible Poser just remembers I saved as a PNG file the last time, and just does it again. If I find where there's a setting for it, I'll let you know, but you can set the type of render you want each time you save the render. I'm sure Poser remembers when it's a second or third render of the same image.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Thanks for the info Miss B. I'm just about to go over to mum's and help her sort out a shopping list but I'll have a play when I get back.

I think for me as I'm very much a windows vs mac person I tend to look for a file save as. I always think of export/import being for non program files. Like importing objects and stuff into DS or pdf's into word until recently. More recent versions only require them to be opened iirc.

It just seems totally foreign to me which is probably why I have such difficulties with the Poser interface. Bryce has a similar interface and I always found that hard to use also.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Just had a quick look at lights and I bought some fk mild boreal lights which I think might be the ones I used with Diva. I've installed them and I'll have a play when I get back.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Yes, I have 3 of Fabi's light sets, but the RTShadows-NoAO Mild Boreal Lights are the ones I use regularly. I also, when beta testing, use the DevelopeLight (no. 1), and often set the Rim Light to Zero, because when beta testing I don't need that sort of light, and it sometimes "gets in the way" if you know what I mean. The Rim Light is nice for final renders you're going to put up in a gallery, or show off somewhere else.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I think you may have suggested them to me a long while ago when I was testing Diva.
I've reduced the bump strength to .05 it was originally set at one. Something funny is happening on the left breast I'm going to try turning the figure to see if it's the lights as the rest doesn't look too bad. I might still reduce it some more though to .03 and see how that renders.
Note: turned figure and similar problem on the other side which makes me think it might be caused by the mesh stretching over the breasts. I didn't get this problem in DS.
bump.jpg
bumpotherside.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ahhhh, I see what you mean. I'm liking that texture though. :)

I didn't see that with the texture I played with recently, but my texture was an overall texture rather than very small flowers grouped together. It may very well be stretching because of how 3DU did the mesh and UV map, and if that's the case, I'm not sure how to fix it, because then we wouldn't be able to use the original OBJ.

I had a stretching issue with the cute outfit Sanbie had done for Diva a couple of years ago which I couldn't successfully texture in Poser because of how she created the UV map.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
I'm thinking now that it's a specular issue. I've removed the image in the specular channel and reduced the bump to .02 and I'm liking it better.

So next question, how do I save the materials preset?
bump.02.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
Ohhh, that does look better. Glad you figured it out. :)

OK, I hope this will explain how to save the materials.

You have to save it directly to your Materials Library.

Under Poser 11, create a new folder for all materials you create. You can name it however you want, for e.g., Pendraia Materials, or whatever suits you better. Probably whatever Materials folder name you use in DS would work.

Then make sure you have the Camisole selected, and in the Library you will see some icons at the bottom left, and they are as follows:

1) The Folder and plus sign will create a new folder.

2) The Plus sign will add something to the folder.

3) When you click in the folder the item you select will be added to your scene with the Check mark. It will "replace" whatever's already in the scene for that item.

4) The Minus sign is used to delete something from a Library folder.

5) The Star is used to add something to your Favorites. I don't use the Favorites at all, but you may want to at some point.

One other icon you may come across is a Double Check mark, and that will "add" to a scene rather than replace what's already there.

PoserAddToLibrary.jpg

Hope that helps.

DanaTA

Distinguished
I'm thinking now that it's a specular issue. I've removed the image in the specular channel and reduced the bump to .02 and I'm liking it better.

So next question, how do I save the materials preset?View attachment 75756
Could it possibly be partly due to focus? This is a pretty close view, and probably is using a wide angle "lens". If there is a shallow depth of field, the very...umm...tip of the breast may be in front of the field of focus. Just a thought.

Dana

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
@Miss B ,Yay I've saved the first of the presets. You're very good at explaining how.

@DanaTA , You could be right...I don't have to worry about depth of field in DS unless I set it. Which may explain the difference between the two programs.

