• Welcome to the Community Forums at HiveWire 3D! Please note that the user name you choose for our forum will be displayed to the public. Our store was closed as January 4, 2021. You can find HiveWire 3D and Lisa's Botanicals products, as well as many of our Contributing Artists, at Renderosity. This thread lists where many are now selling their products. Renderosity is generously putting products which were purchased at HiveWire 3D and are now sold at their store into customer accounts by gifting them. This is not an overnight process so please be patient, if you have already emailed them about this. If you have NOT emailed them, please see the 2nd post in this thread for instructions on what you need to do

Redistributing Poser Dynamic Hair without the base figure - a solution

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
I also find decreasing clumpiness helps a lot as it will cause bald areas ... especially with shorter hair. Usually, I set it to 0.

The only time I really use it if I'm going for wavy/crinkled hair.

Satira Capriccio

Renowned
CV-BEE
Contributing Artist
Which also reminds me. I also generally set Kink Strength to 0 (for the same reason as above).

So that would be good too if you could add that (if you haven't already)

Thanks Cliff!

Glitterati3D

Dances with Bees
OK, Cliff might beat me up in the morning, but I have to show this off. 7 clicks to put fur on this coat, style it and add materials!!!!!!!!!! Not one trip to the hair room.

FurCoatWhite.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
OK, Cliff might beat me up in the morning, but I have to show this off. 7 clicks to put fur on this coat, style it and add materials!!!!!!!!!! Not one trip to the hair room.

View attachment 32906

I am FAR too tired in the mornings to beat anyone up. It'll have to wait until this afternoon at the earliest.

And then, you'll need to post something that's as uncomplimentary of TrueHair as some of my renders have. Did you SEE my cat/dog hybrid creature? :shudder. I suspect I would be cautious of showing "actual use" WIP renders in some other places because they're... well, unfinished. Chris's WIP on the dragon, where he was willing to show a VERY early stage dragon and update it as he went until it really appeals to me is the thread that encouraged me to be able to post "what things look like partway through" and not to worry about getting only final, polished images for the forum. Because you guys apparently know what stuff looks like when it's still being worked on, so you know renders I kick out of just one or two steps applied aren't going to be gorgeous 80's hair.

Except, perhaps, the gorgeous 80's hair animations, complete with fluffy scarf. But that's an exception.

So yes, absolutely - better renders than mine that used my product to get there are SO thoroughly welcome - but don't feel you have to post renders. I'm a fairly laid-back kinda guy.

It's just that when you see other people having fun with something you made - well, you KNOW what kind of kick that gives you. Warm fuzzy feelings ;)

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Which also reminds me. I also generally set Kink Strength to 0 (for the same reason as above).

So that would be good too if you could add that (if you haven't already)

Thanks Cliff!

Kink Strength, got ya. It wasn't on the list, but it is now.

While I have a design goal of minimising the number of actions, the number of things a user has to do to accomplish stuff, that can't come at the cost of functionality. If there's a thing - Clumpiness or Kink or whatever - that you would routinely have to go through and change across the body, then I need to support that as easily as possible.

I am SO open to adding any such useful features, provided I can work out how to do a thumbnail that represents them! (Kink I'm not so sure how to display, we'll have to see how obvious it is on my default Toon Generations thumbnails).

There is in fact at least one more "killer" feature to add, if I can manage to do it, that came out of spit-balling behind the scenes. I HOPE that TrueHair as-is will make a HUGE difference in take-up of Poser Dynamic Hair, but if I can get THAT feature (or THOSE as there are two alternative design concepts) then it will revolutionise TrueHair before it even gets released!

But first I want to consolidate TrueHair. Get all the base functions up-to-date to the same level and add in Clumpiness and Kink. I tend to think of TrueHair like an ocean. If you look at it it's pretty and all, but MOST of the complexity is buried underneath. I found Vue to be like that. The user interface is initially so simple that it sucked me in - I had zero fear because there was too little to be afraid of. Later on you learn about all these hidden context-sensitive things that aren't readily apparent. That's a design goal for TrueHair. To be really easy - simple even - to use for the basics, but to have surprising power underneath the hood.

I updated Density+ and Density- to the current design yesterday, but have not documented them yet - but the .docx that I am writing the manual in has 31 pages and weighs in at 11.4MB. Hidden depths.

Cheers,

Cliff

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Oh yeah - this is not to mention that I have a couple of smaller extras to write too - "Grow" and "Shave". My son worked out exactly what they're supposed to do from the Thumbs, but I haven't even started writing them yet - consolidate first, then write new stuff!

Grow.png

Shave.png

Cheers,

Cliff

PS let's hope I don't forget to write them!

Miss B

Drawing Life 1 Pixel at a Time
CV-BEE
You are making such nice progress Cliff. Can't wait to see it finished. :)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
Me either! Especially some of the new and shiny new features that I haven't started yet. Patience... I must learn patience... anyone know how to play?

Cheers,

Cliff

Miss B

CV-BEE
Patience isn't always one of my strong points, but I always give it a fair trial. ;)

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
One of my frustrations with the Hair Room has always been to do with the number of body parts that I have to make changes across before I render to even get a chance to see what effect my changes are making.

Here we've got the HW House Cat being abused again - this time with default RootWidth, clicking RootWidth- twice from default, and clicking RootWidth+ twice from default. The images surprised me slightly - hence my posting them here - and give a great example of why I want to make changes *across the whole body* to render them and see what they look like.

Cheers,

Cliff (Yes, I'm updating, testing, and documenting "RootWidth" at the moment)

CatRootWidth-2.jpg

CatRootDefault.jpg

CatRootWidth+2.jpg

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
These renders may well leave you cold - but for me they're reminding me of just how flexible the dynamic hair first introduced in Poser 5 really is. Tip width - 4 clicks, default, and + 4 clicks.

TipWidth-4.jpg

TipWidth.jpg

TipWidth+4.jpg

Miss B

CV-BEE
You're really working it Cliff. You definitely have more patience than I do.

Cliff Bowman

Adventurous
You're really working it Cliff. You definitely have more patience than I do.

Aaaaaand today concluded the current pass of updates and (my, basic) testing. Hopefully tomorrow (or 'soon') I'll move on to adding features.

As for patience - I wouldn't even contemplate such tests across an entire figures without some Python scripts to do the heavy lifting.

Cheers,

Cliff