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Moved it back a little bit and I can hardly see it so I think Dana was correct.
cream point 2.jpg

Last edited:

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Now that I know how to save the mats. I need to work out how to make the injection for Diva's fit for the camisole.
I've been searching and reading on the various threads here as I'm fairly certain that's where I found it previously.
I did find this in a Netherworks post:
The only injection pose builder I have is via Poser's PMD injection (Creator's Toybox). It is likely outclassed, in terms of allowing you to pick specific morphs, by Poser 11 Pro's "Export, Morph Injection" feature.

Now as I have Poser 11 Pro I was wondering can anyone walk me thru the Export Morph Injection feature? I do have Creator's Toybox and that's probably how I did it previously.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Could it possibly be partly due to focus? This is a pretty close view, and probably is using a wide angle "lens". If there is a shallow depth of field, the very...umm...tip of the breast may be in front of the field of focus. Just a thought.
Good point Dana, as I rarely do such closeup renders, even when beta testing, but DoF is definitely a factor. :)

Miss B

CV-BEE
@Miss B ,Yay I've saved the first of the presets. You're very good at explaining how.
Glad you were able to accomplish. Once you start doing it more often, it'll become second nature, and you won't need my instructions. ;)

Oh, and I should've mentioned in the instructions above, with the Double Check mark, the reason you might want to use that is when, for e.g., you have 2 Divas in the same scene, each wearing the same outfit with different materials.

Miss B

CV-BEE
Now as I have Poser 11 Pro I was wondering can anyone walk me thru the Export Morph Injection feature? I do have Creator's Toybox and that's probably how I did it previously.
I don't usually have a reason to do that, so not too up on it. I do have a lot of Joe's (Netherworks) goodies, and the Creator's Toybox is one of them, I just don't remember ever using that particular feature of the Toybox.

DanaTA

Distinguished
Now that I know how to save the mats. I need to work out how to make the injection for Diva's fit for the camisole.
I've been searching and reading on the various threads here as I'm fairly certain that's where I found it previously.
I did find this in a Netherworks post:
The only injection pose builder I have is via Poser's PMD injection (Creator's Toybox). It is likely outclassed, in terms of allowing you to pick specific morphs, by Poser 11 Pro's "Export, Morph Injection" feature.

I have Injection Magic from DAZ...never used it, though. Just thought it might be handy to have one day, so I got it on a really good sale. I don't know if it's even still available. Oh, just checked, and I don't have that, I have Injection Pose Builder, and both are still available in the DAZ store. Old, though. Not sure how useful they'd be to you.

Dana

Miss B

CV-BEE
I just checked, and I bought both of those too . . . back in 2009. I don't recall what version of Poser was out then. Also IPB mentions V3, M3 and Steph3. I doubt it would work for Dawn, or any character based on Dawn.

Both of those are DAZ Originals, though Injection Magic was by 3D Universe, and the outfit Pen's trying to refit is by 3D Universe. Hmmm...

Pendraia

Sage
Contributing Artist
Good morning, just waking up.

@Miss B I really appreciate your help I wouldn't have been able to do this without you. I have been saving your instructions to onenote so they will be easy to find again.
@DanaTA I think I have both of them but from memory they weren't recommended to use last time. I did buy Netherwork's toolbox and from memory did use that and I also got help from Paul. Which reminds me I have his webinar from digital art live so I think I will need to watch it again.

I also am going to need the best way to get the dynamic dresses into poser with morphs... so much to learn.

parkdalegardener

Adventurous
For a figure just make sure that "enable external binary morphs" is checked in your preferences and "spawn a full body morph". You will get a PMD file if I remember correctly that only contains the modified channels. You can then "load full body morph" and your fbm is loaded by way of the pmd file and any necessary channels not in the target figure are built on the fly. Haven't done it in a year or so. I used to have blank inj and rem poses to add them to figures because people seam to still have reservations about external binary morphs (pmds) that haven't been a problem in years. You can use the copy morphs command to copy your fbm from the figure into the figures clothing. Depending upon the clothing your mileage will vary.